Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow Ranked As 2nd-Best QB In The NFL By ESPN!
ESPN ranked the top ten QBs in the league and ranked Burrow second behind Mahomes!

I love that he's getting this much respect and I think he'll blow the roof off the league with his best offensive line yet!

Quote:Burrow hasn't exactly hurt his standing in the pantheon since last year's voting -- he's still considered one of the game's very best and won a close race for No. 2 -- but his growing injury file has planted a seed of doubt.

He played conservatively early in the season while managing a calf strain, and the wrist injury suffered in a Nov. 16 loss at Baltimore all but derailed Cincinnati's season. Burrow had surgery to repair a torn ligament but is participating in offseason workouts and the early returns are good. His 51.8 QBR of 2023 was far below the previous two seasons.

"High level in all areas, can't stay healthy," said an AFC scout, referencing Burrow's ACL tear in 2020 as part of the bigger concern. "No [Joe] Mixon and the Tee Higgins holdout are big concerns." There's little debate about Burrow's greatness when he's healthy and spinning it. His career completion percentage of 68% is the highest in NFL history through a player's first four seasons (minimum 1,000 attempts).

He hasn't been able to stay healthy but he has also been getting destroyed by defenses because of shitty line play. The article doesn't even mention the line at all, which is surprising to me since he has accomplished so much with bad lines.

Quote:"Baller. Release. Decision-making. Tough as nails," said a veteran NFC offensive coach. "One play away from already having a ring. And young so the injury not as concerning."

Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase are tracking to become one of the all-time great pass-catching duos. Since Chase entered the league in 2021, Burrow has thrown 22 touchdown passes that traveled 20-plus air yards. But while Chase is in the long-term plans, the Bengals franchise-tagged Higgins, who has requested a trade and hasn't signed his tender.

Several evaluators say Burrow is the common denominator who can offset a personnel loss or two.

"Burrow is still probably the most consistent of all the guys," an NFL executive said. "A pure thrower who's in complete command of the offense and comes up big in big moments. He knows when to attack and be aggressive vs. when to take the easy yards. And the dude is so tough."

I like how that scout did mention that Burrow was one play away from a Super Bowl victory and, he doesn't mention it, but the line was the reason for the play failing.

I love the mention of Chase because I think those two put up one of the best seasons ever for a QB-receiver duo.

I think we see his full potential of being a pure passer now that he should have a line that gives him some protection.

It's going to be a big year!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 04:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think we see his full potential of being a pure passer now that he should have a line that gives him some protection.

We've been saying this about every year for the past few years, have we not?

2020:
LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Michael Jordan
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - Alex Redmond
RT - Bobby Hart

2021 - Bengals replaced Jordan and Hart with FAs Quinton Spain and Riley Reiff, plus Jackson Carman in the draft should push out Redmond/Adeniji! Finally, a good OL!

2022 - Bengals added Karras, Cappa, and Collins in FA and added Volson in the draft to compete with Carman at LG! Now it's really a good OL! This is the year!

2023 - OMG Orlando Brown was added! Seriously, this is really the year!

2024 - Holy cow, Trent Brown in FA AND Amarius Mims in the draft?! THIS HAS TO BE THE YEAR!!

The reality is none of OBJ, Volson, Karras, or Cappa has been dominant at this point in their Bengals careers, and two new guys coming to the team who we haven't seen in stripes yet. On paper, this OL should be damn near dominant, but I'm personally trying to factor in the previous few years' worth of history that maybe this OL won't be.
I want to see them in action the first month or even two before I really feel the OL is ready to even be considered average, let alone above average.

Yes, some might consider me pessimistic, but how can I not be after seeing this OL underperform for the past 4+ years despite adding player after player after player?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We've been saying this about every year for the past few years, have we not?

2020:
LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Michael Jordan
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - Alex Redmond
RT - Bobby Hart

2021 - Bengals replaced Jordan and Hart with FAs Quinton Spain and Riley Reiff, plus Jackson Carman in the draft should push out Redmond/Adeniji! Finally, a good OL!

2022 - Bengals added Karras, Cappa, and Collins in FA and added Volson in the draft to compete with Carman at LG! Now it's really a good OL! This is the year!

2024 - Holy cow, Trent Brown in FA AND Amarius Mims in the draft?! THIS HAS TO BE THE YEAR!!

The reality is none of OBJ, Volson, Karras, or Cappa has been dominant at this point in their Bengals careers, and two new guys coming to the team who we haven't seen in stripes yet. On paper, this OL should be damn near dominant, but I'm personally trying to factor in the previous few years' worth of history that maybe this OL won't be.
I want to see them in action the first month or even two before I really feel the OL is ready to even be considered average, let alone above average.

Yes, some might consider me pessimistic, but how can I not be after seeing this OL underperform for the past 4+ years despite adding player after player after player?

I get your skepticism, but a few things that I forgot to mention are that he's finally healthy enough to be under center and mobile (the article mentions health but not much in detail) and how a very much improved running game will make Joe's life a lot easier, as well as lining up under center again makes it more difficult for defenses to just tee-off on the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We've been saying this about every year for the past few years, have we not?

2020:
LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Michael Jordan
C - Trey Hopkins
RG - Alex Redmond
RT - Bobby Hart

The 2022 oline was playing well, injuries all struck at the wrong time. Only starters in the AFFCG was volson and Karras and Karras had a knee sprain.

2023, injuries to Joe burrow severely limited the offense. It was only a 2 game sample, when burrow/mostly everyone was healthy, but the bills/niners only accounted for 4 sacks total.

Idk, I’m more optimistic this year. Could be a fallacy, but just where I am at.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2024, 09:24 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The 2022 oline was playing well, injuries all struck at the wrong time.  Only starters in the AFFCG was volson and Karras and Karras had a knee sprain.  

2023, injuries to Joe burrow severely limited the offense. It was only a 2 game sample, when burrow/mostly everyone was healthy, but the bills/niners only accounted for 4 sacks total.  

Idk, I’m more optimistic this year.  Could be a fallacy, but just where I am at.

Injuries will happen.
Question is is the depth there to compensate for it?
It hasn't been there in years past.

While unproven, at least Mims gives some optimism for depth at the OT positions.
I'm not expecting elite play out of either of the Browns though, but I do expect at least solid play.
IOL is probably what I'm concerned about.
Karras and Cappa are solid, but it's real questionable behind them. Will Matt Lee and/or Trey Hill be up to the task if called upon?
And last...Volson. Is he the Volson we saw the second half of last season, or will he regress back to the mediocre-at-best Volson we've come to know?

We'll have to see, but I don't see any stud performers on the OL right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The reality is none of OBJ, Volson, Karras, or Cappa has been dominant at this point in their Bengals careers, and two new guys coming to the team who we haven't seen in stripes yet. On paper, this OL should be damn near dominant, but I'm personally trying to factor in the previous few years' worth of history that maybe this OL won't be.

This is me as well

I want to believe this will be the best Oline Joe has had. However, until I see it on the field I'm not going to be all rah-rah. I'm also hoping the 1st team Oline does at least a couple series in pre-season. I'm just not a fan of starting the season cold turkey.
Reply/Quote
The scout saying "No Joe Mixon is a concern" completely discredits this entire article.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I rank Burrow just behind Mahomes myself. I think with more under Center, better OL play and a RB that can pick up
the blitz in Zack Moss could result in him passing Mahomes if he can stay healthy. Wouldn't take Mahomes over Burrow.

I also think having better TE's will help this Offense. I really like Gesicki as a pass catcher and Sample at H-back should
really help in protection. Could be a great year for Burrow, we will see, I am excited.
Reply/Quote
We should all get buzz cuts to show our support for Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2024, 03:50 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: We should all get buzz cuts to show our support for Joe Burrow.

lots of hype for Joey B this yr
I assume his wrist is 99% ready to go?
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 04:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: ESPN ranked the top ten QBs in the league and ranked Burrow second behind Mahomes!

I love that he's getting this much respect and I think he'll blow the roof off the league with his best offensive line yet!

He hasn't been able to stay healthy but he has also been getting destroyed by defenses because of shitty line play. The article doesn't even mention the line at all, which is surprising to me since he has accomplished so much with bad lines.

I like how that scout did mention that Burrow was one play away from a Super Bowl victory and, he doesn't mention it, but the line was the reason for the play failing.

I love the mention of Chase because I think those two put up one of the best seasons ever for a QB-receiver duo.

I think we see his full potential of being a pure passer now that he should have a line that gives him some protection.

WHO-DEY!

Of his 3 injuries,  one was break down in oline, 1 we assume happen on a typical play with pressure that ALL QBs face and one was non contact related,  

As for the article, Burrow should be discussed in top 5 QB in league in any QB ranking right now.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2024, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I rank Burrow just behind Mahomes myself. I think with more under Center, better OL play and a RB that can pick up
the blitz in Zack Moss could result in him passing Mahomes if he can stay healthy. Wouldn't take Mahomes over Burrow.

I also think having better TE's will help this Offense. I really like Gesicki as a pass catcher and Sample at H-back should
really help in protection. Could be a great year for Burrow, we will see, I am excited.

Stop.

When Joe has 3 rings, we can start talking about him being on par. On Par. There's very little chance he ever "passes" Mahomes. Mahomes likey will be considered the GOAT before he even retires. 

If Joe can get a single ring, i'll be ecstatic but let's keep it real and shelf the "pass" part. It's literally not ever realistic at this point. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 05:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I get your skepticism, but a few things that I forgot to mention are that he's finally healthy enough to be under center and mobile (the article mentions health but not much in detail) and how a very much improved running game will make Joe's life a lot easier, as well as lining up under center again makes it more difficult for defenses to just tee-off on the pass rush.

Everything you list are reasons to be *hopeful* things will be good.
However, until we see it on the field, I'll never say something like "finally has a good OL" because it may not end up the way we think it should.
And previous years of performance have taught me to hope for the best but expect less.
Instead, I would say something like, "On paper, this should be the best OL Burrow has had, so I am hoping he'll finally have good blocking."
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2024, 11:15 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Stop.

When Joe has 3 rings, we can start talking about him being on par. On Par. There's very little chance he ever "passes" Mahomes. Mahomes likey will be considered the GOAT before he even retires. 

If Joe can get a single ring, i'll be ecstatic but let's keep it real and shelf the "pass" part. It's literally not ever realistic at this point. 

Of course I understand what you are saying Rfaulk, Joe Burrow needs to start winning the Lombardi's like Mahomes has before we 
even put him with him. I just think it should start happening soon as long as we put the right players around Burrow. In my opinion 
Joe has all the makings to do it. We will see. Love our chances this year at making a run at the entire thing and I like our chances to 
beat Mahomes and the Chiefs in doing so.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2024, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I rank Burrow just behind Mahomes myself. I think with more under Center, better OL play and a RB that can pick up

I could see the argument that Burrow could be #2 best in NFL, but he is not in the rear view mirror of Mahomes. , that man is 15-3 in playoffs with four SB appearances and three SB championships.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2024, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Injuries will happen.
Question is is the depth there to compensate for it?
It hasn't been there in years past.

While unproven, at least Mims gives some optimism for depth at the OT positions.
I'm not expecting elite play out of either of the Browns though, but I do expect at least solid play.
IOL is probably what I'm concerned about.
Karras and Cappa are solid, but it's real questionable behind them. Will Matt Lee and/or Trey Hill be up to the task if called upon?
And last...Volson. Is he the Volson we saw the second half of last season, or will he regress back to the mediocre-at-best Volson we've come to know?

We'll have to see, but I don't see any stud performers on the OL right now.

(07-16-2024, 11:37 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is me as well

I want to believe this will be the best Oline Joe has had. However, until I see it on the field I'm not going to be all rah-rah. I'm also hoping the 1st team Oline does at least a couple series in pre-season. I'm just not a fan of starting the season cold turkey.

Until we can run the ball we can’t get back to the Super Bowl. They know its efficiency isn’t there and why teams don’t respect the RPO and we fear a crashing Rush End. Forcing us to disdain the RPO. If we can it will ridiculously open up this offense. Gesicki is our best receiving TE with Burrow. Burton potentially gives us the most dynamic third WR we’ve had. Isovias is a budding receiver. Chase Brown is as explosive as any running back. But I’m like the both of you. Burn me once, burn me twice….. Freaking make 4th or 3rd and 2 automatic. Be able to be effective in the run game
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2024, 11:37 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is me as well

Absolutely, keeping the OL "fresh" and injury free through the preseason has resulted in nothing but calamity on the field and losses on the scoresheet to start the season the past couple of years. If something obviously isn't working, it's time to go back to what historically does work.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2024, 04:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I could see the argument that Burrow could be #2 best in NFL, but he is not in the rear view mirror of Mahomes. , that man is 15-3 in playoffs with four SB appearances and three SB championships.

Burrow and the Bengals are the one team that has given Mahomes and the Chiefs problems. If there is a QB in Mahomes rear view mirror 
to make him look over his shoulder it is Joe Burrow. As Rfaulk and you say the Championships are completely on Mahomes side but I believe
Joe Burrow is going to win some of them himself. Sure as hell hope so and hope it starts this season.
Reply/Quote
When Joe gets a little time he is dominant. His accuracy is almost unreal and his football IQ is stellar. I believe he is the second best at this time with potential to be #1.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2024, 11:49 AM)M.W. Wrote: When Joe gets a little time he is dominant.  His accuracy is almost unreal and his football IQ is stellar. I believe he is the second best at this time with potential to be #1.

Definitely agree M.W.  Cool
Reply/Quote