Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officiating crew is done
(01-16-2022, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow, Bengals fans squealing about the NFL conspiracy against them the day after we get a wrong call in our favor.  You may not agree with the rule, but an inadvertent whistle means replay the down.

Every fan of every NFL team will be able to tell you a time they were "robbed" by the refs.  But, like a lot of Bengal fans, they forget the ones that went in their favor.

It is called "implicit bias".

And not long after making fun of Chiefs fans for complaining the game was rigged.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow, Bengals fans squealing about the NFL conspiracy against them the day after we get a wrong call in our favor.  You may not agree with the rule, but an inadvertent whistle means replay the down.

Every fan of every NFL team will be able to tell you a time they were "robbed" by the refs.  But, like a lot of Bengal fans, they forget the ones that went in their favor.

It is called "implicit bias".

DingDing
Reply/Quote
Also,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
Reply/Quote
I'll own the biased label... Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 05:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.
Certain media personalities all of a sudden act like it's more important to go on the technicality.
If the whistle had been blown, they replayed the down, and it didn't result in a TD, I'd be livid.

It would have resulted in a TD. Don't let those media DB's stain the victory.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 05:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It would have resulted in a TD. Don't let those media DB's stain the victory.

Those damn Defensive Backs!  Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:27 PM)TheFan Wrote: The NFL literally created a new rule due to the refs screwing the Saints with the missed PI vs the Rams. They also came out and said the call was wrong like they have for a number of all really bad calls. 

We had other calls go our way in the Raiders game as well as against us. 

I thought of that specifically I couldn't remember if they made a statement about that or not. While they did literally make a rule about that exact play. The officials refused to overturn a ruling no matter how blatant it was until coaches stopped challenging it. Then it was gone after the 1 year. I should say I don't think the NFL or officiating is rigged but there are things that could be done better.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 05:39 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I thought of that specifically I couldn't remember if they made a statement about that or not. While they did literally make a rule about that exact play. The officials refused to overturn a ruling no matter how blatant it was until coaches stopped challenging it. Then it was gone after the 1 year. I should say I don't think the NFL or officiating is rigged but there are things that could be done better.

I think anyone who's watched even 1 football game could agree with that lol 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yeah, officials screw that up all the time (not awarding the TO prior to the snap) and let the play stand, even though a player or coach (in this case both) were clearly trying to call for one.  They often due award the TO, but there is CLEARLY an official trying to blow the play dead or stop everyone prior to the snap, and that absolutely did NOT happen here.  Personally, I think this was the make up call for awarding the TD after the errant whistle.

Yeah I'm trying to remember so I may be wrong. But didn't Burrow try and call a timeout last second last year in the first Browns game resulting in a turn over when the ball got snapped and got past him?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 05:39 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I thought of that specifically I couldn't remember if they made a statement about that or not. While they did literally make a rule about that exact play. The officials refused to overturn a ruling no matter how blatant it was until coaches stopped challenging it. Then it was gone after the 1 year. I should say I don't think the NFL or officiating is rigged but there are things that could be done better.

I think Bill Cowher nailed it post game when talking about the whistle play.  To paraphrase, he said we all could hear the whistle on the replay, and it's past time for the league to embrace the available technology that can make the calls correct and remove any errors so the officiating does not impact the perception or outcome of the game.

(01-16-2022, 05:50 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I'm trying to remember so I may be wrong. But didn't Burrow try and call a timeout last second last year in the first Browns game resulting in a turn over when the ball got snapped and got past him?

That sounds vaguely familiar, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Reply/Quote
They were bad. I’m not going to comment on whistlegate because it’s moot and everyone has made up their minds.

However, they definitely made up for it by make several errant calls in favor of Raiders, so it is what it is. It was a very terrible officiating crew. We had our fair share of playoff issues with refs even just looking back at 2015, when a coach grabbed out players hair on the sideline, and an assistant coach got in the middle of the field jawing with the players- neither of which accrued penalties. What comes around, eventually goes around.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals usually are on the wrong side of bad officiating. It’s great for them to be on the right side of it for once.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:17 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: One of these days. the NFL will decide to hire refs full-time, rather than having officials who have other jobs. OTOH, that hasn't exactly paid dividends for MLB.

There's no financial incentive for them to do that.

People will ***** and moan but still be glued to the games. 

They're complacent with the current state of officiating.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't want to go down the rabbit hole. But I do think its strange that the NFL even made the statement that the Ref crew won't do anymore playoff games. Kind of saying they messed up and with that being the biggest play in question. When every NFL fan has seen way more egregious calls and the only statement the NFL makes is to double down and say the call was correct.

The paranoid fan in me worries about next weeks game. No matter who we play it will be a tough game to win. The last thing we need is the Refs looking to correct they're perceived mistake.

NFL never made this statement. It was reported by outside reporters that the crew was done. The NFL hasn't thrown the crew under the bus publicly. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yup.  And that seems to ALWAYS be the case with Jerome Boger's crews.  I know that this unit was not his regular crew (which baffles me that they split crews up that have worked together for 18 weeks); but the same crap happens with them as well.

I don't know what kind of pictures Jerome has that keeps him being a referee, because he is always terrible at that job.

Is Jerome the Angel Hernandez of pro football?
Reply/Quote
So is the narrative now seriously the Raiders got screwed because the refs didn’t award them a technicality stop?

Like really?

Is this the new level of pu*** of the NFL?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 08:51 PM)packerbacker Wrote: The Bengals usually are on the wrong side of bad officiating. It’s great for them to be on the right side of it for once.

Not really when you factor in the play in question was a TD period. They essentially turned a bad Raider player into a crybaby whinfest because a refs blew a stupid ass whistle
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:24 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm confused, was the bad call when Burrow was in the air and threw it for a TD, but he was out of bounds but never touched?

Or was it a different play?

The complaints came because the whistle sounded a fraction of a second before Boyd caught Burrow's throw, but the officials ruled that it sounded after the catch. Some people are trying to make the case that the defenders slowed down in response to the whistle, which allowed the Bengals to score. That's bogus, though. Boyd was already wide open, and the defense was beaten. The whistle sounded literally a fraction of a second before Boyd caught the pass. Not enough time to have made a difference in the outcome of the play. Burrow was in bounds when he threw the ball. 
Reply/Quote
Was I the only one that was scared to death they were going to stop the extra point on Uzomah's TD? As he went down the ball came out and I just knew they were about to stop to take a longer look.
Reply/Quote
The only way "whistle gate" would have been really a problem would have been if they actually had taken the TD away and forced the play to be replayed. The issue was the sounding of the whistle, and since Burrow clearly was in bounds, the ball was nearly in Boyd's hands and he was also WIDE open (as in no defenders within 2 yards). The wrong whistle had no effect on play and actually killing the play would have been the WRONG call.
Reply/Quote