Poll: Should Bengals let Chase Walk after Rookie Contract?
YES
NO
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 10-25-2024

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ja' Marr Chase's Contract: Should Bengals let him walk?
No. He's one of the few reliable targets Burrow can throw at. Also I don't trust Irwin and Iosivas to win 1-on-1 matchups. Just pay the man and move on from this drama. Chase won't play for us once he hits his late 20s and early 30s, he will probably sign a three-year deal with us after this season and leave for more money later. Most WRs play for multiple teams before retiring.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get folks love their Ja'Mar Chase Underoos but I don't consider the OP's thread to be dismissed as "over-reaction".

My problem with this thread is "let him walk". I could give this thread some credit if wanted to discuss trading him for a haul, that's at least worth thinking about. But letting him walk? That would mean we'd have let both Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase walk in consecutive years and get absolutely nothing in return. 

At least the Chiefs can point to their young 1st Team All-Pro CB as what they got in exchange for no longer having Tyreek Hill. (Also Skyy Moore and Kadarius Toney who have both been a bust BUT both did catch 4th quarter TDs in their SB combeback win at least.)

Hollywood Brown was obviously below Tyreek and AJ Brown, but the Ravens still ended up getting the 1st rounder that they then traded down from to draft Linderbaum (and their current punter).

It didn't work out great for the Packers and Titans and what they got in return, but they still got SOMETHING in return. The point is letting Chase just walk is a bad premise.

[Image: pablo-narcos.gif]
Reply/Quote
If I was Chase, there’s no way I’d sign an extension.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get folks love their Ja'Mar Chase Underoos but I don't consider the OP's thread to be dismissed as "over-reaction".

Underoos? Mine were The Incredible Hulk, when my wife reaches a certain state of tipsiness, and the lighting is just right, she swears that I kinda look similar to him.  But as far as allowing Jamarr Chase to "exit" to another team? No, he's a truly elite player and should be retained and rewarded as such. As for the logic of gaining draft collateral? Meh, our "war room team" fails as much as they hit on picks.

Jamarr Chase is a quantifiable elite player in every sense of the term. (I know that term gets thrown around loosely sometimes) The team needs to treat him as one of their "cornerstone" players and continue to build around him and Joe.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 05:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My problem with this thread is "let him walk". I could give this thread some credit if wanted to discuss trading him for a haul, that's at least worth thinking about. But letting him walk? That would mean we'd have let both Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase walk in consecutive years and get absolutely nothing in return. 

At least the Chiefs can point to their young 1st Team All-Pro CB as what they got in exchange for no longer having Tyreek Hill. (Also Skyy Moore and Kadarius Toney who have both been a bust BUT both did catch 4th quarter TDs in their SB combeback win at least.)

Hollywood Brown was obviously below Tyreek and AJ Brown, but the Ravens still ended up getting the 1st rounder that they then traded down from to draft Linderbaum (and their current punter).

It didn't work out great for the Packers and Titans and what they got in return, but they still got SOMETHING in return. The point is letting Chase just walk is a bad premise.

I said "let him walk" because that is the trend of the FO.  The FO would require Chase to play this year and next on rookie deal, then franchise, then let him go.  They could have traded Higgins when his value was high but they did not.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals should trade Chase and let Higgins walk.. Burrow can throw the ball to anyone, as long as the stretch the field a little.

We need to concentrate on the defense. I am not talking just spending money, which they already did, but bringing in-good DL and DB’s, and a real defensive coordinator. Pittsburgh does it with defense and we should be able to do that, also. You can win a SB with defense, but you can’t without one.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 05:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My problem with this thread is "let him walk". I could give this thread some credit if wanted to discuss trading him for a haul, that's at least worth thinking about. But letting him walk? That would mean we'd have let both Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase walk in consecutive years and get absolutely nothing in return. 

Agreed, there's 0 reason to let JC walk and we don't have to worry about that. He's under contract through the 2025 season.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 09:17 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: I think the Bengals should trade Chase and let Higgins walk.. Burrow can throw the ball to anyone, as long as the stretch the field a little.

We need to concentrate on the defense. I am not talking just spending money, which they already did, but bringing in-good DL and DB’s, and a real defensive coordinator. Pittsburgh does it with defense and we should be able to do that, also. You can win a SB with defense, but you can’t without one.

There is literally zero evidence of this. At LSU he had both Jefferson and Chase, and in Cincinnati he’s always had at least Chase or Tee.

And before anyone brings up Brady or Mahomes they both had HoF TE’s, and HoF HC’s. Asking Burrow to carry a Zac Taylor/Dan Pitcher offense with no high end weapons would be a disaster.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There is literally zero evidence of this. At LSU he had both Jefferson and Chase, and in Cincinnati he’s always had at least Chase or Tee.

And before anyone brings up Brady or Mahomes they both had HoF TE’s, and HoF HC’s. Asking Burrow to carry a Zac Taylor/Dan Pitcher offense with no high end weapons would be a disaster.

I don't know about you, but I'm of the thinking that Zac Taylor should hire an actual OC and allow him to call the plays (barring critical situations, of course) and just stick to the bigger picture of management of the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about you, but I'm of the thinking that Zac Taylor should hire an actual OC and allow him to call the plays (barring critical situations, of course) and just stick to the bigger picture management of the team.

People scoffed at the idea of bringing in Joe Brady, but he has that Buffalo offense humming so far.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People scoffed at the idea of bringing in Joe Brady, but he has that Buffalo offense humming so far.

And they let their best WR and how many other quality veterans go due to cap reasons? And that team now looks stronger than before.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People scoffed at the idea of bringing in Joe Brady, but he has that Buffalo offense humming so far.

No doubt. Some of us wanted it.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And they let their best WR and how many other quality veterans go due to cap reasons? And that team now looks stronger than before.

Strong managed teams
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And they let their best WR and how many other quality veterans go due to cap reasons? And that team now looks stronger than before.

And they’re not even asking Allen to play Superman either. He’s currently 16th in passing yards. It’s a very well balanced offense right now. I don’t think you’d ever see that under Zac. He just doesn’t value the running game like that.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And they’re not even asking Allen to play Superman either. He’s currently 16th in passing yards. It’s a very well balanced offense right now. I don’t think you’d ever see that under Zac. He just doesn’t value the running game like that.

Yeah, let's not forget that football is played by actual people, Joe is not a droid back there with a machine gun arm. An effective offense needs to be balanced, and able to get those tough yards in the red zone.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just saw this stat: Last week Aaron Rodgers, who has 480 TD passes in his career (5th all-time), just threw his first TD to a WR drafted in the first round, Garrett Wilson. THAT's throwing the ball to anyone.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 03:55 PM)J24 Wrote: So in essence do you want Chase at 160 or Tee at 90 + a new 3T, + a new NT, + a 1st rd pick , and a 2nd Rd pick.

So in essence do you want Chase at 160 or Tee at 90 + a new 3T, + a new NT, + another Dax Hill , and Jackson Carman?

You made this comment as if we traded personnel departments with KC, we didnt, there is zero reason to trust Duke and his minuscule team.
Determinator of Takes
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't do it either but we would probably get some comp pick. That would be because whatever team we were being the farm team for would take those guys and go far with them. 

The really funny part would be when we get like a 7th after they both have 1000+ yard 10 TD seasons somewhere else. Not haha funny tho.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2024, 03:55 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes; we should trade him. No, we should not just let him walk in free agency.

Chase is about to get a 4 year, 160 million dollar deal, and with 120 Million in guaranteed money. If you sign him to that deal; then we can kiss signing any other legit players to long term deals in free agency.

On the other hand if you sign Tee to a 3 year, 90 Million dollar deal, and 60 million guaranteed money. You probably could fit 1 or 2  more players who have decent contracts onto the team.

So in essence do you want Chase at 160 or Tee at 90 + a new 3T, + a new NT, + a 1st rd pick , and a 2nd Rd pick.

You completely lost me at paying Tee $30 mil a year.

No player is untradable, imo.  But I need 2 1st's to even consider moving Chase.

So, trading Chase for less than his value because you don't want to pay him what he's worth and then being forced to resign Tee for half again what he's worth because our WR corps will be in such bad shape really doesn't make sense at all.
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 03:47 AM)casear2727 Wrote: So in essence do you want Chase at 160 or Tee at 90 + a new 3T, + a new NT, + another Dax Hill , and Jackson Carman?

You made this comment as if we traded personnel departments with KC, we didnt, there is zero reason to trust Duke and his minuscule team.

"I can lead a horse to water but I can't make it drink the water"  IDK who said that but it is a good quote!

It's catch 22 on one hand you are giving up a great player and on the other hand signing him give you less flexibility. Either way the FO is going to have to hit on multiple draft picks for either plan to workout.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote