Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to Saturday's game? Ticketmaster issues

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
God I miss paper tickets.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2024, 07:17 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: God I miss paper tickets.

Me too.... so simple.
Reply/Quote
What the hell is a digital wallet? Isn't that just taking a screen shot or something?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 09:29 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: What the hell is a digital wallet? Isn't that just taking a screen shot or something?

its like Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 09:35 AM)pally Wrote: its like Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc

Still not sure what it is because I don't use anything like that. The closest I've come to purchasing anything on my phone is a sammich through the McDonalds app. HAHA. I have a crypto account through coinbase and they encourage you to download a digital wallet there, but I didn't understand it or how to use it so I stayed away. Sounds complicated, which means some fans with tickets may struggle with this concept too.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 09:45 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Still not sure what it is because I don't use anything like that. The closest I've come to purchasing anything on my phone is a sammich through the McDonalds app. HAHA. I have a crypto account through coinbase and they encourage you to download a digital wallet there, but I didn't understand it or how to use it so I stayed away. Sounds complicated, which means some fans with tickets may struggle with this concept too.

It is a system that allows you to securely store credit cards, debit cards as well as things like tickets, sometimes various store reward cards, and now in some states even drivers licenses can be stored there and are considered an acceptable form of ID.  One example my gym also works with it so I don't have to carry the card on my key chain or in my physical wallet.  I just open the wallet on my phone and scan the code when I enter the gym.  I can also use it to make payments at places that accept it.  With a credit card and or debit card in my wallet I can use it to make contactless payments at stores that accept it by just holding my iPhone or Apple Watch next to the payment terminal.

With digital tickets it is often suggested to store them in the digital wallet because at large events Internet availability can be limited when there are 10s of thousands of people in the same area trying to connect. The tickets can still be accessed in the wallet without the need to access the Internet. From my understanding one reason you can't just take a screen shot is that some ticket providers actually refresh the digital code every so often so it changes.  I think this is done to prevent ticket fraud and for more security.  So if the code changes that screen shot is worthless. 

I can't speak for crypto wallets because I don't use crypto but my experience is that adding things to my digital wallet is fairly straight forward.  However, I've never used Ticketmaster but I am guessing it works like when I bought my Mom and her husband tickets through another service a few years ago.  Basically all they had to do was open the app of the provider and follow some prompts to add the tickets to the wallet.  That's how it worked with my gym card as well.  Adding payment methods is also pretty simple, same thing just follow a few prompts.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 09:58 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: It is a system that allows you to securely store credit cards, debit cards as well as things like tickets, sometimes various store reward cards, and now in some states even drivers licenses can be stored there and are considered an acceptable form of ID.  One example my gym also works with it so I don't have to carry the card on my key chain or in my physical wallet.  I just open the wallet on my phone and scan the code when I enter the gym.  I can also use it to make payments at places that accept it.  With a credit card and or debit card in my wallet I can use it to make contactless payments at stores that accept it by just holding my iPhone or Apple Watch next to the payment terminal.

With digital tickets it is often suggested to store them in the digital wallet because at large events Internet availability can be limited when there are 10s of thousands of people in the same area trying to connect. The tickets can still be accessed in the wallet without the need to access the Internet. From my understanding one reason you can't just take a screen shot is that some ticket providers actually refresh the digital code every so often so it changes.  I think this is done to prevent ticket fraud and for more security.  So if the code changes that screen shot is worthless.  

When my daughters and I went to the game last year, we had digital tickets. Their system at the gate read 2 of the 3 tickets so my daughters were in and I was left out. After calling a manager and then someone else to try and solve the problem, they just went ahead and let me in and did it manually somehow. So yes to the previously mentioned. I miss paper tickets as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 10:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: When my daughters and I went to the game last year, we had digital tickets. Their system at the gate read 2 of the 3 tickets so my daughters were in and I was left out. After calling a manager and then someone else to try and solve the problem, they just went ahead and let me in and did it manually somehow. So yes to the previously mentioned. I miss paper tickets as well.

Yeah paper tickets are nice also because the stub is kind of a souvenir.  But these days I suppose it's also a money saving thing since they don't have to print out all those tickets.  The enhanced digital tickets probably eliminated ticket fraud.  It's one of those things where I look back and think I prefer the old way but also like the security and convince of the new way.  Speaking of wallet changes many years ago I worked at a department store where we still had to run credit cards through the card imprinter that made carbon copies and had to be physically signed, a copy handed to the customer and another put in the cash register drawer. During the Christmas holiday I could hear the sound that thing made in my sleep. Now in a lot of cases i just hold my watch up to a small computer, wait for the beep and done.

As digital wallets are becoming more and more accepted even in some cases for official identification, I imagine not too long from now there will be no need to carry a physical wallet at all.  But really the phone is just a somewhat bulky wallet of its own with a lot more uses and it is also something no one leaves the house without these days.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 09:58 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote:
It is a system that allows you to securely store credit cards, debit cards as well as things like tickets, sometimes various store reward cards, and now in some states even drivers licenses can be stored there and are considered an acceptable form of ID.
  One example my gym also works with it so I don't have to carry the card on my key chain or in my physical wallet.  I just open the wallet on my phone and scan the code when I enter the gym.  I can also use it to make payments at places that accept it.  With a credit card and or debit card in my wallet I can use it to make contactless payments at stores that accept it by just holding my iPhone or Apple Watch next to the payment terminal.

I can't speak for crypto wallets because I don't use crypto but my experience is that adding things to my digital wallet is fairly straight forward.  However, I've never used Ticketmaster but I am guessing it works like when I bought my Mom and her husband tickets through another service a few years ago.  Basically all they had to do was open the app of the provider and follow some prompts to add the tickets to the wallet.  That's how it worked with my gym card as well.  Adding payment methods is also pretty simple, same thing just follow a few prompts.  

I've got news for you, unless you are carrying your phone around in a faraday bag, nothing on your phone is secure. People steal stuff off of phones by just walking by every day. Tickets I would not worry too much about, but credit and debit cards are something else entirely.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 01:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've got news for you, unless you are carrying your phone around in a faraday bag, nothing on your phone is secure. People steal stuff off of phones by just walking by every day. Tickets I would not worry too much about, but credit and debit cards are something else entirely.

And physical wallets are impervious to pick pockets, physical cards impervious to being lost and later found by a shady person, having the number stolen by an employee like at a restaurant or being exploited by card skimmers.   Tongue 

But yes I do believe it to be very secure.  I can't speak for the Google/Android system (I imagine it works pretty much the same) but for the Apple system for one it requires my actual input to confirm the transaction either biometric or using my pass code on the phone or watch.  My phone isn't just sitting in my pocket transmitting my unencrypted credit card number waiting for a device to connect to it and copy it.

Secondly speaking of encryption the data is encrypted and each time the encryption is used it changes.  This means even if the data was somehow intercepted by a thief it would be useless to them.  Also the range for NFC which is how the data is transmitted is less than two inches. Even then the card number is not transmitted instead using the dynamic security code. Digital wallets also have the added security of being safe from card skimming devices.    A thief would find it much easier to steal a physical wallet and credit cards.

I can only imagine the damage it would cause both Apple and Google if their very popular and highly used digital wallets were easily exploited by someone walking by with some kind of reader.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 01:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: And physical wallets are impervious to pick pockets, physical cards impervious to being lost and later found by a shady person, having the number stolen by an employee like at a restaurant or being exploited by card skimmers.   Tongue 

But yes I do believe it to be very secure.  I can't speak for the Google/Android system (I imagine it works pretty much the same) but for the Apple system for one it requires my actual input to confirm the transaction either biometric or using my pass code on the phone or watch.  My phone isn't just sitting in my pocket transmitting my unencrypted credit card number waiting for a device to connect to it and copy it.

Secondly speaking of encryption the data is encrypted and each time the encryption is used it changes.  This means even if the data was somehow intercepted by a thief it would be useless to them.  Also the range for NFC which is how the data is transmitted is less than two inches. Even then the card number is not transmitted instead using the dynamic security code. Digital wallets also have the added security of being safe from card skimming devices.    A thief would find it much easier to steal a physical wallet and credit cards.

I can only imagine the damage it would cause both Apple and Google if their very popular and highly used digital wallets were easily exploited by someone walking by with some kind of reader.

Well, I won't claim to be a technology expert because I most definitely am not. What I can say is I have a very close family friend who is a Cyber Security officer in the US Space Force (transferred over from the Air Force) and what she has told me and all her family members is don't have any banking or credit card information on your phone, and never ever use an Iphone. Why, I can't say because I don't know.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if it is worked out, but i called ticket office yesterday and to manage my tickets, they said don't use the app, go to bengals.com/am and you will be able to pull up your tickets
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2024, 01:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've got news for you, unless you are carrying your phone around in a faraday bag, nothing on your phone is secure. People steal stuff off of phones by just walking by every day. Tickets I would not worry too much about, but credit and debit cards are something else entirely.

As a banker, I tell my customers to do what I do to avoid people stealing your money: don't have any money to steal. Can't steal something you don't have.
[Image: OIP.P3MnaJ8DCWL2Rti5qCsirQAAAA?rs=1&pid=ImgDetMain]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, I won't claim to be a technology expert because I most definitely am not. What I can say is I have a very close family friend who is a Cyber Security officer in the US Space Force (transferred over from the Air Force) and what she has told me and all her family members is don't have any banking or credit card information on your phone, and never ever use an Iphone. Why, I can't say because I don't know.

When a card is stored on iPhone, the actual card information isn't stored. Instead, a brand new number is created called a DAN (Device Account Number) via a token service. This information is encrypted. When you pay using Apple Pay, your card information isn't sent to the vendor. Instead, the DAN is sent which then sends it to the vendor bank and the vendor bank submits a request to the token service which takes the DAN and returns the card information to the card network which then sends a payment request to the cardholders bank. It is incredibly secure, significantly more secure than carrying physical cards/cash. If someone were to obtain the DAN somehow, they wouldn't be able to do anything with it as the DAN isn't real card information. It's an encrypted, tokenized alternate card that represents your card. However, without running the information through the token service and requisite card network it is completely useless. Put more simply...

1. You walk into a store and buy some items. When the cashier tells you how much you owe, instead of paying with real money, you hand them a monopoly dollar. This dollar has identifying information that can be tied back to only you. 
  2. The store takes this monopoly dollar and sends it to their bank. 
  3. The bank then sends this dollar to a monopoly dollar manager. The monopoly dollar manager sends it to a translator who takes this dollar in and confirms that it matches all of the necessary details. 
  4. The translator sends it back to the monopoly dollar manager with information on how to contact your bank and get a real dollar. 
  5. They do so and a real dollar is delivered to the store, directly from your account. 
Your main concern is simply to protect your monopoly wallet (iPhone). If someone were to look at one of your monopoly dollars and get information from it, it would be useless without the actual dollar itself as that needs to be passed through the manager and translators. All of this happens digitally through incredibly secure channels and instantaneously. 
Reply/Quote