Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Still Mike Brown ?
(08-17-2024, 05:57 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s definitely not as involved as he used to be. He’s not ruling with a hard fist on the major things but he’s got plenty of say. He’s got a say on the major contracts and the top pick.

What makes you say that?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I gotta agree with number two for sure. The longer this drags out, the more I believe that is exactly the case.

Yep. And I really like Chase, but when you have a top paid qb...it's already hard to build a roster. When you have the top paid WR too, that makes it extra hard.

Takes 2 to sign a contract. It's not as easy as just throwing out a fair deal and it being done.

Look at the huge deal Money Mac got. The Bengals are willing to pay guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 06:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What makes you say that?

Show me one source that says Mike Brown does not make decisions regarding major contracts.  Actually, I'd like to see the source of where it says he's stepped away from making major decisions for the Bengals.  I think that narrative was created on this very message board.

It's always Mike talking about the ins and outs of big deals like Burrow, Higgins, Chase, etc.   It's not Katie, Duke or Zac. 

So, if it's not Mike, then who's in charge of what exactly?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 07:38 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Show me one source that says Mike Brown does not make decisions regarding major contracts.  Actually, I'd like to see the source of where it says he's stepped away from making major decisions for the Bengals.  I think that narrative was created on this very message board.

It's always Mike talking about the ins and outs of big deals like Burrow, Higgins, Chase, etc.   It's not Katie, Duke or Zac. 

So, if it's not Mike, then who's in charge of what exactly?

Are you serious? You think Mike is in charge of contract negotiations and everything still?

Mike Brown has said in interviews that he doesn't have much control over day-to-day activities.

You think an 89-year-old is controlling an NFL franchise?!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 09:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are you serious? You think Mike is in charge of contract negotiations and everything still?

Mike Brown has said in interviews that he doesn't have much control over day-to-day activities.

Show me the source.  Like Marvin always said, "I see better than I hear." 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 09:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are you serious? You think Mike is in charge of contract negotiations and everything still?

I believe Mike said he tries not to interfere with the coaches. But from his comments about Chase's contract he still sounds like he's involved in that side of things.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 07:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And I really like Chase, but when you have a top paid qb...it's already hard to build a roster. When you have the top paid WR too, that makes it extra hard.

Takes 2 to sign a contract. It's not as easy as just throwing out a fair deal and it being done.

Look at the huge deal Money Mac got. The Bengals are willing to pay guys.

It does take 2 to sign a contract, but I will also point out that the Bengals have always had troubles being behind the rest of the NFL when it comes to offering guaranteed money.

The "huge deal" McPherson got over 3 years is barely over 1/2 of 1 year of a top-WR deal. That's a little like pointing to paying your phone bill as evidence that it's not your fault that you haven't paid your mortgage, taxes, and car payment. It's a little bit of a different scale, lol.

Of the 4 best players on our team right now, 2 have requested trades over money and 1 is sitting-in over money. Sometimes you have to remember that old saying about if 3 different people in one day call you an asshole, you have to accept the fact that you just might be an asshole.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2024, 06:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What makes you say that?

I’m not speculating or guessing I know 1000% he’s still involved in the major decisions. I said involved didn’t say him alone making them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 01:44 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not speculating or guessing I know 1000% he’s still involved in the major decisions. I said involved didn’t say him alone making them.

How involved? How much of a role does he play?

How do you know that?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He might own the team, but he has to get along with his family and while that is true about Chase's current contract now is the best time
to extend him and keep him and Burrow happy and rolling.
Chase has 2 years left on his deal.A 4th year.And a 5th year option.No reason to extend him now.He signed a contract.Either play.Or stay home,and get a job at McDonalds.Justin Jefferson,who most would agree,is the best wr in the NFL.He did not get a new deal,until,after his 4th season.Why should Chase be any different?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 07:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: How involved? How much of a role does he play?

How do you know that?

It's easy.  He keeps using the terms "We" and "I".  It's pretty obvious he's directly involved.  

“We’re going to try hard,” Brown said of Chase’s contract. “If you were listing our guys, one-two, you just did it (with Burrow and Chase), and he knows that, we know it, but it has to get done. We have both this year and next year where we have rights to Ja’Marr, so maybe it’ll take longer than we wish. I wish it were done, but I understand why it isn’t, and it’s part of the NFL of today.”

Asked if the timing matters, Brown said “the earlier the better.”
“There are all kinds of issues that play into this,” Brown said. “It’s not easy to resolve, but our intention is to keep Ja’Marr Chase.”
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 07:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: How involved? How much of a role does he play?

How do you know that?

My comment should be sufficient earlier.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I understand the frustration at times but as an organization we are not alone in frustration with their home team... but the Bengals have adapted some over the past 25 years ( after the terrible 90s) since 2000 Bengals in AFC rank 6th in playoff appearances behind NE, Balt, Pitt, KC and Indy. Outside of those 5 teams, only 2 other teams have winning records since 2000 in AFC (Denver and Tenn). Since Mike took over 8 teams have moved out of that original city , Many teams have wasted $$ on Free agent signings, or lost key players to other teams. Some cities have seen an outsider come in buy the team and take it away... so don't think the Bengals fan base is the only one that has had down years, lack of playoff appearances/wins, frustrations and failures.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 09:46 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It's easy.  He keeps using the terms "We" and "I".  It's pretty obvious he's directly involved.  

“We’re going to try hard,” Brown said of Chase’s contract. “If you were listing our guys, one-two, you just did it (with Burrow and Chase), and he knows that, we know it, but it has to get done. We have both this year and next year where we have rights to Ja’Marr, so maybe it’ll take longer than we wish. I wish it were done, but I understand why it isn’t, and it’s part of the NFL of today.”

Asked if the timing matters, Brown said “the earlier the better.”
“There are all kinds of issues that play into this,” Brown said. “It’s not easy to resolve, but our intention is to keep Ja’Marr Chase.”
Because he's the owner. Every owner talks like that. 
(08-18-2024, 12:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: My comment should be sufficient earlier.
Ok.

I know for 100% he's not. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 12:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I understand the frustration at times but as an organization we are not alone in frustration with their home team... but the Bengals have adapted some over the past 25 years ( after the terrible 90s) since 2000 Bengals in AFC rank 6th   in playoff appearances behind  NE, Balt, Pitt, KC and Indy. Outside of those 5 teams, only 2 other teams have winning records since 2000 in AFC (Denver and Tenn).  Since Mike took over 8 teams have moved out of that original city , Many teams have wasted $$ on Free agent signings, or lost key players to other teams. Some cities have seen an outsider come in buy the team and take it away...  so don't think the Bengals fan base is the only one that has had down years, lack of playoff appearances/wins, frustrations and failures.

Since 1991 when Brown took over to before we drafted Burrow, we did not have a single playoff win.  30 years.  He was without question a Top 3 worst owner in sports for many of those years.  Those that dont believe this are either too young to have known or did not follow very closely and have become more involved since Burrow arrived.  

It was very hard sledding with the bad teams but it was excruciating when we had teams that needed a just a couple of pieces to make serious runs.  Brown owes this fanbase a massive apology.  Thank goodness Katie has taken the reins for the most part. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2024, 03:39 PM)J24 Wrote: As much as I want to blame Mike for the Contract situation of Jammar.

1.) I don't think Mike's opinion carries any weight in the organization anymore.

2.) I think Chase is waiting to see what Cedee Lamb is going to get. It doesn't make any sense that the front office doesn't want to get an extension done.

(08-16-2024, 03:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I gotta agree with number two for sure. The longer this drags out, the more I believe that is exactly the case.

I read something this morning that alluded that the hang up seems to be in that the Bengals don't want to do guaranteed money past the first year of the contract for a non-QB. I'm not sure that Cee Dee Lamb really has anything to do with the situation. All along it was Chase waiting to see what Jefferson got, and we've already seen what Tyreek Hill got. We know the value range of the deal he's going to get, but it comes down to the guaranteed dollars. As a "cash poor" team, the Bengals don't want to open the door of giving guarantees past the first year to non-QB players.

It sucks to read stuff like that as a Bengal fan. Just when it looked like the league had created some equal footing for all teams to operate upon, the wealthier owners still find ways to tilt the scales to their advantage.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 01:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I read something this morning that alluded that the hang up seems to be in that the Bengals don't want to do guaranteed money past the first year of the contract for a non-QB. I'm not sure that Cee Dee Lamb really has anything to do with the situation. All along it was Chase waiting to see what Jefferson got, and we've already seen what Tyreek Hill got. We know the value range of the deal he's going to get, but it comes down to the guaranteed dollars. As a "cash poor" team, the Bengals don't want to open the door of giving guarantees past the first year to non-QB players.

It sucks to read stuff like that as a Bengal fan. Just when it looked like the league had created some equal footing for all teams to operate upon, the wealthier owners still find ways to tilt the scales to their advantage.
Bengals are worth 4.6 billion Dollars; they can afford  a Jammar Chase contract! Stop giving excuses to the FO. Especially when they are not making that same excuse themselves.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 01:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Since 1991 when Brown took over to before we drafted Burrow, we did not have a single playoff win.  30 years.  He was without question a Top 3 worst owner in sports for many of those years.  Those that dont believe this are either too young to have known or did not follow very closely and have become more involved since Burrow arrived.  

It was very hard sledding with the bad teams but it was excruciating when we had teams that needed a just a couple of pieces to make serious runs.  Brown owes this fanbase a massive apology.  Thank goodness Katie has taken the reins for the most part. 

Again since the terrible 90s, the Bengals compared to majority of AFC teams are just or more competitive.. that simple... and as i pointed out things have been much worse past 25 years for many other teams.. Is he a top owner.. no but we have been better off than a good amount of teams since 2000
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 12:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because he's the owner. Every owner talks like that. 
Ok.

Then you need a new source

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2024, 12:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because he's the owner. Every owner talks like that. 
Ok.

Still waiting for your source.

Ever owned a business?
Reply/Quote