Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analysis TB Preseason Game
I will start with 2 vets. I am an optimist and was hoping Carman and Evans would show marked improvement. Sadly, Evans appears slow, and Carman spent the night get beat over and over again including the last play on 4th and 10.

I will be shocked if he is not cut.

As for positives, Higgins, Burrow, Irwin and the 1st team OL with Mims at RT was solid, albeit 1 drive, but looked good. The problem our running game push and opening holes was not there all night.

Our defense played a lot of vanilla coverage and seldom blitzed. Newton made a great play. Overall, I have concerns with our defense, but with no Hubbard and no Trey, not sure Rankins played or played much so 3 huge pieces so hard to tell.

On to next week of practice and next preseason game.

Forgot to mention Yoshi and Burton also looked good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
Yoshi, Burton, Mims -- looked really good.

Both punters had good games.

Browning had a dreadful game. Fortunately, the Bengals know his talent from last season. Logan Woodside was really sharp: a 137 rating. Sure, the competition was weak, but he was a delight to watch.

But Carman played a lot, started bad, and stayed bad. I don't remember an OL getting his name mentioned as much as Carman did -- all for bad reasons. I guess one could say he stood out.
Reply/Quote
IDL is bootycheeks and Kris Jenkins ain’t living up to the hype
Reply/Quote
Offensive line kept Burrow completely clean for one drive. Actually all three QBs stayed pretty clean. Running game looked porous although starters seemed to open some decent holes for Brown in the first drive. Defense still scares me.

Not completely sure why Burton was playing with the 3rd/4th string. Outside of our top 5 WRs (Chase, Higgins, Yoshi, Irwin and Jones) he was easily the best receiver of the backups. Good speed and strong hands.

Cut Carman yesterday.
Beginning and end of game was fun. Middle was pretty boring.
Reply/Quote
First team defense looked pretty good when it was in. First team offense likewise looked sharp, but I did wonder why no Zack Moss. Yoshi looked good too.

Second team defense left a lot to be desired. And I don't care if they are backups a certain minimum level of competence should be expected. I know we did not have Jackson and Rankins was only in one series. Jenkins had a rough start but got a bit better as the night went on. The big problem on backup defense was blown coverages (as usual) and wrong angles on run plays. It's like if they don't have Bell and Stone out there the defense's brains just gush out of their ears.

Backup offense was weird. Under Browning they looked terrible and part of that was Browning himself. His accuracy was off and he STILL takes too long to read the field and decide. Notice the night and day offensive showings with Browning and Woodside with basically the same or worse personnel. The biggest difference? Woodside was decisive out there and kept the offense running at a higher tempo.

Also the coaches did not do the offense any favors with the overly simplified and unbalanced (both run-pass and shotgun-under center were WAY out of whack) playcalling.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2024, 11:59 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yoshi, Burton, Mims -- looked really good.

Both punters had good games.

Browning had a dreadful game. Fortunately, the Bengals know his talent from last season. Logan Woodside was really sharp: a 137 rating. Sure, the competition was weak, but he was a delight to watch.

But Carman played a lot, started bad, and stayed bad. I don't remember an OL getting his name mentioned as much as Carman did -- all for bad reasons. I guess one could say he stood out.

I thought Woodside was excellent.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Zach Moss didn’t play because h was sick

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
The interior DL had a rough game including Jenkins. Cedric Johnson and Jeffery Gunter looked really good as 3rd string DEs.... Kwamie Lassiter might not make the Practice Squad.

I'll rewatch it this week slightly more sober.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Run game defence was still terrible, Jenkins got beat constantly and Ossai hesitated badly for a Tampa TD.

DJ Turner got beat a couple of times and the middle of the field was wide open on too many plays.

Carman needs cutting today, there will be better/cheaper options when cuts happen will go down as one of the worst picks in Bengals history.

Browning was awful, gave the receivers no chance to make a play for his pick threw to the wrong shoulder even if it was an awful effort from the WR to have the ball ripped away like that.

Now for the positives.

The back up edge rushers looked good created pressure got a couple of sacks need to keep that up during pre season.

Burton, I think we’ve got one here yeah he was against scrubs but showed some great speed and solid hands on his catches the stadium sounded great on tv when he grabbed his td.

Mims and the rest of the starting OL looked the best they ever have even against 2nd stringers created space for the run kept Burrow clean and it’s a great sign going in to the season.

Newton looks like he could be a solid CB 3/4 looked like he had a ladder to get his pick.

All in all a solid work out and some really positive signs going in to the season.
Reply/Quote
Nothing on the field was as bad as Jackson Carman. A few things I didn't like, but it was preseason game #1, so not a panic situation, but how can the Bengals cut a single player and Carman still has a locker?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
-I actually really liked a lot of the pre snap motion we saw with the first team. About 75% of all snaps had a pre snap shift, which is progress to the offense we had not seen before. Historically, Burrow likes the offense set but it would appear they have added these additional shifts which is a good sign I think for the continued evolution of the offense.

-Burrows deep ball to Higgins, even in double coverage, was perfect. It literally hit him in the facemask as the perfect trajectory. It was a tough catch for Tee, but to see Burrow that accurate feels like a lot of the offseason talk about him working on the deep ball wasn't smoke.

-The run game is still a bit of a mystery. I'll hold my concern there until we get a bit deeper in, but it really would be great if we could see Brown or Moss break a few this pre season.

-Irwin and Losivas appear to be really solid WR 3/4 option and then you have Burton who looks like he may give us an additional deep thread that let's Chase play inside a lot more. While the middle and back of our WR room may not be household names I think we are pretty solid throughout.

-Oline from a pass protection standpoint looked good. Burrow was getting the ball out quick, but he never really looked like he got moved off his spot which is good to see. Mims looks the part as he should against the competition.

-Myle Murphy looks to be coming along which is good to see. He was getting a good amount of pressure, and a few non holding calls that I think get called in regular season.

-The interior DL as others have said is an issue. We will see what Ranking and Hill bring to the table but the younger guys definitely have a lot to learn still.

-Josh Newton could end up being a dark horse to be CB 2 across from CTB by some point in the season, yea I said it. He continues to make plays. We have heard about it in camp and we saw it last night. He got cracked but that happens, his coverage though was pretty good all night and his INT was nice to see.

-I am still very concerned about the punters. We really should consider looking for a veteran that may be on the bubble.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2024, 12:33 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Offensive line kept Burrow completely clean for one drive. Actually all three QBs stayed pretty clean. Running game looked porous although starters seemed to open some decent holes for Brown in the first drive. Defense still scares me.

Not completely sure why Burton was playing with the 3rd/4th string. Outside of our top 5 WRs (Chase, Higgins, Yoshi, Irwin and Jones) he was easily the best receiver of the backups. Good speed and strong hands.

Cut Carman yesterday.
Beginning and end of game was fun. Middle was pretty boring.

You answered your own question about Burton. He's buried on the depth chart. WR is stacked. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Burrow looked good and no one got hurt. Biggest thing.

This defense is going to be below average this year. They didn't do enough to address CB or IDL.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2024, 09:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Burrow looked good and no one got hurt. Biggest thing.

This defense is going to be below average this year. They didn't do enough to address CB or IDL.

I second that emotion.
Reply/Quote
1) Jackson looked very bad again
2) Woodside looked very good..sharp and brought energy
3) they should be giving Mc Clachlan? Tyler......number 84 more looks ..he looks and plays like Gronk
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2024, 09:04 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You answered your own question about Burton. He's buried on the depth chart. WR is stacked. 

Yeah, no. The guys I named were either not playing or done after the first series. He’s clearly better than Pryor, Lassiter, and Jackson who all played abundantly more snaps/or got more targets.

Thanks for being condescending though.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2024, 11:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will start with 2 vets. I am an optimist and was hoping Carman and Evans would show marked improvement. Sadly, Evans appears slow, and Carman spent the night get beat over and over again including the last play on 4th and 10.

I will be shocked if he is not cut.

As for positives, Higgins, Burrow, Irwin and the 1st team OL with Mims at RT was solid, albeit 1 drive, but looked good. The problem our running game push and opening holes was not there all night.

Our defense played a lot of vanilla coverage and seldom blitzed. Newton made a great play. Overall, I have concerns with our defense, but with no Hubbard and no Trey, not sure Rankins played or played much so 3 huge pieces so hard to tell.

On to next week of practice and next preseason game.

Forgot to mention Yoshi and Burton also looked good.

Im not sure Evans looked slow he actually had two effective returns (one nulled by penalty), and only Brown had a couple effective runs, though he also had two negative runs, so the running game lacked across the board.  Outside of Carman, the person i think failed last nite was Ossai, Gunter has a solid game and Johnson  also played well, the 1st game was important for Ossai to set a tone for the preseason and he failed.
Reply/Quote
Think Brown and Moss will be fine at RB. Yet still think the Bengals should pounce on any decent RB cut because the depth is just not there if injuries happen.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2024, 09:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: -*****

-I am still very concerned about the punters. We really should consider looking for a veteran that may be on the bubble.

Agreed, they could do with better punters. But both Robbins and Rehkow had a good preseason game, at least relative to what we saw in the regular season last year. Rehkow averaged 56 yards on his 3 kicks and Robbins averaged 50. Rehkow did have one go into the endzone, but it was close, hitting at the 2 yard line. Robbins had one inside the 20. I think they had enough hangtime, although there were short returns on 4 of the 6 kicks.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2024, 09:51 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, no. The guys I named were either not playing or done after the first series. He’s clearly better than Pryor, Lassiter, and Jackson who all played abundantly more snaps/or got more targets.

Thanks for being condescending though.

I heard Burton had been practicing with the 3s all week. Basically since coming back from his ankle tweak so maybe that just slid him down since they were easing him back in practice. Glad he showed out in his role especially hearing he had just a small family showing of just bringing his mom and sister to the game. Not only because that sounds humble but because that sounds like a great night for his family.
Reply/Quote