Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
***Preseason GameDay Thread - Bengals @ Bears***
(08-17-2024, 03:40 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Halftime thoughts:
Njongmeta has nose for the ball. Reverse didn't fool him and he merely misjudged the speed of Odunze, who runs like he is not going very fast. Don't think he took a bad angle.
Still high on Newton. His PI I think was close enough to call, but it was a "good" penalty. If he didn't break WR offstride it might have been a TD as the throw was PERFECT. The sideline completion was another absolutely PERFECT throw. Newton had good coverage and showed good makeup speed. Bottom line he is in position and absent perfect throws, he breaks up both passes.

Overall, the young DBs read plays well and took away first options repeatedly.

Kirkland looks like a Boling clone. I think he sticks.

I agree with you on Newton. Obviously no one was happy that he gave up that long completion but that was a dime and he was right there with Odunze. If he gets his hand around there a second sooner that’s really good pass break up.

High praise for Kirkland, I hope you’re right.
Reply/Quote
Woodside isn’t making the team. Just need to pressure him and he’ll caught it up.
Good practice squad candidate.

Overall the rookies are looking good (Jenkins, Burton).

Not a great game by Newton. Blatant PI to save a TD where he got burned. Did save a td by pulling him down though. Gives up another big play to odunze. But he could still be a solid db. Needs to keep improving.

Edit: just gave up a td on that drive. This game is definitely a learning opportunity for newton.

Definitely good to see the defense do pretty decent for 2 quarters against the 1st string bears offense.

That TD looked like a hold that wasn’t called but solid plays that drive by Caleb. He could be good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Njongmeta backed off for a second couple of plays ago, looked half pain, half getting out the way. Hope it's not any kind of issue. He's doing good work. All over the place
Reply/Quote
And...terrible ass D, AGAIN.
Reply/Quote
Rough day for Newton after that first pbu.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 03:46 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: I agree with you on Newton. Obviously no one was happy that he gave up that long completion but that was a dime and he was right there with Odunze. If he gets his hand around there a second sooner that’s really good pass break up.

High praise for Kirkland, I hope you’re right.

Good news on the Kirkland front for sure. Really liked him in college so was surprised he looked so bad for us last Preseason. Nice hearing 
him making the jump. Rome Odunze versus Fig Newton is a hard one, I had Rome as the best WR in the Draft even over MHJ which is a 
crazy thing to say but I just see a natural route runner with fantastic hands and being 6'4" is a hard cover for anyone.

I have to wait till the game is over to watch it on Gamepass, so nice getting the updates from everybody on here that gets to watch it live.
Reply/Quote
It's Rocky Lombardi time.
Reply/Quote
Another ST flag
Reply/Quote
Cody Fords not giving me confidence in this one. I hope Brown or Mims is healthy soon
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 03:54 PM)Bengalion Wrote: It's Rocky Lombardi time.

We had to settle for more rocky Woodside.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 03:50 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Woodside isn’t making the team. Just need to pressure him and he’ll caught it up.
Good practice squad candidate.

Overall the rookies are looking good (Jenkins, Burton).

Not a great game by Newton. Blatant PI to save a TD where he got burned. Did save a td by pulling him down though. Gives up another big play to odunze. But he could still be a solid db. Needs to keep improving.

Edit: just gave up a td on that drive. This game is definitely a learning opportunity for newton.

Definitely good to see the defense do pretty decent for 2 quarters against the 1st string bears offense.

That TD looked like a hold that wasn’t called but solid plays that drive by Caleb. He could be good.

Blatant PI?   That was a terrible call.   Play to Odunze was a perfect pass, he was all over him.  Newton did have a great pass breakup on a 3rd down.  The last TD he was beaten badly.  He definitely should develop into a solid depth piece.

Some these takes today are prime game day form.  The worst (not you) but others calling the defense awful on the Caleb TD .
That really cracked me up:

We actually had great pressure from the front 4, the play lasted 10 seconds and not one WR was open, and that was the Bears #1 offense vs our 2's & 3's.

Reply/Quote
Ford showing he’s as good at blocking as he is at staying loyal in a relationship.
Reply/Quote
I hope Burton's back injury isnt a bad one.

Reply/Quote
Offense just going through the motions. They are done for the day

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
lol at the Bears for blitzing like it's the Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 03:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Blatant PI?   That was a terrible call.   Play to Odunze was a perfect pass, he was all over him.  Newton did have a great pass breakup on a 3rd down.  The last TD he was beaten badly.  He definitely should develop into a solid depth piece.

Some these takes today are prime game day form.  The worst (not you) but others calling the defense awful on the Caleb TD .
That really cracked me up:

We actually had great pressure from the front 4, the play lasted 10 seconds and not one WR was open, and that was the Bears #1 offense vs our 2's & 3's.

You just said it yourself mate if a play lasts for 10 seconds and the QB doesn’t get brought down it’s bad defence.

Woop de doo we got pressure if Williams doesnt end up on his arse it doesn’t matter.
Reply/Quote
I don't care who is playing this shit is unacceptable.

Reply/Quote
Getting worked right now
Reply/Quote
Yep. Starters are def not playing today. Yeesh.
Reply/Quote
This is embarrassing.
Reply/Quote