Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside Help
Bengals played well yesterday, but there are some big areas of concern IMO.

True Slot WR… really missing Tyler Boyd. 3rd and 6, need a reliable set of hands. Iosivas and Irwin are not it, especially without Higgins, and not sure Burton is at this point.

Hunter Renfrow is a free agent. 74% catch rate, Tyler Boyd was 68%. After our WR, not named Chase, just caught 33% of their targets, something has got to give.

Cut Irwin.

Edge help… bengals got good pressure yesterday, but we need someone else that can bring some heat. Maybe ossai continues to develop and Myles can bring something to the table, but Yannick Nguake is out there and can be a force. Last year was not as good as his career averages, but I would think he can help.

Cut KJ Henry?

DT help… depending on severity of the injuries, we might see some
Roster movement to IR. Not sure who would be best, but imminent help is likely needed.

Hassaan Ridgeway
Lawrence Guy
Bryan Mone
Al Woods
Tyson Alualu
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Renfrow idea is pretty good. I don't know though, he wasn't great the past 2 years.
Reply/Quote
Iosivias is a slot receiver may wind up being a good one forced too play outside right now due to not trusting Burton and Tee being injured
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Renfrow idea is pretty good. I don't know though, he wasn't great the past 2 years.

True, but keep in mind that two years ago, he only played 10 games. Over a 17 game sample he would have had 61 catches for 560 yards.

Last year was his first year without Derek Carr. Both years overlap with them getting davante adams.. reducing target share.

Catch percentage by year

2019 - 69%
2020 - 73%
2021 - 80%
2022 - 36%
2023 - 68%

Not saying he is a needle mover, but he, or a guy with his skill set, sure could come in handy on crunch time situation.
Reply/Quote
Nope.

"The Slot Is Dead"

Good riddance and Boyd being gone is a blessing in disguise. We're obliterating and innovating the slot position. Other teams are going to copy our brilliance as our genius destroys cover 2 defenses.

Ninja Ninja Ninja

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Iosivias is a slot receiver may wind up being a good one forced too play outside right now due to not trusting Burton and Tee being injured

What has he proven to be a good slot receiver? The Iosivas love is mind numbing at this point. He has potential… but he dropped a crucial pass yesterday, and is catching 50% of his passes on the year.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Iosivias is a slot receiver may wind up being a good one forced too play outside right now due to not trusting Burton and Tee being injured

Exactly, and he scored two tuds. The only glaring mistake that he made yesterday was not understanding how to settle in the zone which led to a big incompletion.

Irwin is replaceable but I doubt that happens because it's obvious that JB likes him. So much so, that he made the wrong decision of trying to get Irwin a tud instead of just walking it in.

JBs poor decision on that play, a missed extra point, and another young player making a poor decision at the end, again, was the difference in the game. 

Other than Hendrickson, nobody stood out as a pass rusher. Help should be on the way there though.

The biggest concern is without question DT. Loss of Reader and injuries are really hurting the team here. 
Reply/Quote
Too early to panic at WR yet. The DL must be the priority, especially the tackles

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:50 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: What has he proven to be a good slot receiver?  The Iosivas love is mind numbing at this point.  He has potential…  but he dropped a crucial pass yesterday, and is catching 50% of his passes on the year.

That wasn't a drop as much as it was a miscommunication between a QB and a WR playing out of his regular position. The most glaring mistakes of the game were the missed extra point, Burrow not walking in an easy TD, and a penalty by a young player.

Picking out the second year WR that scored two tuds yesterday against the two time defending SB champs to hate on is weak sauce. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:54 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Exactly, and he scored two tuds. The only glaring mistake that he made yesterday was not understanding how to settle in the zone which led to a big incompletion.

Irwin is replaceable but I doubt that happens because it's obvious that JB likes him. So much so, that he made the wrong decision of trying to get Irwin a tud instead of just walking it in.

JBs poor decision on that play, a missed extra point, and another young player making a poor decision at the end, again, was the difference in the game. 

Other than Hendrickson, nobody stood out as a pass rusher. Help should be on the way there though.

The biggest concern is without question DT. Loss of Reader and injuries are really hurting the team here. 

He has 33 yards receiving on the year. He doesn't suck. But, he's just a guy so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He has 33 yards receiving on the year. He doesn't suck. But, he's just a guy so far.

I get it but he also leads the team in TDs. I'll take points over yards every day and twice on Sundays. He clearly knows how to get open and catch the ball in the redzone.
Reply/Quote
Talent’s actually not my issue anywhere. Not sure what Renfrow would do, especially once Tee comes back. They’ll have enough trouble getting touches for guys already here. They just need to step into their roles. If anything all the roster turnover (Boyd, Mixon, half the TE room, half-camp Chase, hamstring Tee) might well be why they’ve looked a bit clunky to this point. I don’t think they need any more new guys.

If there is a hole, I think it’s DI (as others have pointed out). But even there you have bodies who’ll be cycling in soon (Jenkins and Jackson), and the Fa market is barren anyway. Fwiw, Carter and Tufele played over 50% of the snaps yesterday, including most of the second half. Thought they held their own and it’s superb experience, but don’t know if it’s sustainable.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:16 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Bengals played well yesterday, but there are some big areas of concern IMO.

True Slot WR… really missing Tyler Boyd.  3rd and 6, need a reliable set of hands.  Iosivas and Irwin are not it, especially without Higgins, and not sure Burton is at this point.  

Hunter Renfrow is a free agent. 74% catch rate, Tyler Boyd was 68%.  After our WR, not named Chase, just caught 33% of their targets, something has got to give.  

Cut Irwin.

Edge help… bengals got good pressure yesterday, but we need someone else that can bring some heat.  Maybe ossai continues to develop and Myles can bring something to the table, but Yannick Nguake is out there and can be a force. Last year was not as good as his career averages, but I would think he can help.

Cut KJ Henry?

DT help… depending on severity of the injuries, we might see some
Roster movement to IR.  Not sure who would be best, but imminent help is likely needed.

Hassaan Ridgeway
Lawrence Guy
Bryan Mone
Al Woods
Tyson Alualu

We definitely need DT help. I don't know what we have right now, BJ Hill and Rankins both got banged up in this one. We have Tufele
who actually played good yesterday, but that is about it besides Carter who I have no faith in.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 12:50 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: What has he proven to be a good slot receiver?  The Iosivas love is mind numbing at this point.  He has potential…  but he dropped a crucial pass yesterday, and is catching 50% of his passes on the year.

The 50% catch rate is deceiving, as most of the throws to him have not been on target and typically are behind him. Burrow is still not dropping dimes consistently. 
Reply/Quote

Dude he's a second year player, the first year playing the most difficult receiver position.  Relax.
Reply/Quote
Definitely need to sign a DT. I’d maybe take a flier on Josh Tupou. He’s nothing special but he’s harder to move than Zack Carter and he knows we’re to be in Lou’s system. I looked up his status says Tupou suffered an undisclosed injury with Baltimore in the preseason and instead of spending the 2024 season on the team's injured reserve, he'll test the open market. Don’t know how you can test the market if your that hurt not sure what to make of that. The defense tackle market is gross in general.
Reply/Quote
Zac said in his press conference they are potentially looking for some DTs

Rankins and Hill both have pulled hammies. No word on severity

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
Trade MIke Hilton to Philly for DT(3t) Milton Williams or/and Trade a 6th rd pick to the Rams for NT Bobby Brown.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 01:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: The 50% catch rate is deceiving, as most of the throws to him have not been on target and typically are behind him. Burrow is still not dropping dimes consistently. 

Go look at Jamar’s catch rate. Or Mike g.

Your record (or stats in this case) are what your stats say you are.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2024, 01:11 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I get it but he also leads the team in TDs. I'll take points over yards every day and twice on Sundays. He clearly knows how to get open and catch the ball in the redzone.

Were they not two broken/extended plays by burrow? Anyone gets open on a 5 second play. Iosivas is not getting open on routine plays.
Reply/Quote