Poll: Where's IOL
1-5
6-12
13-19
20-26
27-32
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RANK OUR IOL (2024)
(07-13-2024, 11:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: These rankings truly blow me away. For the past few seasons, I've heard folks harp on the poor RAS scores for the OL, as well as ditching zone and running more gap-power concepts. Well, almost any NFL caliber OL can run gap-power unless they're very undersized. Not everyone can run outside zone. The fact that people are screaming for more under center gap-power is a symptom of an untalented IOL group that struggles mightily to make second level blocks. This isn't a middle of the pack IOL. It's a below average one that people are trying to camouflage with concept changes.

This board is mainly homers. What do you expect?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2024, 09:18 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: This board is mainly homers. What do you expect?

This is true, but I'm surprised by those that think Mims cannot play on the interior
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2024, 09:18 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: This board is mainly homers. What do you expect?

Unless everyone votes bottom 5 in every category regardless of the facts you would say this.

Mid pack is what pretty much everyone voted here and that is not a homer vote.

(07-13-2024, 10:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is true, but I'm surprised by those that think Mims cannot play on the interior

Same here, Mims isn't like Carman who only played one position in college. I understand the thought of keeping Mims eyes on RT, but he 
CAN play on the interior if needed with his balance, strength and athleticism and his coach said he can play all across the line with his hands.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2024, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Disagree as does PFF mid to late last season. This IOL had a stretch being one of the best in the NFL so it is not out of the question that 
with more under Center play from the QB that they could be mid pack lol

Haven't seen anyone saying they are even top 10 here. We are really overrating our IOL by saying they might be middle of the pack lol

I hear this being thrown around a lot lately, but I haven't seen or been able to find an article referencing it.  Do you have a link?

Beyond that, we had the 26th ranked OL per PFF last year.  If we had a top IOL for a long stretch, that ranking would logically be significantly higher.  
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 10:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: I hear this being thrown around a lot lately, but I haven't seen or been able to find an article referencing it.  Do you have a link?

Beyond that, we had the 26th ranked OL per PFF last year.  If we had a top IOL for a long stretch, that ranking would logically be significantly higher.  

the interior is sub-par. dont entertain anyones delusions about Volson/Karras/Cappa being a league average trio. 

Maybe it would be an average trio if Volson was average, but he's not. He's actually quite bad

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2024, 10:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: I hear this being thrown around a lot lately, but I haven't seen or been able to find an article referencing it.  Do you have a link?

I don't know how many times Nicomo and others have shown the PFF rankings mid to late last season on here.

I also don't know how to list them so I would need someone like Nicomo to put them on here again.

All I know is I saw them and Karras was great mid to late last season and Volson also had a stretch of being really good and Cappa 
might be the best of the 3. Our IOL being middle of the pack is not some out there idea like you and Frank are making it out to be.

(07-15-2024, 11:03 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: the interior is sub-par. dont entertain anyones delusions about Volson/Karras/Cappa being a league average trio. 

Maybe it would be an average trio if Volson was average, but he's not. He's actually quite bad

He is quite bad at times and quite good at times. Volson is just very inconsistent. We will see if he improves and becomes average this
year or better. If not, I am ready for a change at LG.
Reply/Quote
I would've picked 27-32 except that there seem to be enough bad combinations that Ted brings it up to the 20-26 group just barely. Cappa and Volson shouldn't be NFL starters. Remember that Cappa had worse PFF grades than Volson most weeks last season.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2024, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Please stop with the "Mims can't play OG" crap. Johnathan Ogden (6'9") played LG his rookie season and did quite well. Also I believe it really didn't hamper his future progress as a LT.

I realize some of you love to love on Volson and will never change, no matter what film and statistics show. 

I'm all about getting the 5 best olinemen on the field

It's not about Volson love, I really don't care if he plays or if he's replaced. I just think putting Mims in there is a mistake, while you and others assume he can just play the position. I'd rather him concentrate on tackle, where we'll likely need him before the season is over. 
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2024, 09:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's not about Volson love, I really don't care if he plays or if he's replaced. I just think putting Mims in there is a mistake, while you and others assume he can just play the position. I'd rather him concentrate on tackle, where we'll likely need him before the season is over. 

Perhaps I assume he can play IOL, but you asserted he cannot. I'm just not ready to assert or assume he cannot.

I want the 5 best linemen on the field protecting the franchise. If one of the Browns goes down; I doubt Mims forgets how to play OT (I get I'm just assuming he won't forget). I'd rather him get gameday stats. but we've been over this before.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2024, 08:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps I assume he can play IOL, but you asserted he cannot. I'm just not ready to assert or assume he cannot.

I want the 5 best linemen on the field protecting the franchise. If one of the Browns goes down; I doubt Mims forgets how to play OT (I get I'm just assuming he won't forget). I'd rather him get gameday stats. but we've been over this before.

Right, I do kind of assume he would struggle at guard because his height says he would. Maybe he would be a great guard. My main point though is every practice rep he takes at a guard position is one he does not take at the tackle position. We need him to be a tackle, not a guard. I really do not expect Brown to play 17 games this season (but he might). At any rate, there is talk now of Mims taking the starting RT gig.  Maybe Gilliam or Kirkland will step up in camp and take the starting LG position. I'm all about the best 5 on the field as long as it does not hamper the development of a first-year player. I think putting Mims in at guard would do just that.
Reply/Quote