Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kris Jenkins Surgery
(09-06-2024, 05:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Wouldn't that be a huge boost....?  I like Rogers as well, they both likely need a redshirt season but I like giving Rogers a shot.

We really need him and Jackson to get going. NFL is already in full swing of power running, to keep opposing offenses off the field. 

To counter that, big 1-techs in the middle are needed now, but scarce. College football is just not developing enough of these guys.  

In our division:

Henry: 6'3 - 247lbs
Edwards: 6'1 - 238lbs
Harris: 6'1 - 242lbs 
Chubb: 5'11 - 227lbs (he looks bigger)

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 06:23 PM)XsandOs Wrote: We really need him and Jackson to get going. NFL is already in full swing of power running, to keep opposing offenses off the field. 

To counter that, big 1-techs in the middle are needed now, but scarce. College football is just not developing enough of these guys.  

In our division:

Henry: 6'3 - 247lbs
Edwards: 6'1 - 238lbs
Harris: 6'1 - 242lbs 
Chubb: 5'11 - 227lbs (he looks bigger)

FWIW, that dude's w/ the Chargers, but your point is solid.

I've often said the Bengals are not built to play in the AFC North, they're built to play the rest of the league. Most likely why we're the only AFC team to disrupt KC in the last 4-5 years
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 06:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, that dude's w/ the Chargers, but your point is solid.

I've often said the Bengals are not built to play in the AFC North, they're built to play the rest of the league. Most likely why we're the only AFC team to disrupt KC in the last 4-5 years

Thank you for correcting Edwards being with Chargers now. 

With Reader, at least it felt like we could stop the Steelers from running down our throats every game. I'm hoping one of Jackson or Rogers pans out this year.

To your KC point, I still feel that the Monday night game in KC in 2018 when we got blown out by 35 points, was the beginning of where we are now. I actually felt terrible for PB sitting in the box looking embarrassed.  
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 06:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, that dude's w/ the Chargers, but your point is solid.

pro football is a tough game no matter what the division..there is nothing in the physical make up of the AFC north teams that make the roster any stronger or tougher
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 07:54 PM)ERIC1 Wrote: pro football is a tough game no matter what the division..there is nothing in the physical make up of the AFC north teams that make the roster any stronger or tougher

We had DJ Reader here last year and we just didn't have that mean streak we had the couple years before because of youngsters 
and a terrible player (Nick Scott) starting on Defense in the Secondary and ruining our communication. Injuries to Logan Wilson, Sam
Hubbard and Joe Burrow on Offense completely hampered our physicality on both sides of the ball.

Sure, these are excuses but you try and play physical ball on Offense being in the Shotgun 100% of the time early in the season and 
hurt Captain type players on Defense that have new players around them, good luck.

We can be just as physical in the AFC North as any team I agree, but these things hamper you. Good luck Ravens having Roquan, 
Hamilton and the entire running game on Offense injured and still remaining as physical as you want to be. 

In the end we have Burrow healthy for once and when he is healthy and we get into the Playoffs we win more times than not unlike
Lamar and the Ravens and the rest of the AFC North.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 07:54 PM)ERIC1 Wrote: pro football is a tough game no matter what the division..there is nothing in the physical make up of the AFC north teams that make the roster any stronger or tougher

The other 3 AFCN teams do have better players on defense than we do.

Reply/Quote
Even with flashing in the preseason I think you ease a rookie DT in. I expected Jenkins to get more and more playing time mid to late in the year. If they were planning on / or if he earned outright being 3rd off the bench this early they wouldn’t have kept both Tufele and Carter.

Just my opinion, but I think he and Jackson were inactive until Tufele and Carter proved ineffective (again). Then you would see Jenkins get an opportunity. This is veteran team. I can see coaches leaning on the vets early in the season. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 10:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: Even with flashing in the preseason I think you ease a rookie DT in. I expected Jenkins to get more and more playing time mid to late in the year. If they were planning on / or if he earned outright being 3rd off the bench this early they wouldn’t have kept both Tufele and Carter.

Just my opinion, but I think he and Jackson were inactive until Tufele and Carter proved ineffective (again). Then you would see Jenkins get an opportunity. This is veteran team. I can see coaches leaning on the vets early in the season. 

Jenkins was 100,000% playing Sunday.  That said, you are not wrong on your assessment regarding Dline readiness.  Jenkins is very close to good enough to be playing meaningful snaps, but the lack of quality depth ensured that he would be active.

Reply/Quote

There's many many quotes from a multitude of different players that say the same thing playing in the AFC North is different... more physical, more violent.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 03:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: a bit of overreaction, Mims back to practice, Jenkins minor injury , Jackson will miss some time yes.. as for Burton... Irvin is a veteran  solid connection with Burrow, he was going to be very hard to unseat as #3..., but Iosivas has really stepped up since last year that is not a knock on Burton, more of a praise on improvement over a year with Iosivas plus Burton had a solid preseason.   Way too early to judge the 2024 class

Michael Irvin or Julius Irvin?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm 48, 230 pounds and in relatively good shape. Also looking for a secondary source of income.

I'd get run over by AFCN backs for 500K a year.

Just saying.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2024, 10:55 PM)Synric Wrote: There's many many quotes from a multitude of different players that say the same thing playing in the AFC North is different... more physical, more violent.

And the physical makeup of the Teams confirm it.

Physicality in football starts with the fundamental tenant of running the ball and stopping the run.

To that end, AFC North has been the prime example of it - big physical running backs, huge FBs (Ricard is listed at 300lbs+) and monster NTs to stop them.

Ravens have Pierce at 355lbs
Cleveland has Tomlinson who is listed at 6'3 325, but that is generous PR
We HAD Reader
Steelers deploy a base 3-4 with 3 big tackles in the interior backed up by thumper LBs behind them.

If we look starting with Baltimore at the turn of the Century, they won the SB with Jamal Lewis at RB weighing 247lbs and Siragusa/Adams in the middle of Baltimore defensive line each weighing 330+ lbs.

The 2024 version of Raven's 21 formation will have a 247lb RB following a 300lb+ FB. By midseason when defensive lines are bruised and battered, seeing Ravens in 21 formation will be scary. 
Reply/Quote