Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Still Mike Brown ?
New York Times recent post has Mike Brown saying now may not be the time to do Chase contract. My thought is, how many decades and years must we put up with Mike Brown ? For those that say Mike Brown no longer runs things, his comments in the press sound as if Mike Brown is still very much in charge.

What good was it to pay Joe Burrow and then make this Chase contract so hard. The chemistry Burrow to Chase that goes back to LSU Championship team, is automatic. Burrow knows where Chase is going to be, their timing is perfect, which is a rare thing.

Isn't it enough we lost Boyd and Mixon and the franchise tag slapped on free agent Higgins. They have to add making it difficult on Chase also. This indeed smacks of Mike Brown, and the word is CHEAP.

Given the choice of which one should go, I think Mike Brown should go, not Chase. Of course Mike Brown never goes. We get good players, but when they find out how cheap Mike Brown is, they are glad to leave. It's sad, this team was in The Super Bowl, but Mike Brown destroyed the 1988 Super Bowl Bengals, and could very well destroy the 2021 Super Bowl Bengals.

I hope Bengals get contract with Chase done any day now. It was pointless to pay Burrow huge contract and then play hard ball on contract to his top WR for LSU to Now. It's not just Burrow, it is Burrow to Chase. We saw that. Burrow improved greatly when his LSU WR Chase was drafted. They have the Timing that is rare.

I'm for keeping Burrow to Chase and if need be, the kids do a power move and put Pops Mike Brown into retirement.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:26 PM)kevin Wrote: New York Times recent post has Mike Brown saying now may not be the time to do Chase contract.  My thought is, how many decades and years must we put up with Mike Brown ?  For those that say Mike Brown no longer runs things, his comments in the press sound as if Mike Brown is still very much in charge.  

What good was it to pay Joe Burrow and then make this Chase contract so hard.  The chemistry Burrow to Chase that goes back to LSU Championship team, is automatic.  Burrow knows where Chase is going to be, their timing is perfect, which is a rare thing.  

Isn't it enough we lost Boyd and Mixon and the franchise tag slapped on free agent Higgins.  They have to add making it difficult on Chase also.  This indeed smacks of Mike Brown, and the word is CHEAP.  

Given the choice of which one should go,  I think Mike Brown should go, not Chase.   Of course Mike Brown never goes.  We get good players, but when they find out how cheap Mike Brown is,  they are glad to leave.  It's sad, this team was in The Super Bowl, but Mike Brown destroyed the 1988 Super Bowl Bengals, and could very well destroy the 2021 Super Bowl Bengals.  

I hope Bengals get contract with Chase done any day now.  It was pointless to pay Burrow huge contract and then play hard ball on contract to his top WR for LSU to Now.  It's not just Burrow, it is Burrow to Chase.  We saw that. Burrow improved greatly when his LSU WR Chase was drafted. They have the Timing that is rare.

I'm for keeping Burrow to Chase and if need be, the kids do a power move and put Pops Mike Brown into retirement.

His granddaughters are smart. One of them will find a doctor to diagnose Mikey with alzheimers or something and then they can put him in a home. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His granddaughters are smart. One of them will find a doctor to diagnose Mikey with alzheimers or something and then they can put him in a home. 

If that's what it takes to keep Burrow to Chase, sure, do it. 

GO BENGALS

Tiger 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:26 PM)kevin Wrote: New York Times recent post has Mike Brown saying now may not be the time to do Chase contract.  My thought is, how many decades and years must we put up with Mike Brown ?  For those that say Mike Brown no longer runs things, his comments in the press sound as if Mike Brown is still very much in charge.  

What good was it to pay Joe Burrow and then make this Chase contract so hard.  The chemistry Burrow to Chase that goes back to LSU Championship team, is automatic.  Burrow knows where Chase is going to be, their timing is perfect, which is a rare thing.  

Isn't it enough we lost Boyd and Mixon and the franchise tag slapped on free agent Higgins.  They have to add making it difficult on Chase also.  This indeed smacks of Mike Brown, and the word is CHEAP.  

Given the choice of which one should go,  I think Mike Brown should go, not Chase.  
Of course Mike Brown never goes.  We get good players, but when they find out how cheap Mike Brown is,  they are glad to leave.  It's sad, this team was in The Super Bowl, but Mike Brown destroyed the 1988 Super Bowl Bengals, and could very well destroy the 2021 Super Bowl Bengals.  

I hope Bengals get contract with Chase done any day now.  It was pointless to pay Burrow huge contract and then play hard ball on contract to his top WR for LSU to Now.  It's not just Burrow, it is Burrow to Chase.  We saw that. Burrow improved greatly when his LSU WR Chase was drafted. They have the Timing that is rare.

Mike owns the team. 

Chase still has 2 years left on his current contract, and could be franchised twice after that. He's not going anywhere for at least 4 years. 

While we all would like to lock Chase up, there are other contracts that have to be paid and spread of X amount of years. Unless you're looking at all the books none of us really know what is going on. Maybe it's just not the right time, like the man says. The cap will go up. 
Reply/Quote
Katie and the Grand daughters are just letting the old man feel like he is important. At least I sure hope so.

Nice job on the McPherson extension, now get the Chase extension done please. Completely agree Kev, have to keep Chase with Burrow.

It is a rare duo with rare chemistry.
Reply/Quote
As much as I want to blame Mike for the Contract situation of Jammar.

1.) I don't think Mike's opinion carries any weight in the organization anymore.

2.) I think Chase is waiting to see what Cedee Lamb is going to get. It doesn't make any sense that the front office doesn't want to get an extension done.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mike owns the team. 

Chase still has 2 years left on his current contract, and could be franchised twice after that. He's not going anywhere for at least 4 years. 

While we all would like to lock Chase up, there are other contracts that have to be paid and spread of X amount of years. Unless you're looking at all the books none of us really know what is going on. Maybe it's just not the right time, like the man says. The cap will go up. 

He might own the team, but he has to get along with his family and while that is true about Chase's current contract now is the best time
to extend him and keep him and Burrow happy and rolling.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:39 PM)J24 Wrote: As much as I want to blame Mike for the Contract situation of Jammar.

1.) I don't think Mike's opinion carries any weight in the organization anymore.

2.) I think Chase is waiting to see what Cedee Lamb is going to get. It doesn't make any sense that the front office doesn't want to get an extension done.

I gotta agree with number two for sure. The longer this drags out, the more I believe that is exactly the case.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Remember, they are also trying to figure things out with Higgins as well.
If you give Chase a big extension while Higgins is still a Bengal, it could cause drama.

Higgins would/could feel extremely unappreciated by the Bengals and his performance could suffer from it.

Or maybe they are still trying to figure out a Higgins extension and want to prioritize that since Higgins is in a contract year whereas Chase still has 2 more years.
I know that the deadline to get a long-term deal for this year for Higgins has passed (mid-July) since he's on the tag, but they can still revisit the topic after the season is done before FA opens.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:39 PM)J24 Wrote: As much as I want to blame Mike for the Contract situation of Jammar.

So Chase's holdout has went from being Justin Jefferson's fault to CeeDee Lamb's fault? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 04:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember, they are also trying to figure things out with Higgins as well.
If you give Chase a big extension while Higgins is still a Bengal, it could cause drama.

Higgins would/could feel extremely unappreciated by the Bengals and his performance could suffer from it.

Or maybe they are still trying to figure out a Higgins extension and want to prioritize that since Higgins is in a contract year whereas Chase still has 2 more years.
I know that the deadline to get a long-term deal for this year for Higgins has passed (mid-July) since he's on the tag, but they can still revisit the topic after the season is done before FA opens.
If this is all true, then Mike Brown makes it too complicated.  Just keep Burrow to Chase, it's not rocket science.   I say Mike Brown, not the others, because Mike Brown told New York Times that this might not be the time to do Chase contract.  Which brings me back to Why Mike Brown ?  Why are we the team stuck with this guy over the decades ?  Yes to the guy who said grandchildren should get lawyers and force Pops into retirement. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:26 PM)kevin Wrote: My thought is, how many decades and years must we put up with Mike Brown ?

You, your children, and your grandchildren will all be dead and buried and Mike Brown will still be hooked up to machines that give him eternal life, still owner of the Bengals.

[Image: 90irgy.jpg]

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 04:35 PM)kevin Wrote: If this is all true, then Mike Brown makes it too complicated.  Just keep Burrow to Chase, it's not rocket science.   I say Mike Brown, not the others, because Mike Brown told New York Times that this might not be the time to do Chase contract.  Which brings me back to Why Mike Brown ?  Why are we the team stuck with this guy over the decades ?  Yes to the guy who said grandchildren should get lawyers and force Pops into retirement. 

Why does Mike Brown need to explain why?

And the team is stuck with Mike Brown for decades because that's how company ownership works.

I would almost guarantee you if the Bengals were taking a profit loss for years Brown would have sold the franchise by this point.
But why sell something that's making you and your family (a ton of) money?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kind of like the other QB deals shook the Burrow deal free, I expect CeeDee Lamb's deal which is supposedly close as of today (Projecting 33 per year) will help us get this one free. If we all agree he doesn't get Jefferson's deal then having another data point should move this along.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:26 PM)kevin Wrote: New York Times recent post has Mike Brown saying now may not be the time to do Chase contract. My thought is, how many decades and years must we put up with Mike Brown ? For those that say Mike Brown no longer runs things, his comments in the press sound as if Mike Brown is still very much in charge.

What good was it to pay Joe Burrow and then make this Chase contract so hard. The chemistry Burrow to Chase that goes back to LSU Championship team, is automatic. Burrow knows where Chase is going to be, their timing is perfect, which is a rare thing.

Isn't it enough we lost Boyd and Mixon and the franchise tag slapped on free agent Higgins. They have to add making it difficult on Chase also. This indeed smacks of Mike Brown, and the word is CHEAP.

Given the choice of which one should go, I think Mike Brown should go, not Chase. Of course Mike Brown never goes. We get good players, but when they find out how cheap Mike Brown is, they are glad to leave. It's sad, this team was in The Super Bowl, but Mike Brown destroyed the 1988 Super Bowl Bengals, and could very well destroy the 2021 Super Bowl Bengals.

I hope Bengals get contract with Chase done any day now. It was pointless to pay Burrow huge contract and then play hard ball on contract to his top WR for LSU to Now. It's not just Burrow, it is Burrow to Chase. We saw that. Burrow improved greatly when his LSU WR Chase was drafted. They have the Timing that is rare.

Boyd was on the downhill slide and they valued finding a bigger play guy. That’s certainly not to disregard that Boyd was not solid. Mixon? That wasn’t a monetary decision really. Tee? Chase wants $35 million like JJ. The Vikings don’t have a $50 million QB to pay. Why do you think they let Cousins go? No way we can afford Joe, Tee, and Chase.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 06:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No way we can afford Joe, Tee, and Chase.

You can afford all three, but will the team around them be any good then?

I'm quite curious to see how the Eagles and Dolphins 2-3 years from now are. This year shouldn't be an issue as their cap is still low, but next year when Tua goes from a $9.5m cap hit to a $59.5m cap hit and Waddle/Hill's cap hits rise by a combined $24m as well. I'm curious to see what it does to the rest of the team to make space for that $74m. They're currently projected to have -$65m in cap space next year, and there's ways to kick that can down the road, but it always eventually comes due.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 04:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So Chase's holdout has went from being Justin Jefferson's fault to CeeDee Lamb's fault? 

Sure
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 06:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can afford all three, but will the team around them be any good then?

I'm quite curious to see how the Eagles and Dolphins 2-3 years from now are. This year shouldn't be an issue as their cap is still low, but next year when Tua goes from a $9.5m cap hit to a $59.5m cap hit and Waddle/Hill's cap hits rise by a combined $24m as well. I'm curious to see what it does to the rest of the team to make space for that $74m. They're currently projected to have -$65m in cap space next year, and there's ways to kick that can down the road, but it always eventually comes due.

Well you’re right but you are savvy enough to agree with me they really can’t afford all 3 and be any good. Nobody escapes it KC has Creed & Trey Smith both coming due. They’ve got Mahomes and Chris Jones at top levels. You know as well as I do you can only have a few at the highest price points per position. Lots of teams have it figured out with short term spurts. But it always catches up. You are right when they paid Brown, Hurts, and Lane Johnson and now Barkley. Miami definitely their time is coming.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 07:03 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well you’re right but you are savvy enough to agree with me they really can’t afford all 3 and be any good. Nobody escapes it KC has Creed & Trey Smith both coming due. They’ve got Mahomes and Chris Jones at top levels. You know as well as I do you can only have a few at the highest price points per position. Lots of teams have it figured out with short term spurts. But it always catches up. You are right when they paid Brown, Hurts, and Lane Johnson and now Barkley. Miami definitely their time is coming.

Philly is ALSO paying Devonte Smith. So i'm really not trying to hear people tell me we cannot afford to pay Joe, Tee and Chase. And its ludicrous that this organization is making Chase's extension ugly. We've been told multiple times over the past 2 years that the "reason we cant pay x player is because of Chase." So pay the man. The contract should look just like JJ's. Its not rocket science. Get it done and stop giving us a black eye when we are in our super bowl window.
Reply/Quote
Can't always trust public statements made about contract negotiations.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote