Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Will Be Bengals 3rd and Short Power Runner
Hopefully not always Burrow getting pushed ahead into a pile of tacklers. Bengals do have some RB's with break away speed once through the blocking lane. However sometimes you need that monster that is good for at least 1 or 2 yards with or without blocking lanes. On 3rd and short or down on the goal line, and Mixon gone, Bengals need a bread and butter go to guy when Powerhouse Football is needed. I like Chase Brown and the RB from Indy, both both are more speed backs than power up the middle backs.

GO BENGALS....Back To Super Bowl

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Mixon was terrible at that, or at least as a team we were. I remember the year we went to the SB we had more passing plays on 4th and short than expected, other teams might have been shocked but IMO we had to because it was a higher percentage play than Mixon gaining 1.5 yards. That SB year had everyone offguard, nobody knew how to guard Ja'marr yet, took them a whole season to figure it out.

I wish we gave Evan a chance instead of going for it on 4th, he was bombing everything that year and it was picture perfect to go into OT with a 65 yarder from Evan. It would have scared the crap out of the Rams that we could end it with one stop basically. Nervous nelly stafford would have thrown another pick maybe lol

Perine might come back, don't know
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 07:24 PM)kevin Wrote: Hopefully not always Burrow getting pushed ahead into a pile of tacklers.  Bengals do have some RB's with break away speed once through the blocking lane.  However sometimes you need that monster that is good for at least 1 or 2 yards with or without blocking lanes.  On 3rd and short or down on the goal line, and Mixon gone, Bengals need a bread and butter go to guy when Powerhouse Football is needed. I like Chase Brown and the RB from Indy, both both are more speed backs than power up the middle backs.

Tiger

Tyjae Spears  5'11" 195lbs and
Kyren Williams 5'9" 202lbs lead the NFL last year on conversion percentage on 3/4th and short (1 to 2 yds) at 90 and 89%. You don't need to be a big bruiser to convert on short yardage. Vision and burst are just as important...but blocking is the biggest factor in that. That's where the Bengals fall short (pun intended). 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Moss seems like a fall forward type of guy. I expect him to be the short yardage back.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 07:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Tyjae Spears  5'11" 195lbs and
Kyren Williams 5'9" 202lbs lead the NFL last year on conversion percentage on 3/4th and short (1 to 2 yds) at 90 and 89%. You don't need to be a big bruiser to convert on short yardage. Vision and burst are just as important...but blocking is the biggest factor in that. That's where the Bengals fall short (pun intended). 

Great point backed up by truth. Man I wanted us to draft Tyjae Spears, damn Titans. Mellow

But I think we will bring in another Back and keep 4 like we usually do. Would be nice to have a punishing, physical RB. Looks like 
Samaje is going to be cut by the Broncos and there should be many other RB's that could help us out. Zack Moss was very good in 
short yardage as well last year and much better than Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Although Moss has a little burst to his speed his bread and butter is between the tackles picking up extra yards (Yards After Contact) and being hard to bring down.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 07:33 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Mixon was terrible at that, or at least as a team we were. I remember the year we went to the SB we had more passing plays on 4th and short than expected, other teams might have been shocked but IMO we had to because it was a higher percentage play than Mixon gaining 1.5 yards. That SB year had everyone offguard, nobody knew how to guard Ja'marr yet, took them a whole season to figure it out.

I wish we gave Evan a chance instead of going for it on 4th, he was bombing everything that year and it was picture perfect to go into OT with a 65 yarder from Evan. It would have scared the crap out of the Rams that we could end it with one stop basically. Nervous nelly stafford would have thrown another pick maybe lol

Perine might come back, don't know

As a team we were. These highlights show Mixon was pretty good and likely why Houston went all in and his contract. Go to the 10:27 mark for his memorable 4th and 1 TD vs Vikings. Listen to the analysts talk about him. 
https://youtu.be/kXniSLoRCn8?feature=shared
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 08:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Although Moss has a little burst to his speed his bread and butter is between the tackles picking up extra yards (Yards After Contact) and being hard to bring down.

Yes, we needed a RB who was hard to tackle and Moss brings this. Too bad we haven't been able to see him yet because he was 
sick during the Tampa game, but Moss helps a ton in short yardage on 3rd downs and as a pass protector. Would be nice to add 
another RB that adds some weight to the room though, both Moss and Chase Brown are only about 200 pounds.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 08:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Moss seems like a fall forward type of guy. I expect him to be the short yardage back.

I've not seen that
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 07:24 PM)kevin Wrote:
Hopefully not always Burrow getting pushed ahead into a pile of tacklers.  Bengals do have some RB's with break away speed once through the blocking lane.  However sometimes you need that monster that is good for at least 1 or 2 yards with or without blocking lanes.  On 3rd and short or down on the goal line, and Mixon gone, Bengals need a bread and butter go to guy when Powerhouse Football is needed. I like Chase Brown and the RB from Indy, both both are more speed backs than power up the middle backs.

Tiger

When and how did Zack Moss and his 4.65 forty become a speed back all of a sudden?  

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 08:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Moss seems like a fall forward type of guy. I expect him to be the short yardage back.

(08-26-2024, 08:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Although Moss has a little burst to his speed his bread and butter is between the tackles picking up extra yards (Yards After Contact) and being hard to bring down.

(08-26-2024, 09:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, we needed a RB who was hard to tackle and Moss brings this. Too bad we haven't been able to see him yet because he was 
sick during the Tampa game, but Moss helps a ton in short yardage on 3rd downs and as a pass protector. Would be nice to add 
another RB that adds some weight to the room though, both Moss and Chase Brown are only about 200 pounds.

(08-26-2024, 09:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I've not seen that

Moss is the "power back" of the current bunch.  His strength is between the tackles, he is strong with very good vision and balance, despite some here that "havent seen that", LOL. 

Reply/Quote
I hope he is not on the roster. Kareem Hunt is a great goal line, 3rd down and power back. He is 29 years old and available,

But it also comes down to blocking. We have to get better run blocking.

I think it is Moss for now, but again I think we need a better option for 3rd down and 1.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
Zach Moss was brought in to be the hammer... The question is who is gonna stop 3rd & short and goal line on rhe other aide of the ball.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 09:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Moss is the "power back" of the current bunch.  His strength is between the tackles, he is strong with very good vision and balance, despite some here that "havent seen that", LOL. 

True lol

(08-26-2024, 09:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope he is not on the roster. Kareem Hunt is a great goal line, 3rd down and power back. He is 29 years old and available,

But it also comes down to blocking. We have to get better run blocking.

I think it is Moss for now, but again I think we need a better option for 3rd down and 1.

Kareem Hunt is a little older now and wasn't great last year. But if we brought him in and he looked good I would be all for signing him.

There should be a lot of RB's available after cuts though.

(08-26-2024, 09:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Zach Moss was brought in to be the hammer... The question is who is gonna stop 3rd & short and goal line on rhe other aide of the ball.

Yes, probably my only concern right now with McKinnley Jackson's injury question. I thought Tufele did pretty good against the Colts but 
he is about the only guy that is kind of considered a run stuffing NT and he ain't no DJ Reader.
Reply/Quote

It’s noteworthy we came out of this offseason, camp, and preseason not knowing what we have in Moss. 

Still a relatively unknown. On and off the field. 

Here anyway. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 09:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: It’s noteworthy we came out of this offseason, camp, and preseason not knowing what we have in Moss. 

Still a relatively unknown. On and off the field. 

Pretty sure the staff knows what they have in Moss, he started 8 games and played in 14 last season with 183 carries.  They didnt need one series of a preseason game to tell them anything.  As for us fans, pretty sure the staff doesnt care what we know at this juncture.  

Here are his highlights:

Reply/Quote
Idk if yall looked into Moss but he’s a 1 for 1 Mixon replacement

Everything we expected Mixon to do we will ask Moss to.

Definitely not as bruising as Mixon but he’s not easy to tackle either

I think if he’s decisive and picks the right holes he’ll do well
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 10:03 PM)Housh Wrote: Idk if yall looked into Moss but he’s a 1 for 1 Mixon replacement

Everything we expected Mixon to do we will ask Moss to.

Definitely not as bruising as Mixon but he’s not easy to tackle either

I think if he’s decisive and picks the right holes he’ll do well

Eh. Mixon the last couple of seasons was one of the worst backs in the NFL at YAC (Yards After Contact). He was also abysmal at pass protection. Moss is upper tier at YAC and also at pass protection. He is a better system fit for us. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2024, 09:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty sure the staff knows what they have in Moss, he started 8 games and played in 14 last season with 183 carries.  They didnt need one series of a preseason game to tell them anything.  As for us fans, pretty sure the staff doesnt care what we know at this juncture.  

Here are his highlights:

Nice. Zack Moss may only be about 206 pounds or so but he is a little bull. He will run you over and he has great fight in him with
fantastic balance and vision. 2 things we didn't have with Mixon. Plus Moss was the best pass protecting RB last season so he fits
here like a glove. Cool

(08-26-2024, 10:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Eh. Mixon the last couple of seasons was one of the worst backs in the NFL at YAC (Yards After Contact). He was also abysmal at pass protection. Moss is upper tier at YAC and also at pass protection. He is a better system fit for us. 

Yes sir, I don't know how many times just the turf monster got Mixon let alone a shoelace tackle. In these highlights by Moss he 
makes sure he cuts north instead of the dancing in the backfield shit or trying to wide zone it to the sideline like Mixon was doing 
the last couple seasons. Zack Moss is really hard to tackle, Joe Mixon was one of the easiest RB's to get to the ground for quite a 
bit now because he had such poor balance. He just fell down on his own.

Mixon would punish Corners on the sideline while lowering his shoulder and he was a talent as a pass catcher and he didn't fumble
often. These may be the areas where we miss Mixon, it won't be in short yardage or in the running game.
Reply/Quote
I think Moss will be the short yardage back and pass protector. He is great at falling forward and getting yards.

I think Chase will be the perimeter runner primarily and receiver out of the backfield. Get him in space. Let him make some moves and find daylight.

But I think both will do both to some degree.

Perine would be a solid backup as well--he's been efficient in all areas in the past.
Reply/Quote