Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Still Mike Brown ?
(08-21-2024, 04:45 PM)kevin Wrote: a new add on of late.  Chad Johnson says he doesn't expect Chase to step on a football field until a new deal is done.

In that case, could Mike Brown suit up and take some NFL hits in his place ???

[Image: 7130a54d-9ade-4fe0-b837-3600a24f2d62_text.gif]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 11:49 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: There's no way he thinks his value is higher than Jefferson if you compare stats.
I'd be okay with matching that deal.
We'd save money in the long run as opposed to waiting until the offseason when the market goes up (and his value goes up).
Might as well get it done. We have the cap space so why not?

Again, Chase has to sign, and according to reports he is in no hurry.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 02:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ok, he has the final say, so you think if Katie, Troy, Duke, and Zac say "this is the move we need to make," Mike's going to say no?

He was against a practice bubble for so long, as well as hiring more scouts, and doing other things like improving the medical staff/facilities, but you think, at 89, he suddenly said "oh, I'll evolved to fit the rest of the league 20+ years after most other franchises"?

Look, I know he has the final "say," but how much do you think he's really making decisions or influencing anyone else to do anything?

On 100+ million-dollar contracts, you can bet your wheels he makes the final decision. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 01:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He doesn't make any decisions, he's just the mouthpiece of the franchise because of the eye-candy factor. 

I would think they make big decisions as a group, but if Mike is dead set against something, there is nothing or no one that can stop him as the majority owner of the business.  I'm in the same position as Katie as I have for years run all the day-to-day operations of our company, but if my father (78 years old), who is 51% Owner, does not agree to something (like buy a new building), I will need to persuade him to see things my way.

Not consulting a majority owner on major decisions is a really easy way to upset the apple-cart, especially with aging owners.  It's a balancing act for sure as you don't want to dismiss them due to their age, while also trying to keep the business solvent.  Using them in an consultant role can be good way to get what you want and not alienate them.

Furthermore, You cannot act unilaterally as the business does not belong to you and could also be fired immediately.  Minority owners can also be forced out, but it's a bit more tricky.

I'm not sure if Katie even owns 1% of the team as I would think that would have been documented by now.  It could possibly be in a trust for when Mike passes.  My guess is that she's a salaried employee.

I know we all wish Mike Brown was gone (especially us older fans), but I still see him with my own eyes and until he passes the team on to family or dies, I will never count him out.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 05:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, Chase has to sign, and according to reports he is in no hurry.

Highly doubt he sits out any regular season games then, it will only hurt his stock. Just hope he practices before the Pats game so he has some reps.

I think he could of handled this better, like Tee has handled it and of been more mature, but it is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 05:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: 7130a54d-9ade-4fe0-b837-3600a24f2d62_text.gif]

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 04:45 PM)kevin Wrote: a new add on of late.  Chad Johnson says he doesn't expect Chase to step on a football field until a new deal is done.

In that case, could Mike Brown suit up and take some NFL hits in his place ???

If he doesnt practice he shouldnt play.   What is he going to do sit out all practices the next 2 years he is under contract?   If he doesnt want to participate, let him sit.  Better yet, make him one of the inactives every week.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 10:46 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If he doesnt practice he shouldnt play.   What is he going to do sit out all practices the next 2 years he is under contract?   If he doesnt want to participate, let him sit.  Better yet, make him one of the inactives every week.
 You say Better Yet, make Chase inactive every week for 2 years....So activate and suit up Mike Brown every week.  I can see Mike Brown now, catching passes, running for touchdowns, pancake blocks. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2024, 06:17 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I would think they make big decisions as a group, but if Mike is dead set against something, there is nothing or no one that can stop him as the majority owner of the business.  I'm in the same position as Katie as I have for years run all the day-to-day operations of our company, but if my father (78 years old), who is 51% Owner, does not agree to something (like buy a new building), I will need to persuade him to see things my way.

Not consulting a majority owner on major decisions is a really easy way to upset the apple-cart, especially with aging owners.  It's a balancing act for sure as you don't want to dismiss them due to their age, while also trying to keep the business solvent.  Using them in an consultant role can be good way to get what you want and not alienate them.

Furthermore, You cannot act unilaterally as the business does not belong to you and could also be fired immediately.  Minority owners can also be forced out, but it's a bit more tricky.

I'm not sure if Katie even owns 1% of the team as I would think that would have been documented by now.  It could possibly be in a trust for when Mike passes.  My guess is that she's a salaried employee.

I know we all wish Mike Brown was gone (especially us older fans), but I still see him with my own eyes and until he passes the team on to family or dies, I will never count him out.

I've been a fan of this team since it's inception. I understand the frustration of fans when it comes to MB< I just don't share the disdain for him. In fact, I kind of like him. He gets railed for being "cheap" but that's how he stays rich. He constantly votes in favor of what is good for the Bengals and not good for the league, often times being the only opposing vote in owner's meetings. But mostly, he is true to Cincinnati and would never move the team to a more profitable city. I can't think of another owner who would not have packed their bags and taken the team elsewhere in the 90's when the stadium was 3/4s empty for every game. Sure, he was putting a crappy product on the field, but so were a lot of other owners. When they couldn't sell tickets, they sold and moved the team. MB did not, and he deserves some thanks for that.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've been a fan of this team since it's inception. I understand the frustration of fans when it comes to MB< I just don't share the disdain for him. In fact, I kind of like him. He gets railed for being "cheap" but that's how he stays rich. He constantly votes in favor of what is good for the Bengals and not good for the league, often times being the only opposing vote in owner's meetings. But mostly, he is true to Cincinnati and would never move the team to a more profitable city. I can't think of another owner who would not have packed their bags and taken the team elsewhere in the 90's when the stadium was 3/4s empty for every game. Sure, he was putting a crappy product on the field, but so were a lot of other owners. When they couldn't sell tickets, they sold and moved the team. MB did not, and he deserves some thanks for that.

So many reported cases of how he pathetically run program through the years. 

There were so many reports of not just cheap, but embarrassingly bad operations.  Look at the number of players that had major issues.

I was asked to donate to the plane that flew over the stadium.  It was bad.  There were multiple articles written about his terribleness.  I dont see how any fan that was decently informed doesnt have total disdain for the way he ran the team.  I'll never be a MB fan just just because he didnt move the team. 

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've been a fan of this team since it's inception. I understand the frustration of fans when it comes to MB< I just don't share the disdain for him. In fact, I kind of like him. He gets railed for being "cheap" but that's how he stays rich. He constantly votes in favor of what is good for the Bengals and not good for the league, often times being the only opposing vote in owner's meetings. But mostly, he is true to Cincinnati and would never move the team to a more profitable city. I can't think of another owner who would not have packed their bags and taken the team elsewhere in the 90's when the stadium was 3/4s empty for every game. Sure, he was putting a crappy product on the field, but so were a lot of other owners. When they couldn't sell tickets, they sold and moved the team. MB did not, and he deserves some thanks for that.
If we wipe away all the hog wash, it comes down to one thing only.  Why not pay Chase ?  It is on this that most of NFL finds a mystery.  Also most NFL owners are saying they will be glad to sign and pay Chase for their NFL teams. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 10:50 AM)kevin Wrote: If we wipe away all the hog wash, it comes down to one thing only.  Why not pay Chase ?  It is on this that most of NFL finds a mystery.  Also most NFL owners are saying they will be glad to sign and pay Chase for their NFL teams. 

Again, Chase has to be willing to sign the offer. ANd more importantly, it sets a precedent for other players to demand new contracts with multiple years left on their contract. They didn't do it for Hendrickson, and he took it like a man and said "I tried, but oh well, let's practice and play." If they give in to Chase, then they have to give in to the next diva
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 12:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, Chase has to be willing to sign the offer. ANd more importantly, it sets a precedent for other players to demand new contracts with multiple years left on their contract. They didn't do it for Hendrickson, and he took it like a man and said "I tried, but oh well, let's practice and play." If they give in to Chase, then they have to give in to the next diva

More and more NFL teams are renegotiating rookie contracts early for talent playing at superstar level.  So would the Bengals be better with Chase playing or not ?  I thought the goal was to return to The Super Bowl.  

Sports Illustrated just offered why Chase may want a new contract now.  SI says maybe Chase and his agent saw how Burrow treated and how Bates and Higgins had to go through franchise tag, and Chase wants The Burrow Treatment.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't think the Super Bowl means anything to any of these players anymore. Their actions say this. If they get to the big game they'll take it and play in it but what they really want is the guaranteed contract that resets the market for the next 90 days. Super Bowls now are nothing more than a poor circus sideshow with all the pregame, halftime and post game acts, goofballs and weirdos the NFL can find. Wasn't last years Swift/Kelce Bowl enough to convince people?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 02:32 PM)kevin Wrote: More and more NFL teams are renegotiating rookie contracts early for talent playing at superstar level.  So would the Bengals be better with Chase playing or not ?  I thought the goal was to return to The Super Bowl.  

Sports Illustrated just offered why Chase may want a new contract now.  SI says maybe Chase and his agent saw how Burrow treated and how Bates and Higgins had to go through franchise tag, and Chase wants The Burrow Treatment.  

He's going to play. He would be a pariah in the locker room and in the city if he sat out. Not to mention, I would LOVE to see an NFL team (not necessarily this situation) take a player to court for breach of contract and have the player ordered to pay back his salary and signing bonuses. That would put an end to a lot of this foolishness. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's going to play. He would be a pariah in the locker room and in the city if he sat out. Not to mention, I would LOVE to see an NFL team (not necessarily this situation) take a player to court for breach of contract and have the player ordered to pay back his salary and signing bonuses. That would put an end to a lot of this foolishness. 

Yeah but just suck if it was us during this Super Bowl window.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2024, 02:32 PM)kevin Wrote: More and more NFL teams are renegotiating rookie contracts early for talent playing at superstar level.  So would the Bengals be better with Chase playing or not ?  I thought the goal was to return to The Super Bowl.  

People reporting on Chase's contract issue are simply spewing opinions that have zero credence.  The Bengals are the tightest lips in the NFL.  

We have no idea what the issue may be. It could be that we want/need 4 years to spread out the money but he wants 3.  It could be the guaranteed money.  It could simply be a structure issue.  

There is rally no reason to be upset about it, he has 2 more years on his current contract.  The media is lumping him in with Jefferson, CeeDee and Aiyuk, all of which are a year ahead of Chase.

Reply/Quote
IF the Bengals lose the home opener to Patriots with no Chase, the demand by fans to Mike Brown to get Chase in there will be louder than standing under a jet taking off. However that may be too late, because Bengals should beat Patriots with new coach and new QB.  If no Chase and they lose that game, and with at Kansas City next, it could be an 0-2 start......Of course I want Bengals to Win and go back to Super Bowl, but they will need Burrow to Chase to do anything like that. 

Chase agents is pretty much asking for what Jefferson gets, and says every other NFL team is willing to pay Chase that right now.  Here's something Mike Brown should consider.  Chase will be more expensive to sign in 2025.  Having both Burrow and Chase locked in for 6 years down the road will actually save Mike Brown money and make Mike Brown money.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 08:31 PM)kevin Wrote: IF the Bengals lose the home opener to Patriots with no Chase, the demand by fans to Mike Brown to get Chase in there will be louder than standing under a jet taking off. However that may be too late, because Bengals should beat Patriots with new coach and new QB.  If no Chase and they lose that game, and with at Kansas City next, it could be an 0-2 start......Of course I want Bengals to Win and go back to Super Bowl, but they will need Burrow to Chase to do anything like that. 

Chase agents is pretty much asking for what Jefferson gets, and says every other NFL team is willing to pay Chase that right now.  Here's something Mike Brown should consider.  Chase will be more expensive to sign in 2025.  Having both Burrow and Chase locked in for 6 years down the road will actually save Mike Brown money and make Mike Brown money.  

Jefferson's contract was for $140M, it is reported that Chase wants $160M.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2024, 09:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Jefferson's contract was for $140M, it is reported that Chase wants $160M.

and when other WRs sign new contracts across NFL, it might take 200 Million to sign Chase in 2025.  Mike Brown better consider it may very well cost much more to sign Chase later than right now.  Plus what good is paying Hendrickson and everybody and having the team to win in 2024, but no Chase on the field to win.  Mike Brown stepping back into everything on this when most said it was now Katey and others.  Why still Mike Brown.  You younger people don't know, but I've seen Mike Brown really mess this team up a lot since Paul Brown died.  Then Fans scream to fire the head coach, but the real fault lies with Mike Brown in so many of those 4 wins or less seasons. 

This team will be far better with Chase locked in for 6 years, than without Chase.  If Mike Brown doesn't know that, then all I can say is this team runs better when Mike Brown lets the younger members of the Family run things. I think they stepped in last Summer as Mike Brown was saying in the press that there were many good reason not to keep and pay Burrow.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote