Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Still Mike Brown ?
This has zero to do with cheapness. Cheap is having pay pop machines and making players pay for tv when training camp was away from Cincy. Chase has two years left. STFU and play. This is being caused by Chase, not Mike Brown. There isn’t some right to be extended three years into a five year contract.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chase has 2 more years on his contract.  Im not sure why he is catching so much attention?  Where was this for CeeDee and Aiyuk last year?  No one was really worried about JJ after his 3rd year.  It would seemingly be cheaper to lock him up now but the issue is likely number of years more so than cash.  But still, people stressing over this are silly at this point in time.

To be clear, I stand by Mike Brown being the worst owner in pro sports for many years.  He crapped all over this fanbase for decades.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 04:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You, your children, and your grandchildren will all be dead and buried and Mike Brown will still be hooked up to machines that give him eternal life, still owner of the Bengals.

[Image: 90irgy.jpg]

[Image: giphy.webp]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 09:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Chase has 2 more years on his contract.  Im not sure why he is catching so much attention?  Where was this for CeeDee and Aiyuk last year?  No one was really worried about JJ after his 3rd year.  It would seemingly be cheaper to lock him up now but the issue is likely number of years more so than cash.  But still, people stressing over this are silly at this point in time.

To be clear, I stand by Mike Brown being the worst owner in pro sports for many years belief.  He crapped all over this fanbase for decades.

To be clear..Mike Brown could  made a zillion bucks by taking this franchise to Baltimore..he chose to stay here for the love of his city ......the Brown family has come a long way the past 5 years...no need to complain about the past
Reply/Quote
Let me ask you guys something.  If Chase holds out the entire pre-season (including practices), does he still start the first game?  I know last year he didn't play any pre-season games, but he did at least practice.  How do the Bengals handle that?  Is he in true football shape?  What happens if he gets hurt if they let him play in the first game?  I think this "hold-in" hurts both the team and Ja'marr in the long run.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 09:41 AM)ERIC1 Wrote: To be clear..Mike Brown could  made a zillion bucks by taking this franchise to Baltimore..he chose to stay here for the love of his city ......the Brown family has come a long way the past 5 years...no need to complain about the past

LOL, moving a franchise requires an enormous amount of money and was never really on the table.

Many of us suffered watching Brown take a Super Bowl caliber team to awfulness without a playoff win for 30 years.  You obviously have ZERO idea what it was like.  Fans were flying banners over the stadium during games begging Brown to sell the team.  His actions with players and total disregard for facilities were an embarrassment.   

Unless you were there spending money like us for decades I don't find it well placed to tell us not to complain just because his daughter took over the last few years and we are somewhat respectable now.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 10:01 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Let me ask you guys something.  If Chase holds out the entire pre-season (including practices), does he still start the first game?  I know last year he didn't play any pre-season games, but he did at least practice.  How do the Bengals handle that?  Is he in true football shape?  What happens if he gets hurt if they let him play in the first game?  I think this "hold-in" hurts both the team and Ja'marr in the long run.  

Yes and most likely will perform well.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:39 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) I don't think Mike's opinion carries any weight in the organization anymore.

I would love for you to ask Mike Brown if this is true.
The narrative that he has stepped away from the team was created  in places like this.  It is entirely not true and he is very much in control of the Bengals.

When that changes Mike will say so himself or will be dead.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Katie and the Grand daughters are just letting the old man feel like he is important. At least I sure hope so.

Nice job on the McPherson extension, now get the Chase extension done please. Completely agree Kev, have to keep Chase with Burrow.

It is a rare duo with rare chemistry.

Exactly what I'm saying. He said years ago that he's not involved in the day-to-day operations.

Definitely agree on Money Mac and I know he'll make some clutch kicks for us in the upcoming years.

The Chase deal will get done and thankfully because, with an improved offensive line, he should have his best year yet and he'll be a lot cheaper to extend this offseason, especially after we win the championship.

(08-16-2024, 04:35 PM)kevin Wrote: If this is all true, then Mike Brown makes it too complicated.  Just keep Burrow to Chase, it's not rocket science.   I say Mike Brown, not the others, because Mike Brown told New York Times that this might not be the time to do Chase contract.  Which brings me back to Why Mike Brown ?  Why are we the team stuck with this guy over the decades ?  Yes to the guy who said grandchildren should get lawyers and force Pops into retirement. 
Not much you can do when the guy is the owner and so stubborn.

He's 89 now, so hopefully he'll hang it up after we win the Super Bowl or maybe he just likes to keep collecting checks for doing nothing and the kids don't mind because there's not much they can do anyways and it just means more money in their inheritance. 
(08-16-2024, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why does Mike Brown need to explain why?

And the team is stuck with Mike Brown for decades because that's how company ownership works.

I would almost guarantee you if the Bengals were taking a profit loss for years Brown would have sold the franchise by this point.
But why sell something that's making you and your family (a ton of) money?
He's too stubborn to sell the team. 

As far as profit loss, they played in empty stadiums most of the 90s, so they couldn't have been making much money, and Mike Brown was ok with it.
(08-17-2024, 09:41 AM)ERIC1 Wrote: To be clear..Mike Brown could  made a zillion bucks by taking this franchise to Baltimore..he chose to stay here for the love of his city ......the Brown family has come a long way the past 5 years...no need to complain about the past
It would cost a lot to move the franchise and their city may not have put up with his bad decisions or unwillingness to spend money.
(08-17-2024, 12:07 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I would love for you to ask Mike Brown if this is true.
The narrative that he has stepped away from the team was created  in places like this.  It is entirely not true and he is very much in control of the Bengals.

He said years ago that he has very little say in how things are operated anymore.

At this point, he's just collecting checks and is the president in name only.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He might own the team, but he has to get along with his family and while that is true about Chase's current contract now is the best time
to extend him and keep him and Burrow happy and rolling.

It's also possible that they don't actually want to be the type of family that throws the patriarch into the trash so they can take over his billion-dollar business a few years ahead of the grim reaper's schedule.

I know as fans we are beyond sick of the Mike Brown way, but this is what happens with the "royal family" structure a business like the NFL operates under.  I never gleefully pulled the plug on any family member I've had, so I don't know what I'd do.  Hell, if my grandfather were 89 and had an ultra lucrative business he was going to hand over to me any day now, I'd just ride it out and play nice.  The guy can always write his conniving family out of his will can't he?  

Anyways, Mike Brown is a crappy owner and it's frustrating but I don't the team being owned by a family that would overthrow the guy is a guaranteed good thing, either.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 12:07 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I would love for you to ask Mike Brown if this is true.

I agree. The notion the actual owner carries no weight is silly. I am more than sure MB has the final say so on a lot of decisions.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 12:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly what I'm saying. He said years ago that he's not involved in the day-to-day operations.

Definitely agree on Money Mac and I know he'll make some clutch kicks for us in the upcoming years.

The Chase deal will get done and thankfully because, with an improved offensive line, he should have his best year yet and he'll be a lot cheaper to extend this offseason, especially after we win the championship.

Not much you can do when the guy is the owner and so stubborn.

He's 89 now, so hopefully he'll hang it up after we win the Super Bowl or maybe he just likes to keep collecting checks for doing nothing and the kids don't mind because there's not much they can do anyways and it just means more money in their inheritance. 
He's too stubborn to sell the team. 

As far as profit loss, they played in empty stadiums most of the 90s, so they couldn't have been making much money, and Mike Brown was ok with it.
It would cost a lot to move the franchise and their city may not have put up with his bad decisions or unwillingness to spend money.

He said years ago that he has very little say in how things are operated anymore.

He goes to every practice. He comes in early to work each day. He goes to home and away games. He still calls the major shots.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 12:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He said years ago that he has very little say in how things are operated anymore.

I think this article from ten years ago was misconstrued as MFB stepping aside.

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-brown-ceding-bengals-control-to-marvin-lewis-0ap2000000367536

Basically, he was taking a decisions-by-committee approach with him having the final say.  I have seen no evidence that this approach has changed whatsoever.  

Here's an article from a few weeks back where Mike is interviewed and he covers topics ranging from Chase's contract to the lease negotiations for the stadium. 
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/bengals-owner-mike-brown-talks-player-contracts-burrows-health-and-more-during-annual-media-luncheon/FN3NXH7KCZAR3HNPTO6NAU3T54/

It definitely shows the man is very much actively involved in the teams operations and he is the official mouthpiece for the team. 

But, yes, you can bet he's still collecting his checks.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 01:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He goes to every practice. He comes in early to work each day. He goes to home and away games. He still calls the major shots.
Why does him coming in to practice mean that he's involved? In what way is he involved? Maybe he just comes in because it makes him feel like he's still a part of it or maybe it's because what else is he going to do at 89??
(08-17-2024, 01:37 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think this article from ten years ago was misconstrued as MFB stepping aside.

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-brown-ceding-bengals-control-to-marvin-lewis-0ap2000000367536

Basically, he was taking a decisions-by-committee approach with him having the final say.  I have seen no evidence that this approach has changed whatsoever.  

Here's an article from a few weeks back where Mike is interviewed and he covers topics ranging from Chase's contract to the lease negotiations for the stadium. 
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/bengals-owner-mike-brown-talks-player-contracts-burrows-health-and-more-during-annual-media-luncheon/FN3NXH7KCZAR3HNPTO6NAU3T54/

It definitely shows the man is very much actively involved in the teams operations and he is the official mouthpiece for the team. 

But, yes, you can bet he's still collecting his checks.

It sounds like he's informed and knowledgeable about the ongoing situations, like Chase's contract, but that doesn't mean he's involved in any of it.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His granddaughters are smart. One of them will find a doctor to diagnose Mikey with alzheimers or something and then they can put him in a home. 

There's a few cages at the pound available.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 12:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly what I'm saying. He said years ago that he's not involved in the day-to-day operations.

I heard the same thing, I know Mikey has some say but it isn't like it used to be, clearly. Anyone that says different isn't watching.

Money Mac is a top Kicker and got top Kicker dough, Ja'Marr is a top WR and will get top WR dough. Just a matter of getting the right 
contract written up that keeps everyone happy and that is Katie's job, not Mikey's.

(08-17-2024, 01:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's also possible that they don't actually want to be the type of family that throws the patriarch into the trash so they can take over his billion-dollar business a few years ahead of the grim reaper's schedule.

I know as fans we are beyond sick of the Mike Brown way, but this is what happens with the "royal family" structure a business like the NFL operates under.  I never gleefully pulled the plug on any family member I've had, so I don't know what I'd do.  Hell, if my grandfather were 89 and had an ultra lucrative business he was going to hand over to me any day now, I'd just ride it out and play nice.  The guy can always write his conniving family out of his will can't he?  

Anyways, Mike Brown is a crappy owner and it's frustrating but I don't the team being owned by a family that would overthrow the guy is a guaranteed good thing, either.  

Yeah, you don't want to shit on the old man. That isn't cool.
Reply/Quote
Everyone hacking on MB for this situation. It takes two you know....

https://www.si.com/nfl/mailbag-jamarr-chase-contract-jets-patriots

Quote:That said, my sense is Chase’s side hasn’t been in some massive rush to get a deal done, and I’d think there are two reasons for that, which play into one another. First, Justin Jefferson’s deal, done at $35 million per year, is so far above where the market had been previously that it’s complicated the other remaining high-end receiver negotiations. Second, waiting for CeeDee Lamb and Brandon Aiyuk could bring more clarity.

Either way, obviously, Chase and Jefferson were in communication through Jefferson’s negotiation, and Chase, rightfully, believes he should be in the financial neighborhood his former college teammate is. Of course, there are differences, one key one being that Jefferson only had a year left on his rookie deal when he got extended. But it’s fair to say that the commitment from Cincinnati is going to have to be a very heavy one for Chase to take a deal now.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/16/jamarr-chase-contract-saga-bengals-analyzed-insider/

Quote:There’s been zero sense of a rush to any of this. Chase has been there and in a borderline coaching role with the team this training camp. Maybe some talks are happening behind the scenes now that Justin Jefferson reset the market, sure.

But the Bengals probably wouldn’t mind to wait until next offseason. Neither would Chase, really, not when his pricetag probably just booms again if they wait.

But there is the matter of waiting on CeeDee Lamb and seeing what Brandon Aiyuk gets if he’s traded or extended in San Francisco — just in case. Until one or both of those guys have their situations sorted out, it’s safe to presume Chase isn’t going to risk injury — especially when he doesn’t need all that long to get his timing with Joe Burrow back to full-go, anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 05:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone hacking on MB for this situation. It takes two you know....

https://www.si.com/nfl/mailbag-jamarr-chase-contract-jets-patriots

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/16/jamarr-chase-contract-saga-bengals-analyzed-insider/

No doubt.  I think this is more of Chase protecting himself in the preseason and the contract provides the reasoning.

Reply/Quote
Perhaps Mike likes Tee and wants to see what he does this season.

I know personality wise I am a bigger Tee fan and he's pretty damn good too.

Edit to add:

I think we have a stud in Burton and Yoshi is going to have a break out year. Why not sit back and see what you have when you have that luxury. No rush is needed to sign Chase. 

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 01:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why does him coming in to practice mean that he's involved? In what way is he involved? Maybe he just comes in because it makes him feel like he's still a part of it or maybe it's because what else is he going to do at 89??

It sounds like he's informed and knowledgeable about the ongoing situations, like Chase's contract, but that doesn't mean he's involved in any of it.

He’s definitely not as involved as he used to be. He’s not ruling with a hard fist on the major things but he’s got plenty of say. He’s got a say on the major contracts and the top pick.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote