Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BJ Hill On The Way Out?
(02-15-2022, 10:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sounds like a guy who is thankful he went from a bad situation to a Super Bowl.

If you're reading this as a goodbye, I think you're reading something that isn't there.

This is how I would interpret his message as well.  According to a man I know in NC, who played HS football with Hill, he's one of the most down to earth, genuine people you'll ever meet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sounds like a guy who is thankful he went from a bad situation to a Super Bowl.

If you're reading this as a goodbye, I think you're reading something that isn't there.

That's the way I take it as well. He's packing his bags and leaving Cincinnati for the summer. I highly doubt the front office has even talked to his rep yet. And I doubt any player on a one-year deal would be so presumptuous to post something along the lines of "See ya next season" Instead, it's a classy goodbye on the way out the door with hope to return.
Reply/Quote
We all know Mike Brown prefers, if possible, to re-sign his own players. Why would he let one of our best D- Linemen go out the door only to have to replace him with someone else. We will have Reader, Topou and Shelvin. Shelvin hasn't shown he's ready to make a difference yet. Naw, we'll re-sign both Hill and LarryO
Reply/Quote
"it was fun" isn't Hill saying, "peace out biotches, it's bidding season!" He was expressing his enjoyment for being a Bengals player this season and giving thanks to the fans of Cincinnati. I'm sure it was sincere. We all know it's a business and Hill will smartly go to a situation that he feels is best for his financial security, career, and other factors like if he has a family, for example.

I hope he remains with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
We need to resign at least him OR Larry O. Preferably both. They might get Larry O on another 1 year deal because of his injury (unfortunately for him). I think they let Apple go, cut Wayne’s and restock in FA or draft back there. (They might get Apple back cheap because everyone hates him, lol).

Honestly, I don’t think our defense needs much if we can resign bates and a couple of the 1 year guys. We get Ossai back and can draft some depth. It may not be top 5, but it’s definitely top 15.

If we allocate a majority of our resources to the O-line, then we don’t need a world beater defense, as I think our offense will take another jump.
Reply/Quote
I see only one of Larry O or Hill getting resigned. And I'm ok with that if it means signing an additional OL starter. The $ is going to be about the same.

Even with all the salary cap space, I think people are going to be surprised how quick it goes away with how many spots they have to sign.

And they aren't going to be the highest bidders on all these guys. The front office being shrewd negotiators isn't going to change because they went to the Super Bowl. I think we see 3 or more comp picks from this year's free agency.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That’s what I’m thinking. Can’t imagine a decision would have been made yet.

well that would be tampering if it had
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well that would be tampering if it had

Do you mind being more specific on what you think would be tampering? I don't think this is what he's saying, but a player is allowed to say they won't resign with a team really at any time. And I believe since the Bengals are his current team, they can try to resign him at any time. 
Reply/Quote
Sounds like hes going into priesthood to me.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:54 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Do you mind being more specific on what you think would be tampering? I don't think this is what he's saying, but a player is allowed to say they won't resign with a team really at any time. And I believe since the Bengals are his current team, they can try to resign him at any time. 

IF he knew he was leaving it would be cause there is a deal in place somewhere....      cant imagine the Bengals said nah we dont want you back already.

The thread is about people thinking hes leaving due to the tweet.  So if he knew he was leaving it can only really be 2 things 1 the bengals told him hes gone.. (hard to imagine)  or 2. his agent got him a deal somewhere which would be tampering at this point. (or i guess he could retire lol)

So its MOST likely the tweet doesnt mean what people think in regards to him leaving
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:13 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: IF he knew he was leaving it would be cause there is a deal in place somewhere....      cant imagine the Bengals said nah we dont want you back already.

The thread is about people thinking hes leaving due to the tweet.  So if he knew he was leaving it can only really be 2 things 1 the bengals told him hes gone.. (hard to imagine)  or 2. his agent got him a deal somewhere which would be tampering at this point.  (or i guess he could retire lol)

So its MOST likely the tweet doesnt mean what people think in regards to him leaving

3- It simply could be that he'd like to play somewhere else. 
4- His agent tried to negotiate an extension with the Bengals during the season and they realize the Bengals aren't going to offer what he could get on the open market.

Sorry, just picking nits on the tampering comment and agree his tweet probably doesn't mean anything. The past tense of the tweet if what probably has people worried. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:39 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'd like to see him back. He played well when we needed him to.

We really needed to stop LA on that last drive and didn't. That's when we needed everyone the most, including BJ. But it is what it was..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Our defense is what won us many of the games this year. Personally I would love to see them all back, with the exception of Hargraeves. I would like to draft a Corner, or bring one in to compete with Apple and whoever loses can be signed for depth.
Reply/Quote

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Our defense is what won us many of the games this year. Personally I would love to see them all back, with the exception of Hargraeves. I would like to draft a Corner, or bring one in to compete with Apple and whoever loses can be signed for depth.

I completely agree with this.    I'd love to see both DJ and Og back as well as the rest of our D.    I've been on the cut Hargreaves train since he ran onto the field to celebrate the interception.    I understand the camaraderie and being excited, but he had to know that was going to be a flag since he wasn't suited up.    Even if he is suited up, stay off the field and celebrate with the rest of the unit on the sidelines - especially if you weren't on the field during the play.   SMH.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the way I take it as well. He's packing his bags and leaving Cincinnati for the summer. I highly doubt the front office has even talked to his rep yet. And I doubt any player on a one-year deal would be so presumptuous to post something along the lines of "See ya next season" Instead, it's a classy goodbye on the way out the door with hope to return.

Can we even talk with him or his reps now that the season is over prior to March 14th?
Reply/Quote
the league year does not end for another month. All our free agents are under contract until then. We can certainly talk to any of them and extend them at anytime between now and then,

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:19 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I took it as it wasn’t gods plan for them to win the super bowl and just thanking the team for trading for him. Far as free agency goes I always thought it was either him or Larry OGunjobi coming back not both ,there both starters in this league.

Thinking the same. We still have the best shot at bringing him back sure of it. We are the guys who traded for him and gave BJ a
chance. Bet anything he wants to stay with this team, we were THAT close to winning the entire thing and we are young and should
be better next season. There isn't a team out there that is more promising. Plus he fit in this system extremely well.

Same with Ogunjobi if he comes back, we will see. I don't take that tweet as a bad thing for us, at least not yet. So early.

Still got a month before FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sounds like a guy who is thankful he went from a bad situation to a Super Bowl.

To me it reads as damn near a retirement post

But at the very least it kinda reads as a guy that got offered a big contract elsewhere
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:06 PM)Housh Wrote: To me it reads as damn near a retirement post

But at the very least it kinda reads as a guy that got offered a big contract elsewhere

I'm genuinely curious on how you could possibly come to this conclusion without assuming there's some kind of cryptic hidden message to decipher in "it was fun".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote