Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Daily observations from camp
(08-17-2024, 11:51 AM)Joelist Wrote: There’s nothing anywhere saying Jenkins is hurt. The Evans injury simply raises the odds Noah Cain makes the roster. The Smith injury does mean we’ll likely bring in another veteran OL.

As to Chase Brown the issues we’ve seen are coachable ones.

I can see them bringing in someone to take reps in camp, but I think Smith's injury probably means another year of Carman.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 11:35 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I hope we take McLachlan 100 times over a 30 year-old Hudson who has been cut by 4 teams and is a very poor blocker.  We have a pass catcher in Gesicki and a blocker in Drew.  All provides both, as does Tanner, although he is a better pass catcher and he has speed.  Keeping Hudson over Tanner would be a very Bengals thing to do and I believe another team would grab him off the PS at some point.  We would be dumb for throwing away a young draft pick for a career PS guy that only has a year or two left in the league.

Hudson last year in his 1st real action performed very well, he only played just 276 snaps (23% of plays)  which placed him 70th in TEs overall but he was top TE in targets and touches in those snaps  and finished with 39 catches and 352 yards and has had two solid preseason games., rarely makes mistakes , he is going to be tough to beat as 3rd TE.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 06:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hudson last year in his 1st real action performed very well, he only played just 276 snaps (23% of plays)  which placed him 70th in TEs overall but he was top TE in targets and touches in those snaps  and finished with 39 catches and 352 yards and has had two solid preseason games., rarely makes mistakes , he is going to be tough to beat as 3rd TE.

He played because we didnt have another decent pass catching TE on the roster.  He was cut by multiple teams, including the Bengals, for a reason.  He is also a poor blocker. 

He is 30 this season and one dimensional, what is his future?  I can see the Bengals keeping him and stupidly risk losing McLachlan, but I hope they dont. 

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 06:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He played because we didnt have another decent pass catching TE on the roster.  He was cut by multiple teams, including the Bengals, for a reason.  He is also a poor blocker. 

He is 30 this season and one dimensional, what is his future?  I can see the Bengals keeping him and stupidly risk losing McLachlan, but I hope they dont. 

Well obviously with the facts I presented when given a chance at more playing time, he performed exceptionally well.  This is a playoff team roster, they don;t need to worry about 2 to 3 years down the road on a rookie, or that Hudson was cut by teams in the past,  they need a dependable 3rd TE (they obviously care less about him being 30, which is a young 30 as far the grind of football with lack of snaps) and i think Tobin during the game  interview pretty much cemented that they see Hudson as that 3rd TE overall and 2nd TE in the slot . If they keep 4 Tight Ends it will probably be Alt since he was a late 4th round pick
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 06:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well obviously with the facts I presented when given a chance at more playing time, he performed exceptionally well.  This is a playoff team roster, they don;t need to worry about 2 to 3 years down the road on a rookie, or that Hudson was cut by teams in the past,  they need a dependable 3rd TE (they obviously care less about him being 30, which is a young 30 as far the grind of football with lack of snaps) and i think Tobin during the game  interview pretty much cemented that they see Hudson as that 3rd TE overall and 2nd TE in the slot . If they keep 4 Tight Ends it will probably be Alt since he was a late 4th round pick

The Bengals have ALWAYS been concerned about players at age 30.  That is known fact for any fan that has been around awhile.

All could easily take that TE3 spot. 

Caring about the future is Duke's job.  I did hear his comments but Im not a Duke Tobin fan so I could see him losing a potential future piece for a TE that should not get many reps and likely has a limited career ahead of him. 

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 07:16 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Bengals have ALWAYS been concerned about players at age 30.  That is known fact for any fan that has been around awhile.

All could easily take that TE3 spot. 

Caring about the future is Duke's job.  I did hear his comments but Im not a Duke Tobin fan so I could see him losing a potential future piece for a TE that should not get many reps and likely has a limited career ahead of him. 

I don't know that 30 means the same at the TE position. Plus Hudson has a knack/knowledge to make himself available. Not sure what direction the Bengals will go but the TE position is far down my list of concerns for the season.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 08:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't know that 30 means the same at the TE position. Plus Hudson has a knack/knowledge to make himself available. Not sure what direction the Bengals will go but the TE position is far down my list of concerns for the season.

Im not concerned about the TE spot either.  That said, the way we run through TEs on 1 year deals it would be nice to have All and McLachlan for the next 4 years.

Hudson has done well catching the ball, his blocking is not remotely up to par and I dont see him having TE1 capability.  All and Tanner could potentially grow into a TE1 in the future.  

Gesicki and Sample will take the majority of the snaps.  All will definitely get snaps.  Hudson, in the beginning of the season, could be more beneficial for a limited number of snaps early but I think McLachlan could be a huge plus for us for the next several years.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 11:32 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not concerned about the TE spot either.  That said, the way we run through TEs on 1 year deals it would be nice to have All and McLachlan for the next 4 years.

Hudson has done well catching the ball, his blocking is not remotely up to par and I dont see him having TE1 capability.  All and Tanner could potentially grow into a TE1 in the future.  

Gesicki and Sample will take the majority of the snaps.  All will definitely get snaps.  Hudson, in the beginning of the season, could be more beneficial for a limited number of snaps early but I think McLachlan could be a huge plus for us for the next several years.

Here in lies the debate of win now vs extending the window.  We're not talking the Rams all in plan of trading picks, but if the talent is close do you arm yourself for 17+ games with known depth or not risk losing possible cheap youth?  If they think All is near Hudson's level and is healthy, that may tip it to a Hudson cut.  I just don't want to see  Gesicki get hurt and us depending on All or McLachlan fill in if they aren't ready. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 11:48 PM)phil413 Wrote: Here in lies the debate of win now vs extending the window.  We're not talking the Rams all in plan of trading picks, but if the talent is close do you arm yourself for 17+ games with known depth or not risk losing possible cheap youth?  If they think All is near Hudson's level and is healthy, that may tip it to a Hudson cut.  I just don't want to see  Gesicki get hurt and us depending on All or McLachlan fill in if they aren't ready. 

After listening to Tobin interview on Hudson and comments he had, sure sounds like Hudson is in their plans as #3 TE.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 11:48 PM)phil413 Wrote: Here in lies the debate of win now vs extending the window.  We're not talking the Rams all in plan of trading picks, but if the talent is close do you arm yourself for 17+ games with known depth or not risk losing possible cheap youth?  If they think All is near Hudson's level and is healthy, that may tip it to a Hudson cut.  I just don't want to see  Gesicki get hurt and us depending on All or McLachlan fill in if they aren't ready. 

(08-18-2024, 12:56 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: After listening to Tobin interview on Hudson and comments he had, sure sounds like Hudson is in their plans as #3 TE.

They’ll keep 4 and put the rookie on the practice squad
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 01:47 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’ll keep 4 and put the rookie on the practice squad

There is a better chance that we lose McLachlan to another team than Hudson if placed on the PS.

If McLachlan is remotely close to Hudson in their eyes I hope they chose him.

Reply/Quote
Speaking of TEs a couple of blocks

Gesicki as the Y and Yoshi the F in Duo. Meh.

Erick All with the F wrap block leads with shoulder this fits hands outstanding technique and block.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 02:11 AM)casear2727 Wrote: There is a better chance that we lose McLachlan to another team than Hudson if placed on the PS.

i don;t really care about losing McLachlan, i don;t want to lose Hudson, he will be picked up easy by another team on his solid season last year
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 02:11 AM)casear2727 Wrote: There is a better chance that we lose McLachlan to another team than Hudson if placed on the PS.

It will be interesting if it’s the coaches decision I think it’s Hudson . A veteran is more valuable to teams in need at this juncture? I mean for other teams?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 12:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It will be interesting if it’s the coaches decision I think it’s Hudson . A veteran is more valuable to teams in need at this juncture? I mean for other teams?

Honestly I don't think it matters. Both Hudson and McLachlan could be cut and easily be on thr practice squad. Hudson doesn't provide depth versatility and he is an average receiver. McLachlan is a rookie 6th round with tape slightly better than his measureables.

The Bengals Tight End room is a bunch of mismatch peices they are hoping to fit into certain roles with a possibility of a diamond in the rough in Erick All.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Anyone thinking Sample could be cut? He's own zero guaranteed dollars.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 12:08 PM)J24 Wrote: Anyone thinking Sample  could be cut? He's own zero guaranteed dollars.

Zero chance he's technically the only true Y on the roster....Not counting Cam Grandy of course lol.

Reply/Quote
Burrow likes and trusts Hudson. I think that will account for a lot in the decision.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 12:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Zero chance he's technically the only true Y on the roster....Not counting Cam Grandy of course lol.

You're probably 100% right on that! I just find it weird that he has zero guaranteed money on his contract. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This isn't the kind of coaching staff that cuts a guy like Hudson and keeps Tanner. Hudson has produced when the live bullets are flying. Blocking notwithstanding i'd say he has a pretty safe roster spot.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote