Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RT is set
Has Mims ever played as OG during his College years? Maybe he can replace Volson while he gains some experience.
Reply/Quote
Love Mims, but not enough to trust him with keeping Burrow upright and healthy.

Keep Brown in and work Mims in to get him acclimated.

Maybe a different opinion after week 5.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 01:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think that's making it way too dire sounding. He can play both LT and RT. Maybe he's playing for his NFL Starting life, but he'll have backup work in the NFL for at least another 4 years after this one as long as he wants it. The NFL is OT-starved and as long as you have some good tape somewhere and aren't considered a problem in the locker room, you seem to be set for a job somewhere in the NFL.

Heck, Cedric Ogbuehi played for 8 years and was still around on practice squads for at least part of 2023. Jonah Williams got 2yr/$30m with $19m guaranteed at signing despite allowing 20 sacks the last 2 years. The Vikings signed Hakeem Adeniji in 2023, and then the Browns signed him for 2024. Riley Reiff was already old and broken down for us in '21 for his age 33 season... but he still was signed by the Bears in '22 for $3m and the Patriots in '23 for $5m.

You are right starting life … except he’s on a 1 year deal. Backups usually are young players because don’t vets have to be paid more?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2024, 09:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mims needs to start. He’s earned it, he looks the part, he’s the future and at his point benching him now for Brown whenever he returns may stunt his bubbling growth.

Brown may not want to be a backup but Brown should be fighting for a roster spot and I’ll be watching other RT not named Mims these preseason games to see if there’s a younger backup RT option (Ford) that can practice and (hopefully be trusted health wise to play) consistently.

As far as my football eye is concerned the starting RT spot is won. 

Well done Mims. Congratulations. 

It seems Mims has taken the spot with TB not able to practice this is true. I hope Mims does well and have confidence in him unlike most 1st 
round rookie OL. Mims just looks really polished, great balance and can get crazy low for a man that is 6'8". But keep Trent Brown around is all
I can say. He is a cheap proven swing Tackle and Mims wasn't able to stay healthy as much as you would want at Georgia.

We are definitely in a lot better spot at RT going into this season than last no question.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2024, 09:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mims needs to start. He’s earned it, he looks the part, he’s the future and at his point benching him now for Brown whenever he returns may stunt his bubbling growth.

Brown may not want to be a backup but Brown should be fighting for a roster spot and I’ll be watching other RT not named Mims these preseason games to see if there’s a younger backup RT option (Ford) that can practice and (hopefully be trusted health wise to play) consistently.

As far as my football eye is concerned the starting RT spot is won. 

Well done Mims. Congratulations. 

Well, did you notify thw front office you've made the decision???
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 04:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are right starting life … except he’s on a 1 year deal. Backups usually are young players because don’t vets have to be paid more?

Think it's a bit like backup QBs. If you're getting one of the top backups, you're willing to spend $4-7m on a proven vet backup. Otherwise you go $900k-$2m who are generally younger and you save money.

If you have a young unproven OT or a guy with injury concerns, it pays to have a vet backup who you are sure brings a certain floor. People are spending too much on QBs.

La'el Collins is still in the NFL and he's making $1.75m to be a backup for the Bills. The extra ~$750k over a rookie contract to make sure your $45-55m/yr QB has a certain floor of production (while saving you the draft pick to use elsewhere) doesn't seem like a real burden. There's still plenty of teams that are using young guys as backups, but there's enough demand that solid vet OTs (even more so swing OTs) will not have a hard time finding work as a backup.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 06:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think it's a bit like backup QBs. If you're getting one of the top backups, you're willing to spend $4-7m on a proven vet backup. Otherwise you go $900k-$2m who are generally younger and you save money.

If you have a young unproven OT or a guy with injury concerns, it pays to have a vet backup who you are sure brings a certain floor. People are spending too much on QBs.

La'el Collins is still in the NFL and he's making $1.75m to be a backup for the Bills. The extra ~$750k over a rookie contract to make sure your $45-55m/yr QB has a certain floor of production (while saving you the draft pick to use elsewhere) doesn't seem like a real burden. There's still plenty of teams that are using young guys as backups, but there's enough demand that solid vet OTs (even more so swing OTs) will not have a hard time finding work as a backup.

I agree with this opinion. As of now, the starting job is Mims' to lose. Having Brown as an experienced swing Tackle is quite valuable insurance for Burrow, particularly seeing how none of the other recent T picks have developed into anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am waiting to see Mims in preseason games. The early reports are he is an athletic freak. Our 3 OT's Brown, Brown and Mims do not lack strength.

I hope we get Brown healthy, so he is ready week 1, if that means start or back up, he has a ton of experience.

The fun becomes soon checking out the new guys and the vets in years 2, 3 and 4 to see if they have improved.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 06:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think it's a bit like backup QBs. If you're getting one of the top backups, you're willing to spend $4-7m on a proven vet backup. Otherwise you go $900k-$2m who are generally younger and you save money.

(08-03-2024, 07:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this opinion. As of now, the starting job is Mims' to lose. Having Brown as an experienced swing Tackle is quite valuable insurance for Burrow, particularly seeing how none of the other recent T picks have developed into anything.

Looking like that. I hear they slot dollars to position groups
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2024, 01:02 AM)pally Wrote: The signs are positive but they’ve only been in pads 2 days…

But sometimes you know....

Willie Anderson adn Munoz seem to be sure and I trust them alot
-Housh
Reply/Quote
between the 2 we should get a full season of snaps i think
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2024, 03:36 PM)Housh Wrote: But sometimes you know....

Willie Anderson adn Munoz seem to be sure and I trust them alot

they been wrong before
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2024, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: they been wrong before

Yep, wasn't Willie pretty high on Jackson Carman?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2024, 01:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, wasn't Willie pretty high on Jackson Carman?

Yes he was, but to be fair Carman did flash some good things at LT. He just cannot play well anywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2024, 01:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes he was, but to be fair Carman did flash some good things at LT. He just cannot play well anywhere else.

That is true. Shame he doesn't have some flexibility regarding positions.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
So Tbrown is Starting RT correct?
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2024, 12:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So Tbrown is Starting RT correct?

He gave me awful vibes in a recent interview. I don't think he's going to be an attitude fit for the team.

Which is crazy, because i'm pretty sure we didn't bring in Tart on the D-line for that very reason.
Reply/Quote
There is a growing belief from more and more people around the team that RT is now Mims to lose.

Only question is will Brown be a team player and be a backup. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Brown will be the swing tackle if he starts or not. Mims has only worked at RT and will only work at RT. Brown has played both and if he starts and we lose Orlando, he will slide over. Im quite sure it is way too early for the coaches to have determined who is starting RT, they haven't seen Brown in any competitive drills.

Reply/Quote
Here's my guess FWIW? T. Brown will be the game one starter, if he's healthy. He's a 9 year vet and has been good to really good when he's been on the field. And that's his issue! He's missed a bunch of games over last several seasons. And the Bengals know this.

But I'd also guess they're going to work Mims in a good bit and early in the season because of Brown's recent history. They're not going to want to get to game six and see T. Brown go out and have to pit Mims in raw.

But either way it goes I feel way better about RT this season.
Reply/Quote