Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RT is set
Mims needs to start. He’s earned it, he looks the part, he’s the future and at his point benching him now for Brown whenever he returns may stunt his bubbling growth.

Brown may not want to be a backup but Brown should be fighting for a roster spot and I’ll be watching other RT not named Mims these preseason games to see if there’s a younger backup RT option (Ford) that can practice and (hopefully be trusted health wise to play) consistently.

As far as my football eye is concerned the starting RT spot is won. 

Well done Mims. Congratulations. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2024, 09:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mims needs to start. He’s earned it, he looks the part, he’s the future and at his point benching him now for Brown whenever he returns may stunt his bubbling growth.

Brown may not want to be a backup but Brown should be fighting for a roster spot and I’ll be watching other RT not named Mims these preseason games to see if there’s a younger backup RT option (Ford) that can practice and (hopefully be trusted health wise to play) consistently.

Long way to go but its sure trending that way
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The back up swing tackle IMO is almost as important as the starter. Depth has killed our SB dreams as much as any other issue in the past few years.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling Trent Brown is going to be a surprise cut.
Reply/Quote
The signs are positive but they’ve only been in pads 2 days…

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2024, 09:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mims needs to start. He’s earned it, he looks the part, he’s the future and at his point benching him now for Brown whenever he returns may stunt his bubbling growth.

Nope, the man has zero nfl plays vs a good nfl veteran at this time
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 12:57 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I have a feeling Trent Brown is going to be a surprise cut.

Nah 2m of Brown's 4.75m contract was a signing bonus and the only guaranteed cash.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 01:06 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Nope, the man as zero nfl plays vs a good nfl veteran at this time

This.
Reply/Quote
Pump the brakes. Doing it against guys like Myles Murphy and Joseph Ossai in practice is a whole lot different than doing it against Myles Garrett and TJ Watt in a game.

Glad everything we’re hearing is encouraging wrt Mims, but Trent Brown is plenty good himself when he’s actually on the field.

Reply/Quote
How has he earned it and Trent Brown has not? FWIW, the injury card won't get you too far when advocating for Mims
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Going to need them both at some point. Regardless of who starts.
Reply/Quote
Sorry, regardless of who starts, the only way cutting Brown makes sense is if he isn't one of the 9-10 best OL on the roster. Most of the OL depth, aside from Lee, are in contract years. Makes zero sense to cut him.
Reply/Quote

Mims has not earned anything @ this point in time..Yet, it would appear that he certainly was a good first round draft choice and will be an integral part of this teams future
Reply/Quote
It would be stupid to hold him back if he is performing well. Hopefully we don’t do something stupid. Trent being the 6th OL in a jumbo package might be a useful tool.
Reply/Quote
I have questions on if Brown will be a backup. He’s got some suspect character flaws flaming out with the Raiders and issues in NE with the coaching staff….

I’d keep him too if he bought in.

Mims will definitely have to show it in preseason games, but you can’t just sit an ascending player who is a first round pick at a position of need. Not for an oft injured 1 year rental who has already gotten off to a rocky start.

You guys have a nice amount of faith in Brown still. I’m surprised with how the spring unfolded there aren’t more questions about him. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 12:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: I have questions on if Brown will be a backup. He’s got some suspect character flaws claiming out with the Raiders and issues in NE with the coaching staff….

I’d keep him too if he bought in.

Mims will definitely have to show it in preseason games, but you can’t just sit an ascending player who is a first round pick at a position of need. Not for an oft injured 1 year rental who has already gotten off to a rocky start.

You guys have a nice amount of faith in Brown still. I’m surprised with how the spring unfolded there aren’t more questions about him. 

Brown is playing for his NFL life. I’d expect him to mount a challenge. He busts here he’s done. But he’s running out of time.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 01:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Brown is playing for his NFL life. I’d expect him to mount a challenge. He busts here he’s done. But he’s running out of time.

I think that's making it way too dire sounding. He can play both LT and RT. Maybe he's playing for his NFL Starting life, but he'll have backup work in the NFL for at least another 4 years after this one as long as he wants it. The NFL is OT-starved and as long as you have some good tape somewhere and aren't considered a problem in the locker room, you seem to be set for a job somewhere in the NFL.

Heck, Cedric Ogbuehi played for 8 years and was still around on practice squads for at least part of 2023. Jonah Williams got 2yr/$30m with $19m guaranteed at signing despite allowing 20 sacks the last 2 years. The Vikings signed Hakeem Adeniji in 2023, and then the Browns signed him for 2024. Riley Reiff was already old and broken down for us in '21 for his age 33 season... but he still was signed by the Bears in '22 for $3m and the Patriots in '23 for $5m.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
Kind of a good dilemma to have! Trent needs to get back into the fray tho. I still think he will be the starter, but we will see a lot of AM playing, remember we are going to be playing into February. Going to take all hands on deck during this long season.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 12:57 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I have a feeling Trent Brown is going to be a surprise cut.

Believe the O-Line is vastly improved with Mims coming in, but don't think the Bengals are proven enough just yet just to throw away and cut good O-linemen. 

Expecting to see some jumbo packages even with six O-linemen on certain plays. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm in if the coaches deem he's earned it by the end of camp.

Which opens the door for an offensive line that looks like this:

LT O. Brown
LG T. Brown
C   T. Karras
RG A. Kappa
RT A. Mims
Reply/Quote