Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jermaine Burton!
Burton was never gonna be a starter this year absent multiple injuries. Whatever his attitude, he dominated the preseason with the most catches, yard, TDs, and first downs. Plus they pressed him into kick and punt returns. The Bengals efforts to humble him by giving him only garbage time have failed. I also can't help but think that he was paying attention to Tee and Ja'Maar this off-season.; the clear lesson is that if you're a good player the Bengals will put up with a lot of BS. He will get on the field this year and he will get catches because Joe wants to win games.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2024, 08:23 PM)samhain Wrote: He's joining a NFL locker room environment, and that's it.  Most of the top tier teams in the league have gone through the same contract crap with premier players.  

It went on seemingly forever with Lamar, a quarterback no less.  Baltimore is considered as model of a NFL culture as there is.

The Niners are arguably the most stacked roster in the league and have dealt with it for the last 2 years with Williams, Aiyuk, and Deebo.  Still SB contenders.

Buffalo won a shitload of games with Diggs being perpetually disgruntled.

Even the almighty chiefs watched Chris Jones sit out a regular season game.  I doubt anyone will call them a "bad enviroment".

If you have a enough talent to contend, you're going to have this stuff.  It sucks for fans, but the impact on locker room culture is hardly toxic by default.  

The outlier was the 3 seasons with high-end cheap talent, not the contract disputes we all saw coming.

Exactly

This isn't some super new problem. It's par for today's course. No drama here
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Frank likes drama though.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2024, 10:53 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: there's a reason he fell.

and he isnt joining a good environment in this wr room anyways. Tee's leaving and wants out, Chase is currently in a negotiation for a new contract... Not exactly a happy family environment for Burton

oh, new OC too

thank you for your insights into the Bengals group off wide receivers..can you please tell us what they had for lunch yesterday and what movies they will be watching Friday night..
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2024, 11:52 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Housh was a minimal athleticism, hard work possession guy. Burton is a major athleticism, low effort downfield guy.

pretty much the exact opposite of Housh. 

hes a rookie ..he's not staring ..especially with Higgins and Chase on the team ..no story here
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2024, 11:52 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Housh was a minimal athleticism, hard work possession guy. Burton is a major athleticism, low effort downfield guy.

pretty much the exact opposite of Housh. 

What makes him low-effort?

Maybe I missed some report from training camp/preseason, but the only bad mark I recall for him heading into the draft was his after-game incident with a Tennessee Volunteers fan back almost 2 years ago.

As for the rest, I see a big-play dude with good speed and athleticism that continually expanded his production in college at a premiere football program.

With that said, I think anyone expecting Burton to blossom into a bona fide WR1 on a team might have their expectations too high.

Lance Zierlein might have his comp pretty spot-on...Kenny Stills.
Stills had quite a few seasons he was putting up WR2/WR3 numbers utilizing his speed.
Or maybe a Devery Henderson level of production.

I think those are more realistic expectations for Burton.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Burton was a high risk pick.

I'd have gone a different direction. OGs like Hayes & Zinter were there. At WR I wanted Roman Wilson badly. TE's like Stover were there (and Sanders & Reiman).

Having said that, it is way too early to write the kid off.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2024, 08:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I think the slot is going to get a ton of action. Obviously Isovias, Chase, and Gesicki. I ask you if Gesicki is in the slot inside the 10 which I think he will a lot. He’s deadly there. Doesn’t that also benefit the run game?

You would think so right but no Gesicki will still have similar matchups against Safeties/LBs/Nickel Corners as he would lined up at the H as the F. It's all about ability to block that's why I'm looking forward to Andre Iosivas as a 6'3 210 power slot and Erick All as the H/F.

I expect thr TE room to be a rotation similar to Hudson/Wilcox last year but with Gesicki and Erick All.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2024, 10:34 AM)ERIC1 Wrote: thank you for your insights into the Bengals group off wide receivers..can you please tell us what they had for lunch yesterday and what movies they will be watching Friday night..

Who says they're watching movies on Friday?

Who says they're watching movies, AT ALL?

Shocked Shocked Shocked (plays Twilight Zone theme)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 12:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Who says they're watching movies on Friday?

Who says they're watching movies, AT ALL?

Shocked Shocked Shocked (plays Twilight Zone theme)

It's Beetlejuice 2 opening night they are definitely watching a movie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2024, 02:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Burton was a high risk pick.

I'd have gone a different direction. OGs like Hayes & Zinter were there. At WR I wanted Roman Wilson badly. TE's like Stover were there (and Sanders & Reiman).

Having said that, it is way too early to write the kid off.

Wilson would have been my pick at WR.  He's been impressive in Steelers camp, but got hurt.  

Jaylen Wright, Blake Corum, or Braelin Allen at RB would have been great additions, as well.  
Reply/Quote
Stupid Chiefs seem to have gotten another good weapon from the draft this year. Doesn't seem like Burton will be it, but sure would have been nice to have gotten a couple guys we could have as quality Week 1 starters.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 12:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Stupid Chiefs seem to have gotten another good weapon from the draft this year. Doesn't seem like Burton will be it, but sure would have been nice to have gotten a couple guys we could have as quality Week 1 starters.

No way I would spend #18 on Worthy.  This was a generational type T class.  We had to go T if there were any top prospects left.  And that's coming from a guy that folks commonly think overvalues skill positions.

Now, my dude was Oklahoma RT Tyler Guyton, who was basically hated by most everyone else.  He moved to LT, won the starting job, and was PFF's highest graded rookie T in the preseason at 80.6.  And I didn't like Mims because he was injury prone.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2024, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What makes him low-effort?

Maybe I missed some report from training camp/preseason, but the only bad mark I recall for him heading into the draft was his after-game incident with a Tennessee Volunteers fan back almost 2 years ago.

As for the rest, I see a big-play dude with good speed and athleticism that continually expanded his production in college at a premiere football program.

With that said, I think anyone expecting Burton to blossom into a bona fide WR1 on a team might have their expectations too high.

Lance Zierlein might have his comp pretty spot-on...Kenny Stills.
Stills had quite a few seasons he was putting up WR2/WR3 numbers utilizing his speed.
Or maybe a Devery Henderson level of production.

I think those are more realistic expectations for Burton.

Completely agree on Burton's history and it being blown out of proportion. But I think he could be better than both of the guys you listed 
and I really liked Kenny Stills. I think Burton has more explosiveness and better hands and as long as he gets his choppy feet and his routes
figured out he could be very good and could be a #1 with his talent.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 12:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Stupid Chiefs seem to have gotten another good weapon from the draft this year. Doesn't seem like Burton will be it, but sure would have been nice to have gotten a couple guys we could have as quality Week 1 starters.

Eh, Worthy's 1 TD was complete blown coverage and the other was a toss play where the Rats were completely unprepared.

Now Rashee Rice on those short Slants, that was deadly and he was their best WR by far. Need to prepare for Rice and Pacheco in the 
run game. Samaje had a nice little catch and run but other than that was invisible.

(09-06-2024, 12:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: No way I would spend #18 on Worthy.  This was a generational type T class.  We had to go T if there were any top prospects left.  And that's coming from a guy that folks commonly think overvalues skill positions.

Now, my dude was Oklahoma RT Tyler Guyton, who was basically hated by most everyone else.  He moved to LT, won the starting job, and was PFF's highest graded rookie T in the preseason at 80.6.  And I didn't like Mims because he was injury prone.

Completely agree on Worthy. Disagreed on Guyton though, I was one of those that didn't want that guy to be the pick. At least not in the first.

I do agree that Mims question is injuries, but he is ten times better on tape than Guyton and only has like 3 injuries to his name now.

Guyton could end up being decent, but it was Preseason as we say. Mims looked good against starters in Tampa.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree on Burton's history and it being blown out of proportion. But I think he could be better than both of the guys you listed 
and I really liked Kenny Stills. I think Burton has more explosiveness and better hands and as long as he gets his choppy feet and his routes
figured out he could be very good and could be a #1 with his talent.

I don't see Burton's skill set translating to be a bona fide WR1, personally.
He has explosiveness but he never really dominated the two years he was a starter at Alabama.
He was pretty much neck and neck with Brooks and Bond in terms of production.
I see Burton as someone who is very likely going to be a WR2/3 that can make some great plays but won't be to the extent of a Chase or Higgins.

I think of like how JJSS was in PIT.
He was really good when they had Antonio Brown taking focus away from him.
He has never really regained that magic ever after that, being under 1000 yards every season since.

I might end up being wrong about Burton and he could blossom into a Top-20 WR, but I think it will take a couple seasons before that happens, if ever.

FWIW, Bengals don't need a 1000+ yard guy as long as they have Higgins and/or Chase on the roster.
They need someone who can consistently put up 600-900 yards as WR2/3.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see Burton's skill set translating to be a bona fide WR1, personally.
He has explosiveness but he never really dominated the two years he was a starter at Alabama.
He was pretty much neck and neck with Brooks and Bond in terms of production.
I see Burton as someone who is very likely going to be a WR2/3 that can make some great plays but won't be to the extent of a Chase or Higgins.

I think of like how JJSS was in PIT.
He was really good when they had Antonio Brown taking focus away from him.
He has never really regained that magic ever after that, being under 1000 yards every season since.

I might end up being wrong about Burton and he could blossom into a Top-20 WR, but I think it will take a couple seasons before that happens, if ever.

FWIW, Bengals don't need a 1000+ yard guy as long as they have Higgins and/or Chase on the roster.
They need someone who can consistently put up 600-900 yards as WR2/3.

He's not complete enough as a receiver at this point for me to project him as a true #1.  I don't really see the JuJu comp at all, though.  JuJu is basically Higgins,mainly limited to intermediate stuff and more of a possession #2.  If we're talking current guys, I'd say Gabe Davis would be a better comp.  
Reply/Quote
If Tee and Jamarr don't go he will be our most explosive WR talent wise on Sunday
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 02:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's not complete enough as a receiver at this point for me to project him as a true #1.  I don't really see the JuJu comp at all, though.  JuJu is basically Higgins,mainly limited to intermediate stuff and more of a possession #2.  If we're talking current guys, I'd say Gabe Davis would be a better comp.  

I wasn't meaning a JJSS comp from a skill set standpoint.
I gave the explanation of player comparison already earlier in the thread of being more like a Kenny Stills or Devery Henderson skill set.

I was meaning JJSS in regard to how JJSS was never really "the guy" on his team.
He produced well when he had someone else really good taking the focus off him.
AB and Diontae Johnson in PIT, Kelce in KC.

I think Burton will need a true WR1 on the same team to help draw coverage away to allow him to be more productive.
He'll be a complementary piece.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Worthy's 1 TD was complete blown coverage and the other was a toss play where the Rats were completely unprepared.

This. People got way too caught up with "Wow who let the Chiefs get Worthy?!". The reverse was really well blocked and any competent WR catches the TD pass. He did nothing that was special other than play for a team with a great play caller. He may end up being great but nothing he did there should really make anyone freak out.
Reply/Quote