Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 things Bengals must do
(08-28-2024, 07:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We've had an issue stopping the run for quite a while. Hell, even in the ML error, it was our weakness.

We were pretty good a couple years ago when we went to the Super Bowl, we were a top 5 Defense against the run but yeah, we 
need to get back to being a good run stopping Defense if we want to get back. Having a good Offense that can run up the score 
board will help and so will having good communication and leadership on the backend.

As long as we have DT's that can take up blocks and free up the others to make tackles we should be alright. I think BJ Hill can 
play Nose Tackle with his hybrid ways.

(08-28-2024, 08:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep I know different people/sites had him different places.

Lance Zierlein had him Rd 6.
Bleacher Report scouting report had him as a 4th rounder.
NFL Draft Buzz had him 5th round.
Pro Football Network had him as a late Rd 3 - early 4th rounder due to the scarcity of true NT prospects in this draft class.

My feeling - Bengals liked him and wanted a true NT. They didn't feel he would make it to their pick in Rd 4 so they took him with 3rd round comp pick.
I don't see using a 3rd round comp pick to get a position of need to be a huge deal vs using their regular 4th rounder.
4th round felt right for him to me, but I was ok with pulling the trigger a bit early to not risk him getting taken before 115.

Same way I felt about McKinnley Jackson before we drafted him. He reminded a lot of people of DJ Reader who wasn't drafted 
early either. DJ didn't have a great rookie season and I didn't expect McKinnley to have a great one, but down the road he could 
be a very good NT for us.

I thought T'Vondre Sweat was the overrated NT in this last class and he was a head case off the field on top of it and undiscplined 
with his weight. Byron Murphy I believed was the elite DT on that DL and made Sweat look better than he actually was.
Reply/Quote
1. Get Chase back on the field

2. Hope RT gets healthy.

3. Hope the run D holds up.

4. Hope Hill comes good at CB.
Reply/Quote
This will be a different look on defense. We've been so used to a big NT like Reader that we might be overreacting a bit to the new look of the DT room. I think we'll be all right though it may look different. Hill, Rankins and Jenkins all are above average vs the run. Tufele when he is on is good in power terms versus the run. Also we kept Njongmeta who is a run stopping traditional MIKE style hammer. So I expect some more 3 LB looks. The big concern is as always edge setting especially on runs designed to change direction on the DEs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Stopping the run is more important than the running game on offense.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Probably true but if they don't improve both they will be punting alot and the D will be worn out from being on the field too long.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 07:28 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Probably true but if they don't improve both they will be punting alot and the D will be worn out from being on the field too long.

Not necessarily true. Even on the long drive against Tampa in our first Preseason with Burrow the running game with Chase Brown wasn't
good but we went right down the field and scored a TD. We just need to use the running game enough to where it is effective and some 
what respected with a healthy Joe Burrow and his weapons.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2024, 06:44 PM)J24 Wrote: Stopping the run is more important than the running game on offense.

They did not seem to have much of a problem stopping the run in Pre-Season...fwiw.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 10:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They did not seem to have much of a problem stopping the run in Pre-Season...fwiw.

It's also the preseason!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 11:49 AM)J24 Wrote: It's also the preseason!

Yeah, need to see it for real. Saw some good things in Preseason though and that was without our starters except for a touch against Tampa.

Lou and Zac have been talking a good game about our communication since Vonn got back and Geno was added, but wait and see.
Reply/Quote