Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Orlovsky: Ranking NFL quarterbacks by trait
In an ESPN article posted this morning, Dan Orlovsky ranks the QBs in the NFL by a variety of traits, making a top 10 for each. In those rankings, Burrow's rank is as follows:

Arm Strength: Unranked

Ball Placement: Number 1

Quote:There's a difference between accuracy and ball placement: Accuracy is the ability to throw the ball to your guy, while ball placement is keeping it away from the defender. An accurate quarterback gets the pass to a spot where his receiver can make the catch. A quarterback with strong ball placement gets the pass to a spot where only his receiver can make the catch. Trajectory, touch, anticipation and field vision all play a role.

Burrow is the best in the game here, but Tagovailoa is really close. I think Burrow stands out in true ball placement, while Tagovailoa might be the most accurate passer in the league. Both quarterbacks rank in the top five in completion percentage since their 2020 draft year -- Burrow is third (67.8%), while Tua is fifth (67.4%).

Mechanics: Number 1

Quote:Who is a natural thrower? Who has the best footwork? Who moves well within the pocket and always plays in rhythm? It all factors into mechanics. When things are clean, I'm looking for a repetitive throwing motion. And when things aren't clean, I'm looking for the ability to make it work because of a strong base.

That's why Burrow leads the way -- he is always ready to throw and can smoothly repeat the motion rep after rep. Stroud has that same ability, and Goff is equally consistent when his pocket is clean.

Decision Making: Number 3

Pocket Presence: Number 2

Quote:A quarterback with strong pocket presence operates effectively in the pocket even when things are chaotic around him. Can he recognize and avoid pressure? Can he move efficiently and calmly under duress? When I built this top 10, I looked for those who were at their best when the situation was at its worst.

Mahomes is fantastic in this regard -- he feels the pressure, doesn't panic and moves around, all while keeping his eyes downfield. Burrow is right behind him, and I don't know that anyone is better than him in the league at working in a phone booth. Stroud has already impressed in that area, too, especially on money downs.

Rushing Ability: Number 8

Quote:I put Mahomes, Prescott and Burrow on here mainly because of their scrambling ability, a category they all excel in (Mahomes was actually second in scramble attempts last season with 50).

Second-Reaction Ability: Unranked

I agree with all of these rankings except for Second-Reaction Ability. Dan describes it like this:

Quote:Being able to make a play is central to QB success, and the best in the league excel at making off-schedule and off-platform throws. These second-reaction passes from different arm angles -- often on the move -- can be the difference between moving the sticks and a stalled drive. They require serious creativity at times. Mahomes -- the obvious No. 1 on the list -- is elite in this trait.

What strikes me as odd is this was kind of Burrow's calling card in college. Something he's continued to do in the NFL (think the 4th down pass against the 49ers in the back of the end zone or the picture perfect pass on the run against the Texans). So I don't know why Dan didn't feel Burrow earned a top 10 space here. It's possible he felt bad leaving a lot of the highest paid QBs off these lists until now, and just wanted to throw a few other QBs a bone. This trait, along with rushing ability, are the only ones Jalen Hurts shows up on. Jordan Love is also scarcely on these lists (7th in pocket presence, 6th in decision making, 5th in second-reaction ability). And then Caleb Williams and, for some reason, Gardner Minshew, make their lone appearances in this trait ranking.

Maybe I'm just being salty, cuz Burrow is ranked top 3 in 4 major traits. It just seems like he should have been top 3 in 5 traits is all :)
Reply/Quote
Could the lack of ranking in Second Reaction Ability have something to do with the number of times something positive happens after a play or protection breaks down compared to the number of times it results in nothing positive?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2024, 09:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Could the lack of ranking in Second Reaction Ability have something to do with the number of times something positive happens after a play or protection breaks down compared to the number of times it results in nothing positive?

I think Dan used statistics as an underlying guide (like if he viewed two players as too close to call, he'd refer to statistics), but most of these rankings seemed like they were based on his observations and the players' vibes rather than cold hard statistics.

My suspicion is that the perception of Burrow is that he's an ultra accurate, decisive, mechanically polished pocket passer who has some wiggle if he needs it (I.E. not a statue in the pocket). That would mean his second reaction ability would only be used in emergency scenarios.

The players who topped that list, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson, literally design their game around running around each play. Their plan each play is to play Super Man.

If that is my pre-supposed frame, it would make sense that he would be unranked in Second Reaction Ability.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow with that Drew Brees pocket awareness. They never move 2 inches if 1 inch would do.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2024, 10:29 AM)Synric Wrote: Joe Burrow with that Drew Brees pocket awareness. They never move 2 inches if 1 inch would do.

More so mid- late career Tom Brady IMO.

Brees was a different breed being much shorter and basically having a pop gun for an arm.

I can't not watch Burrow and not see some Tom. 
Reply/Quote
I know he's saying good things about Burrow here so we're supposed to value his opinion for at least right now.... but I just can't forget last offseason that he said Justin Fields would be a 2023 MVP candidate.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2024, 05:24 PM)TCUBengal34 Wrote: More so mid- late career Tom Brady IMO.

Brees was a different breed being much shorter and basically having a pop gun for an arm.

I can't not watch Burrow and not see some Tom. 

I'm just talking about the pocket awareness I always felt Drew's was the best in the NFL. He was excellent at keeping the tackle between himself and the edges.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think the only reason Burrow isn't higher on Second Reaction ability is because of the injuries. He just needs to stay healthy and he
can show a lot more of his game. Dude can be elite in this trait as well. Completely agree on ball placement, look at that ball he laid on
Tee that was incomplete, it was perfectly placed 50 yards down field and only perfect play by the DB made it incomplete.

Burrow makes throws all the time that blow me away. He is my favorite QB by far and so happy he is on my favorite team.
Reply/Quote