Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Daily observations from camp
(08-08-2024, 10:57 AM)Whatever Wrote: Every team in the league has to rely on young, unproven players at positions.  That's just the nature of a salary cap league.  You can't just go out and give up a boatload of picks for an All Pro just because you have young guys.

Yes you can. 

Teams do it. The Rams did it the year they beat us to win the Super Bowl. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving up picks to get a proven commodity. Teams value picks waaaay too much. 

The Bengals still have 20 million in cap space. You could really, really argue that they need to be more aggressive over the next 5 years with their spending and trading of picks to maximize the window of this team. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 08:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ted and Logan and a couple of others actually planned this to get others fired up and chippy

This isn’t scripted.

You really don’t believe this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 12:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yes you can. 

Teams do it. The Rams did it the year they beat us to win the Super Bowl. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving up picks to get a proven commodity. Teams value picks waaaay too much. 

The Bengals still have 20 million in cap space. You could really, really argue that they need to be more aggressive over the next 5 years with their spending and trading of picks to maximize the window of this team. 

Is Simmons on the block? What player would you want the bengals to go after? I agree that the bengals should be aggressive to try and go all in, but these hypotheticals for players that are not even available are silly.

The rams, while bolstering their team with vets, also had younger guys on the team as well, so that point stands.

The bengals had a hole at safety and brought in two guys this offseason. RT addressed with a vet and 1st round pick. DT saw us bring in 3 new additions.

Where would a splash trade make sense? What one position would put us over the top. I don’t disagree that we need to act with a sense of urgency, but I feel like the bengals are doing a good job of addressing needs and hole maintaining flexibility (to do with what they want).
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 12:29 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Is Simmons on the block?  What player would you want the bengals to go after?  I agree that the  bengals should be aggressive to try and go all in, but these hypotheticals for players that are not even available are silly.  

The rams, while bolstering their team with vets, also had younger guys on the team as well, so that point stands.  

The bengals had a hole at safety and brought in two guys this offseason.  RT addressed with a vet and 1st round pick.  DT saw us bring in 3 new additions.

Where would a splash trade make sense?  What one position would put us over the top.  I don’t disagree that we need to act with a sense of urgency,  but I feel like the bengals are doing a good job of addressing needs and hole maintaining flexibility (to do with what they want).

Perfect scenario:

The Broncos are in cap hell. They are going to be terrible this year. The Bengals are weak at corner and need to elevate the position.

Patrick Surtain is a really good cornerback on a bad team. He's on his rookie contract with a fifth year option next year. He's due 7 million this year and 19 million next year IF you want to pick up the option.

The Bengals should absolutely be trying to pull off a move like this. I'd offer a 3rd and 5th or possibly a 2nd. He'd instantly elevate this defense.

I wouldn't even call that "going all in". It's just making a move to enhance your team right now. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 12:29 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Is Simmons on the block?  What player would you want the bengals to go after?  I agree that the  bengals should be aggressive to try and go all in, but these hypotheticals for players that are not even available are silly.  

The bengals had a hole at safety and brought in two guys this offseason.  RT addressed with a vet and 1st round pick.  DT saw us bring in 3 new additions.

Where would a splash trade make sense?  What one position would put us over the top.  I don’t disagree that we need to act with a sense of urgency,  but I feel like the bengals are doing a good job of addressing needs and hole maintaining flexibility (to do with what they want).

I can give you one that makes perfect  sense for both teams and one that I would do because I think the player is due for a huge breakout season.

Trade Dax to Seattle for NT Jarran Reed 

Trade BJ Hill and a 2nd RD pick to Dallas for DT Osa Odighizuwa  and a 5th RD Comp pick.(would only do the deal if OSA agrees to long term deal. )
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 01:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Thanks Nicomo, made me feel better about McKinnley here. Sounds like a sprained knee. They suck big time, probably the most painful 
injury I have had, but you can get over them quicker than a lot of other injuries. Especially when you are on an NFL team with all the help
you can get as a player.

(08-08-2024, 11:16 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Surprised the Steelers would trade for Aiyuk.  I thought they had a glorious record of drafting wide receivers?  Why would they need one from outside the organization?

They do draft WR's well, but Aiyuk is proven and would be a nice pickup for them IMO.

Heard they are offering the 49ers something. Hope it falls through. I don't like Aiyuk after wanting to play for the stealers so it probably
happens and I get another stealer to hate lol
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 10:57 AM)Whatever Wrote: Every team in the league has to rely on young, unproven players at positions.  That's just the nature of a salary cap league.  You can't just go out and give up a boatload of picks for an All Pro just because you have young guys.

Tell that to teams in the AFCN. We've seen them all make moves and give up picks to upgrade. Some even mid season. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 12:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Perfect scenario:

The Broncos are in cap hell. They are going to be terrible this year. The Bengals are weak at corner and need to elevate the position.

Patrick Surtain is a really good cornerback on a bad team. He's on his rookie contract with a fifth year option next year. He's due 7 million this year and 19 million next year IF you want to pick up the option.

The Bengals should absolutely be trying to pull off a move like this. I'd offer a 3rd and 5th or possibly a 2nd. He'd instantly elevate this defense.

I wouldn't even call that "going all in". It's just making a move to enhance your team right now. 

I would be for this trade no problem. Well done providing a realistic trade thought for a player that would help us and could 
realistically be done. Really like Surtain as a player and we need 1 more Corner in case of injury or Dax/DJ don't play fantastic.

(08-08-2024, 12:47 PM)J24 Wrote: I can give you one that makes perfect  sense for both teams and one that I would do because I think the player is due for a huge breakout season.

Trade Dax to Seattle for NT Jarran Reed 

Trade BJ Hill and a 2nd RD pick to Dallas for DT Osa Odighizuwa  and a 5th RD Comp pick.(would only do the deal if OSA agrees to long term deal. )

Also not bad thoughts, doubt we would do this one though. Have heard lots of praise for Dax, the BJ Hill for Osa sounds a bit 
more realistic.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 12:22 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This isn’t scripted.

To be fair it did sound like when listening to Pitcher they wanted/needed to get a little tougher on Offense. I think it's possible the Offense had the task of toughing up after the last couple of practices it sounded like the Defense had won the day. 

it's not outrageous that their goal was to set a tone and toughen up. 

Reply/Quote

They have sat on their hands after the draft. Specifically at positions like RB, CB, and Guard. 

DT is only a thing now given the injuries, but they are still putting a ton on two rookies.

Reply/Quote
I'd be willing to give up a 1st for Surtain.

We are supposedly a top team and we don't have much luck picking 24-32 so that pick should willingly go to a proven talent.

There are more bad teams then good. And all of those bad teams are willing to pick up the phone and listen to trade offers. You don't have to wait until a player demands a trade. 

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 01:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: They have sat on their hands after the draft. Specifically at positions like RB, CB, and Guard. 

DT is only a thing now given the injuries, but they are still putting a ton on two rookies.

It is not even a question. We are about the least aggressive team in the NFL as far as adding proven outside help with known names
and we value draft picks more than about any other team. Us being a little more aggressive wouldn't be a bad thing at all. We depend
on rookies a ton as well which usually isn't a good plan if you are wanting to win the entire thing.

Even a trade for Osa like you said would be an "all in" move for us compared to other teams like the stealers or Chiefs where it would 
be a pretty regular move for them.
Reply/Quote
I know we aren't an aggressive team, and we will never be. But relying on these rookies and young players feels more like laying in the bed that was made and not a secured belief that they have hit with the pick.

and we have too much on the line during this championship window to be proving a point (you drafted them, make it work or fail).

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 06:49 AM)Synric Wrote: This is where I'm worried about Andre Iosivas headed into the season. Can he consistently make combat catches especially across the middle of the field and maintain control while taking big hits. 

(08-08-2024, 08:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ted and Logan and a couple of others actually planned this to get others fired up and chippy

(08-08-2024, 12:22 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This isn’t scripted.

Hey I posted too I thought it was scripted. If you were going to script those guys would be who’d you tap. I really think it was. Nothing there on that tackle was that big of deal. It was scripted. All of it probably not.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I just read that the Bengals signed former Steelers backup NT Carlos Davis for depth on the DL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Why would Denver give a great CB on a rookie deal to save million dollars in 2024? It would be great trade for us and suck for Denver getting less than a 1st round pick for a 1st round who has played like a 1st round pick.

This is not fantasy football, this trade is pure fantasy and Denver GM should be fired if he did it. Broncos could save 6 million by cutting/trading Tim Patrick.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote

(08-08-2024, 02:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why would Denver give a great CB on a rookie deal to save million dollars in 2024? It would be great trade for us and suck for Denver getting less than a 1st round pick for a 1st round who has played like a 1st round pick.

This is not fantasy football, this trade is pure fantasy and Denver GM should be fired if he did it. Broncos could save 6 million by cutting/trading Tim Patrick.

Denver ain’t doing that deal in. Million years. Their salary cap hell is an issue but not for ‘24. They’d do it for a first rounder but then that’d be bad for us.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 02:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why would Denver give a great CB on a rookie deal to save million dollars in 2024? It would be great trade for us and suck for Denver getting less than a 1st round pick for a 1st round who has played like a 1st round pick.

Thanks for this. A 24 year old two time probowl, first team all pro is not getting traded for less than a first round pick. Pat surtain is easily a top 5 CB in the league.

A similar player, Jalen Ramsey, in 2019 at 24 years old, was traded for two firsts and a 4th to the rams.

Like you said, this isn’t realistic on multiple fronts. I doubt the broncos are even open to trading him and the compensation a 2nd plus something, won’t get it done. Lol
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 02:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Denver ain’t doing that deal in. Million years. Their salary cap hell is an issue but not for ‘24. They’d do it for a first rounder but then that’d be bad for us.

They wouldn’t do it for a first. See Jalen Ramsey 2019 trade as a comparable player/comp package.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2024, 02:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Denver ain’t doing that deal in. Million years. Their salary cap hell is an issue but not for ‘24. They’d do it for a first rounder but then that’d be bad for us.

Why would it be bad for us?

Reply/Quote