Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August Game Thread 2024
(08-29-2024, 08:48 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Every move that Bell makes, ends up backfiring, be it pitching changes, batters, position of fielders, it just doesn’t matter.

(08-29-2024, 08:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Like a loud fart in a crowded elevator, the Reds are just embarrassing.

Hard to expect any kind of success with at least half of the normal roster on the IL.

And then they comeback and win!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey, at least they didn't get swept by a bottom-5 team in MLB.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
Oh yea, what a run for the Reds. 4-6 against the bottom feeders, impressive.
Something they can really build on.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 09:26 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Oh yea, what a run for the Reds. 4-6 against the bottom feeders, impressive.
Something they can really build on.

It really shows the lack of pitching readiness/depth when Greene, Lodolo, and Abbott are down. The rotation now is Martinez, Aguiar, Spiers, Lowder (as of today), and... who?
That might be the worst/most unproven rotation in the MLB.

And man, is Diaz struggling somethin fierce this year. Gone from a 1.84 ERA in 2022 to 3.07 ERA last year to now 4.86...as the clear cut closer. While he only technically has 4 blown saves in 50 games pitched, this year is arguably the worst for a Reds designated closer in the past 15 years (Cordero, Chapman, Iglesias, Diaz) when looking at runs allowed.

And the bats REALLY don't seem to get going against the good teams (e.g. Royals series).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 09:02 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Hard to expect any kind of success with at least half of the normal roster on the IL.

And then they comeback and win!!!!!!!!!!!

They had no success when everyone was healthy. Can’t make excuses for poor play.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 03:29 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: They had no success when everyone was healthy. Can’t make excuses for poor play.

They've never had everyone healthy this year which makes it even more amazing they were able to hang around .500 and stay in the wildcard race as long as they did. I wouldn't call that no success.
Reply/Quote
Tied game, leading MLB in stolen bases, and you get thrown out trying to turn a bunt into a double.

Also just for reference. This month:
EDLC SB: 6
EDLC CS + PO: 4 (this wasn't counted as either)

Sloppy.

Reply/Quote
Marte ***** blows at 3B. Just a comedy of errors all around with this team.

Reply/Quote
Our best relief pitcher gets another shot. Maybe we should put Mahle in the relief core, permanently
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 08:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Like a loud fart in a crowded elevator, the Reds are just embarrassing.

It's quickly becoming a complete joke. They should consider forfeiting the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 08:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marte ***** blows at 3B. Just a comedy of errors all around with this team.

Not to mention the fact he's batting .196 in 168 at bats. It seemed he was showing some promise at the end of last season but he's hit a very hard wall!! He's very young as well I know but IMHO he needs to go back to the minors for a long while.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not to mention the fact he's batting .196 in 168 at bats. It seemed he was showing some promise at the end of last season but he's hit a very hard wall!! He's very young as well I know but IMHO he needs to go back to the minors for a long while.

Must have been the juice…

Reply/Quote
Firing Bell would be a mercy at this point.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 10:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not to mention the fact he's batting .196 in 168 at bats. It seemed he was showing some promise at the end of last season but he's hit a very hard wall!! He's very young as well I know but IMHO he needs to go back to the minors for a long while.

[Image: 1*mfGrLRgxi-bLZGNIGfrevQ.jpeg]

Reply/Quote
Every time you think the Reds have hit rock bottom, they set another new low. This team is setting a record in futility and embarrassment and may not be equaled ever again.

We used to think, oh we can beat those teams, they are bottom feeders. Now we are the bottom feeders, annd everyone is looking at for wins and to pad their stats.
Reply/Quote
In the last 15 games the Reds are 4-11, giving up 88 runs. Yes I know the pitching staff has suffered numerous injuries but still.......

Plese let us get a new Mgr.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 10:20 AM)Timanky12 Wrote: Every time you think the Reds have hit rock bottom, they set another new low. This team is setting a record in futility and embarrassment and may not be equaled ever again.

We used to think, oh we can beat those teams, they are bottom feeders. Now we are the bottom feeders, annd everyone is looking at for wins and to pad their stats.

You do love to overreact quite a lot. If you want to see real futility go check out the White Sox.
Reply/Quote
Because I hate myself, I often listen to the Locked on Reds podcast. It's solid and Imo compares very favorably to the Bengals content and personalities.

Anyway, Jeff Carr was on there yesterday saying that Bell only gets fired in the case of a full on organizational re-structure. I call BS on that one, but he gets a lot right. His main implication was that for Krall to admit that Bell is a problem means that Krall is also a problem by virtue of his role in keeping Bell in place as manager. He also suggested that such a move would threaten Derek Johnson's place as pitching coach, which I strongly doubt. Johnson is the only guy here that should be considered safe.

Also, there was a hint in the same show that McClain may not be trending toward a smooth return. Idk what they know that others don't, but the overall tone about his health sounded pretty pessimistic.

Unrelated: Lowder looked okay. He needs a bit more time in the system, IMO. He seems like a guy with impeccable mechanics that could stand to add some lean mass.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 12:20 PM)cinci4life Wrote: You do love to overreact quite a lot. If you want to see real futility go check out the White Sox.

Yea, but the White Sox were not expected to make the playoffs, and everyone was expecting the Reds to make the playoffs.
That’s what makes this just a disappointing season, they have taken 3 steps backwards, with no hope in sight with the current  players on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 02:13 PM)samhain Wrote: Because I hate myself, I often listen to the Locked on Reds podcast.  It's solid and Imo compares very favorably to the Bengals content and personalities.  

Anyway, Jeff Carr was on there yesterday saying that Bell only gets fired in the case of a full on organizational re-structure.  I call BS on that one, but he gets a lot right. His main implication was that for Krall to admit that Bell is a problem means that Krall is also a problem by virtue of his role in keeping Bell in place as manager.  He also suggested that such a move would threaten Derek Johnson's place as pitching coach, which I strongly doubt.  Johnson is the only guy here that should be considered safe.  

Also, there was a hint in the same show that McClain may not be trending toward a smooth return.  Idk what they know that others don't, but the overall tone about his health sounded pretty pessimistic.  

Unrelated: Lowder looked okay.  He needs a bit more time in the system, IMO.  He seems like a guy with impeccable mechanics that could stand to add some lean mass.

None of our pitchers can ever handle a starter's workload. 
We haven't had someone throw 150 innings in a season since 2021. 
We have the 21st pitcher ERA in MLB.
Last year we had the 25th pitcher ERA in MLB.
In 2022 we had the 28th pitcher ERA in MLB.
OUR STARTERS HAVEN'T HAD AN ABOVE-AVERAGE BB/9 RANK SINCE 2014.

Nobody should be safe.

We need a wholesale cleanout of the entire team. From ownership to batboy.

- - - - - - - -

As for McLain, I always assumed he was going to be out for the season. They've gotten real good at repairing knees and elbows, but shoulders are still a really serious injury that can end careers if they don't go well and heal well. Them trying to rush him back while not having had a winning record in 3 months and having a setback is peak Reds. 

Reply/Quote