Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bengals need to suck it up, break the norm and make a damn trade
They won't be able to get a player in fast enough and ready enough to play significant snaps by the Ravens game Sunday at 1pm. If the Bengals go 1-4 they are alot closer to being Sellers than Buyers.

That's why I've been preaching the next 4 games before the Trade Deadline are important. If the Bengals are 2-6 going into week 9 vs the Raiders (3-5 would wait for the Raiders game outcome) they should be looking ot offload Tee Higgins for multiple day 2 picks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The dude's HC "liked" a tweet of him getting traded. 

In retrospect, it's looking like Adams should have been a little more careful of what he wished for. I mean, he could still be in Green Bay playing for a well managed team in front of some of the most beloving and rabid fans in the sport, being featured weekly on the fastest 3 minutes in sports each week. However, he insisted upon being the highest paid at his position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 08:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In retrospect, it's looking like Adams should have been a little more careful of what he wished for. I mean, he could still be in Green Bay playing for a well managed team in front of some of the most beloving and rabid fans in the sport, being featured weekly on the fastest 3 minutes in sports each week. However, he insisted upon being the highest paid at his position.

Apparently the Packers offered him more but he wanted to play for the Raiders.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-trading-davante-adams-to-raiders-wr-signing-5-year-141-25m-deal

Quote:Rapoport reported that Adams' agents confirmed the Packers offered the wideout more money than the contract he'll receive from the Raiders, but it was his lifelong dream to play for the Silver and Black.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
If we lose to the Ravens Sunday i think Tee should be on the table. Might as well try and get something better than a Comp pick for him. I know this will never happen with this FO!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 08:47 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Apparently the Packers offered him more but he wanted to play for the Raiders.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-trading-davante-adams-to-raiders-wr-signing-5-year-141-25m-deal

Wow, I was way off on that one. Even though it was his "dream" to play for the Raiders, I think that he still should have stayed with the Packers.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 09:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, I was way off on that one. Even though it was his "dream" to play for the Raiders, I think that he still should have stayed with the Packers.

I agree Green Bay would have probably been better for his career.  Also it seems his dream turned into a nightmare considering he want out now.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 09:23 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I agree Green Bay would have probably been better for his career.  Also it seems his dream turned into a nightmare considering he want out now.  

The irony of realizing your dream of getting traded to your favorite team, only to find yourself requesting to be traded from said favorite team just a few short years later..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bengals use the following philosophy, it seems:

- If doing just .500 or lower, don't trade because it won't make enough of a difference to get to the Super Bowl and we don't want to potentially spend extra $$ given the upcoming contracts we gotta pay.

- If doing well, no need to trade because the team is good enough.

The only scenario I see Bengals making a trade for is if a season-ending injury happens to a key piece and they are right there in the mix for the division lead at the trade deadline.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 12:55 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Duke is very reluctant to trade. He's mentioned multiple times that he's not in the business to make other teams better. Back in 2019, the team got calls about some of our vet players since our season was lost. Dunlap and Eifert were mentioned. The FO wouldn't budge and held onto them. I wouldn't expect to see a trade any time soon.

I'm not as anti-Tobin as some on here, but I HATED that quote (and I think Mike Brown said a similar thing). Making trades isn't about making OTHER teams better, it's about making YOUR team better. Who the eff cares if it also happens to make another team better?

The follow up question to Duke should've been, "Ok, you don't want to make other teams better, but how does it make the Bengals better to hold on to a player and then lose them in the offesason for nothing?"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One dude I would consider trading for is Kyle Pitts. It's just never really clicked for him in ATL even though he had 1,000 yeards his rookie season. This past week he had as many catches and yards as I did this past Sunday. Maybe Cousins wants a more polished TE such as Mikey G.

We have a better TE on the roster already. 

Pitts has looked awful. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What do we have to trade other than draft picks?

Why would we be buyers and not sellers?

We have the best backup QB in the league and a potential starter. You know Brian Callahan would love to have him on his roster. Just sayin. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 10:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We have the best backup QB in the league and a potential starter. You know Brian Callahan would love to have him on his roster. Just sayin. 

maybe we do..I would take 41 year old flacco in a hearbeat
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 10:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The defense? Yes, you are the only one who thinks they have seen this happen.

Having the 27th scoring defense after 4 weeks isn't just a "typical slow start". 

In 2023 we started out giving up 23.5 per week in the first 4, finished with the 21st scoring defense at 22.6.
In 2022 we started out giving up 17.5 per week in the first 4, finished with the 6th scoring defense at 20.1.
In 2021 we started out giving up 18.75 per week in the first 4, finished with the 17th scoring defense at 22.1.
In 2020 we started out giving up 24.75 per week in the first 4, finished with the 22nd scoring defense at 26.5.
In 2019 we started out giving up 27.5 per week in the first 4, finished with the 25th scoring defense at 26.3.

We've never vastly improved our season scoring defense compared to our first four games. Our best improvement was 2019 where it was the first year of installing the system, and that was just 1.2 points per game better. If we matched that this year that would put us at 24.8, or currently the 25th scoring defense in the NFL. That's not touching the fact that 3 of the 5 years we've actually gotten WORSE not better with the whole season, and those are significant decreases.

I stated the offense is getting better as they gel, not the defense.

The defense, I referenced would be getting better as they got healthier. 

Nice work on the stats addressing no point I was making or arguing.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 09:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The irony of realizing your dream of getting traded to your favorite team, only to find yourself requesting to be traded from said favorite team just a few short years later..

He went there to play with his college QB and friend who they jettisoned after one year.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know I know, but the Bengals don't make trades during the season (or ever, really).

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. A little urgency would go a long way here. If this organization has really "changed" the way that they operate (they haven't) then they need to suck it up and trade a pick or two for some defensive line help. They just have to.

Yes the defensive line is about to get a bit healthier, but it's still not good enough.

How about trading the Dolphins for Calais Cambell? He's had a pretty good year so far and surely it wouldn't take too much to pluck him away from the Dolphins and their tanking season. A cheap vet on a one year deal is about as good as we can ask for.

Do it front office. Make a damn move and salvage what was supposed to be a Super Bowl season before its too late.

Unless it a free we will do with what we have or get someone cheap that is without a team right now
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 05:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know I know, but the Bengals don't make trades during the season (or ever, really).

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. A little urgency would go a long way here. If this organization has really "changed" the way that they operate (they haven't) then they need to suck it up and trade a pick or two for some defensive line help. They just have to.

Yes the defensive line is about to get a bit healthier, but it's still not good enough.

How about trading the Dolphins for Calais Cambell? He's had a pretty good year so far and surely it wouldn't take too much to pluck him away from the Dolphins and their tanking season. A cheap vet on a one year deal is about as good as we can ask for.

Do it front office. Make a damn move and salvage what was supposed to be a Super Bowl season before its too late.

Here is the problem.  As per Collinsworth and others over the years, mid season NFL trades are not that easy to pull off.  

OK, Bengals could use help at DT and DB, but who is going to just hand Bengals a top DT or DB ?   

Who are Bengals going to trade in return.  Please don't suggest a bench player for a top starter.  Be realistic. 

It's easy to say make a trade, but this isn't the same as the baseball trade deadline and baseball town Cincinnati needs to know that. 

I hear there are injured players who may come back and help at DT and DB this season.  This may be where Bengals hopes to win some games will come from, Bengals returning from the injured list.  

I don't think that it's the Bengals who are opposed to trades.  It's just that NFL trade deadline is not as active as baseball trade deadline, never is, never will be. 

Also whoever you get has to fit the Salary Cap.  Baseball doesn't have to worry about that, but NFL teams do. 

NFL trades are fun for fans to talk about, but the reality is NFL trades are very hard to pull off during the season.  Now Bengals traded Carson Palmer sitting out for Draft Picks.  Raiders needed a QB, and were willing to give up future picks for Palmer who was refusing to play for Bengals.   So Bengals have made midseason trades, such as Paul Robinson for Charlie Joiner.  The problem is NFL midseason trades are very hard for owners to pull off. 

One type trade I'll never understand.  I've seen Reds trade players, but still have to pay Mega Millions in payroll to a player now with another team. To me that is just stupid.  The Raiders traded Carson Palmer to Arizona but still had to pay him.  How nice for Arizona, how stupid by the Raiders.  I'll never understand teams paying Mega Millions still to a player they traded as part of the trade, to me that is bad business, paying other teams players.  It drove The Raiders new owner and GM crazy when they saw how much the past owner was paying players like Palmer to play for other teams, and held back the new owners rebuilding plans until these awful contracts came off the books. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 10:30 AM)ERIC1 Wrote: maybe we do..I would take 41 year old flacco in a hearbeat

I'd take about anyone over Will Levis....lol

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

This would be the change we need to see to say we have truly turned the corner as a franchise.

The Chiefs make trades this time of year, at least they did pretty recently. Campbell is more of a pass rusher but I would be more than fine 
with a trade for him even at his age. We need a proven Nose Tackle the most as McKinnley is coming off injury and is only a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One dude I would consider trading for is Kyle Pitts. It's just never really clicked for him in ATL even though he had 1,000 yeards his rookie season. This past week he had as many catches and yards as I did this past Sunday. Maybe Cousins wants a more polished TE such as Mikey G.

Cousins is a pretty good QB and will throw the ball to whoever he sees open.  Im starting to wonder if maybe the issue isnt Pitts.  Sometimes we see a guy with all the physical tools and think there is no way he shouldnt be great when the reality is he is mediocre despite his physical tools.  Sometimes lottery picks dont live up to their hype.  Lets just be happy Atlanta took Pitts and not Chase.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 10:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We have a better TE on the roster already. 

Pitts has looked awful. 

We're allowed to have more than 1.

Of course he has, that's why he's affordable. It's not like he can't do it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote