Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Homer Hall of Fame
(11-14-2021, 03:57 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Any way you could do an email blast to them to say something to the effect of "Hey, haven't seen you in a while.  The Bengals are challenging for the AFCN crown, so stop in and say howdy and let us know what you've been up to."   

I always wonder what happens to people that stop posting.  Did they die, or jut lose interest in the team and/or board?  Call me the sentimental type that needs closure, I guess.

I thought that I would check in so it can be recorded for posterity that I am still on the sunny side of the ground.   Wink

I was on the old board since at least 2010, or at least that was the earliest that I remember actually posting on the draft. (I have been a Bengals fan since the franchise's inception and a Reds fan since 1964. I live in Pennsylvania but would get 700 WLW every night.) 

I decided not to transition to this new board, when the old one closed, because I found that the dynamic was affecting my fun; that is, I found myself rooting against certain Bengal players because of the positions I'd taken on certain hot button Bengal issues. It became hell: rooting for the Bengals to win and certain players not to have good games. I am not certain why the old board closed, but I suspect it became too toxic for the franchise. 

But, I have followed this new board dozens of times each day since its creation. I am lurking and enjoying the dynamic and really have grown to appreciate some great posters. I only created an account now because I saw this thread and felt it time to make this note. I would add that I am now enjoying Bengals games so much more than ever, since I find myself rooting for all players because I don't have a horse in the race. As a result of recognizing my personality in terms of the above, I don't expect to be weighing in on too many discussions, but I will be reading all the comments.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 07:52 PM)Nepanyrush Wrote: I thought that I would check in so it can be recorded for posterity that I am still on the sunny side of the ground.   Wink

I was on the old board since at least 2010, or at least that was the earliest that I remember actually posting on the draft. (I have been a Bengals fan since the franchise's inception and a Reds fan since 1964. I live in Pennsylvania but would get 700 WLW every night.) 

I decided not to transition to this new board, when the old one closed, because I found that the dynamic was affecting my fun; that is, I found myself rooting against certain Bengal players because of the positions I'd taken on certain hot button Bengal issues. It became hell: rooting for the Bengals to win and certain players not to have good games. I am not certain why the old board closed, but I suspect it became too toxic for the franchise. 

But, I have followed this new board dozens of times each day since its creation. I am lurking and enjoying the dynamic and really have grown to appreciate some great posters. I only created an account now because I saw this thread and felt it time to make this note. I would add that I am now enjoying Bengals games so much more than ever, since I find myself rooting for all players because I don't have a horse in the race. As a result of recognizing my personality in terms of the above, I don't expect to be weighing in on too many discussions, but I will be reading all the comments.

Was this your handle on the other board as well?

Also, gotta say it crossed my mind many times to quit the board for this exact reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 09:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Wasn't the guy doing multiple fake accounts and PMing people called TigerBlood?

Was SteelCitySouth the guy who made some really funny comments about Message Board poster's pics?

Those posts had me laughing my ass off.

Does anyone remember the poster who's supposed father got on the boards and posted on his behalf?

Said he was seriously injured and was in the hospital.

Only to have the poster come clean that he totally made the whole thing up.

The details are fuzzy but was thinking in his fathers fictitious post he claimed his son was in a bad accident that should have killed him and almost did but if it weren't for him being big boned he certainly would have perished.  

Then said something about how much the board meant to him and was why he made the post for him and for people to leave comment. Lots of genuine people posted concern and then others started calling him out. Saying the verbiage and style was the same as his sons posting and they were not buying. 

Then he admitted the ruse. 

Would never make something up like that ever, but if I did ? Would never have admitted it to the Sherlocks who figured out after already going that damn far. Would have called them heartless rude people and supplied an address for the believers to send me donations and get well wishes and rode the ruse to the finish line.  Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:41 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was this your handle on the other board as well?

Also, gotta say it crossed my mind many times to quit the board for this exact reason.

This season has created it like never before. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:30 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This season has created it like never before. 

All I gotta say is this board is leaps and bounds above Facebook groups.

I joined one for some streaming options and man those people are nuts.

Talk about homers versus pessimists.

Wow.

The education level is pretty damn low there as well.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:36 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: All I gotta say is this board is leaps and bounds above Facebook groups.

Wow.

Absolutely. I had to leave three of them. I'm in one that's a lot more even keeled, but of course, there aren't many members on that one....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:41 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was this your handle on the other board as well?

Yes, that was my handle on the old board. I enjoyed reading comments from quite knowledgeable fans, and there was the highly entertaining Bengal Barry arc, until he finally came clean at the end and revealed it was all an act. I also remember feeling sorry for the sister of the kicker who had to endure some pretty harsh criticism of her brother.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 07:52 PM)Nepanyrush Wrote: I thought that I would check in so it can be recorded for posterity that I am still on the sunny side of the ground.   Wink

100% understand that!  I was the same way.  On a couple of old boards, in so deep it made certain aspects of fanhood less fun.  I took a huge step back on my emotional investment in sports in general, but lurked here for years before finally deciding to come back around.  I still stay out of certain discussions and areas to avoid the negativity.  Overall, though, I think it's a super positive and supportive community at this point!  
Reply/Quote

I would add that I have seen a lot of posters take a strong position on a player but then are able to transition to rooting for the player they once denigrated as the player begins to perform well.  It just wasn't my personality, and I recognized that. But this board seems to have a lot of people willing to forgive and forget and move on, as we are all Bengals fans and want to enjoy the experience.
Reply/Quote

Actually, I realize that I was probably Nepany on the old board, the NEPA for Northeastern PA where I live and the NY for New York were I was working. I will probably re-establish as just Nepa given that I don't work in NY anymore. NEPA (the region) is a big Steelers, Jets, and Giants area, so a bit of a minority here. But only a keyboard away from great Bengals fans. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:45 AM)Nepanyrush Wrote: Yes, that was my handle on the old board. I enjoyed reading comments from quite knowledgeable fans, and there was the highly entertaining Bengal Barry arc, until he finally came clean at the end and revealed it was all an act. I also remember feeling sorry for the sister of the kicker who had to endure some pretty harsh criticism of her brother.

That was Shane Graham’s sister. Her handle was BengalSis.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:36 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: All I gotta say is this board is leaps and bounds above Facebook groups.

Wow.

Well, it is Facebook, soooooo…
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Wow.

So the Facebook groups are all from Alabama???   Ninja Ninja

*Yes, that was some love for UC's upcoming game.

As for the board, Holic and the mods make this place work. I have no idea how, but they do an amazing job of keeping the peace amongst some of the most extreme views out there. It's a huge credit to them.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 01:55 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Well, it is Facebook, soooooo…

I had no idea how crazy facebook was until I started using it last year for some family stuff.  I had an account for years but only went there a few times a year.

I thought it was mostly just a bunch of older people sharing recipes, family photos, and happy birthday/graduation/ new baby stuff.  But it is a haven for loonies.  And facebook is designed to find all the looney stuff they want to hear without even having to look for it.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:30 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This season has created it like never before. 

No doubt. I was thinking more about the half-decade long Dalton debate, but this year was so bad I don't even want to say the names.

(12-07-2021, 01:06 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: That was Shane Graham’s sister. Her handle was BengalSis.

I always defended Shayne. Good kicker. We always seem to hate our kickers. Probably because we only remember the misses.

(12-07-2021, 01:55 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Well, it is Facebook, soooooo…

FB groups are mostly low IQ people. Twitter is the nuthouse.

Social media in general just sucks. Except for message boards, of course.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 05:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I had no idea how crazy facebook was until I started using it last year for some family stuff.  I had an account for years but only went there a few times a year.

I thought it was mostly just a bunch of older people sharing recipes, family photos, and happy birthday/graduation/ new baby stuff.  But it is a haven for loonies.  And facebook is designed to find all the looney stuff they want to hear without even having to look for it.

I’ve had a Facebook account for like 15 years now. At this point, I only use it for the messenger app, which I have for an ongoing chat with my friend group, and one with my family.

If you didn’t have to have a Facebook account to have messenger, I would have deleted it years ago. It has gotten so bad, it’s hard to describe. In my opinion, it’s incredibly bad for society as a whole.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 06:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: FB groups are mostly low IQ people. Twitter is the nuthouse.

Social media in general just sucks. Except for message boards, of course.

I’ve mostly only used Reddit for the last 3-4 years, plus sporadic message board use. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are incredibly toxic websites/apps.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 11:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely. I had to leave three of them. I'm in one that's a lot more even keeled, but of course, there aren't many members on that one....lol.

Some of these Facebook groups have an overabundance of keyboard "I will fight you" warriors on them.

Seriously, some of them would stalk you if they had a chance.

It doesn't matter if they are a total homer or pessimist about the team.

Completely mental.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 09:25 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: I’ve mostly only used Reddit for the last 3-4 years, plus sporadic message board use. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are incredibly toxic websites/apps.

Reddit can be too, depending on the community for each page. People get downvoted to oblivion for silly reasons. That said, it's better than most places. I love some Reddit groups I'm in.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 10:22 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: You guys are either talking about the “Klotsch Uncensored” board, or this has happened more than once, which wouldn’t surprise me.

Klotsch Uncensored was the 2nd major board to open up during the Mothership days. Bengals World was the first. I believe it was late 07/early 08. I know a chunk of the users on there were furious with Joe from Flo. He was on a ban frenzy during those times. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote