Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dehner's rookie grades
(08-09-2024, 11:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dehner isn't a scout or talent evaluater - he's a journalist. I take this entire list with a grain of salt.

He's watching practices.  There is a LOT of 1on1 in practices.  You can tell the ass kickers when you watch it every day.
Reply/Quote
I really hate camp reports. I think these guys see someone with a few plays and think they are killing it, meanwhile they are actually out of place half the time. It just seems like the hype machine for players is rarely right.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='1496102' dateline='1723209049']

I wouldn't put much into that just yet. Interior DL are typically slow to develop and get up to NFL level. Now, come week 12 of the season and we still don't see him getting a fair amount of rotational reps, then I start wondering what is going on with him.
[/quote]

Even Geno needed one year to get up to speed at UT for us: if Jenkins contributes at all this year, it will be a boon, but I wouldn't expect any serious contribution until next year.

His father's and uncle's stats in their first year, if bloodlines mean anything (including Cullen because he's more similar in body type):

KJ (2nd round, pick 44, Michigan): 16 G, 11 GS, 0 coverage stats, 1 FR, 2 sacks, 34 tackles (27 solo), 7 TFL
CJ (Undrafted, Central Michigan): 16 G, 6 GS, 1 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR, 4.5 sacks, 18 tackles (12 solo), 6 TFL

Not bad for either of them but not amazing either. With our depth at the position (UT, not NT), if Jenkins gets his father's sack numbers with his uncle's tackle numbers, I'd be happy with that.

Then he puts on weight for next year and he takes over for BJ.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
There's usually a camp and preseason hero who gets a lot of ink then on cut down day people get pissed they were cut and you never hear about them again..It's tough being the greatest thing since sliced bread. It usually gets stale or eaten.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote