Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unleash the Hammer
(10-02-2024, 11:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dude ran a 4.91 he would be a liability against Lamar.

And Henry, who is incredibly fast for a man his size. 
Reply/Quote
Since Taylor took over the Bengals, they are 4-7 against the Ravens, including the playoff game.
I don't think the Ravens are too worried about Zack Moss and Chase Brown, so it's up to the Bengals to figure out how to make them be worried.
I expect Van Noy and Oweh to be coming early and often in the pass rush, trying to force Burrow to misthrow or get sacked.
We might be seeing a heavy usage of the TEs for the Bengals this game.

Defensively, they might wanna try running a 3rd LB or 5th DL more often instead of 5 DBs.
The Ravens don't have a strong enough passing game to need 5 DBs that much.
Or maybe if using a 5th DB, go with Battle instead of a 3rd CB to give more thump. Battle can help out in the run game compared to an extra CB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 12:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And Henry, who is incredibly fast for a man his size. 

Once he gets going. Not initially. Even Hilton brought him down behind the line a number of times in the past. Like many times. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Defensively, they might wanna try running a 3rd LB or 5th DL more often instead of 5 DBs.

And given our DL depth, I'm thinking a 3rd LB is our best shot. A downhill thumper that can force Henry outside at worse. Snuff him up the middle at best. 

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 11:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: There may be something to this. If you look at last year, in games where he ran for 19 times or more his average yards per carry dropped by almost two yards on average the following week. Obviously that didn't happen this year from week 3 to week 4, but if you remove his one 87 yard run that was essentially perfectly blocked you will see it did degrade from the previous week to last week by about 1.2 yards per carry.

(10-02-2024, 12:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not saying that he's old at 30, but he's not 24 anymore and the cumulative effect from such a high workload will take it's toll.

All true, not saying it will be this week against our Defense but Henry will wear down eventually. Being an NFL RB is hard no matter how 
you take care of your body and that many carries do take a toll for sure. All we have to do is keep him out of the End Zone honesty.

Make them kick FG's and we win this one IMO.
Reply/Quote
I thought he looked really good in the preseason. I'm not sure why he doesn't get some snaps, but it's not like he's a world beater. I'm not surprised that the coaches aren't giving him any snaps though. Considering how they've been with putting in people like Burton and even 2nd year players in battle.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 02:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I thought he looked really good in the preseason. I'm not sure why he doesn't get some snaps, but it's not like he's a world beater. I'm not surprised that the coaches aren't giving him any snaps though. Considering how they've been with putting in people like Burton and even 2nd year players in battle.

Lou loves this two lb scheme. He built his D to beat KC and Bills in the playoffs but not to survive the AFCN, or run heavy teams. 

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 02:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: Lou loves this two lb scheme. He built his D to beat KC and Bills in the playoffs but not to survive the AFCN, or run heavy teams. 

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

If we lose 6 division games stacked on our 3 losses already the season is over.

Lou switched to a nickel base defense when he got here the reason was, we did not have good enough linebackers he has had 5+ years to resolve this.

Heads will roll at the end of the season if we lose in the division again like last year. Most fans think New Orleans is our chance at winning that elusive Super Bowl win.

Don't screw this one up coaches.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 01:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: And given our DL depth, I'm thinking a 3rd LB is our best shot. A downhill thumper that can force Henry outside at worse. Snuff him up the middle at best. 

Maybe Njongmeta can do it, although I worry about his speed and agility. He might be able to fill inside but he'll get beat outside if Henry or Jackson runs to his side.
Njongmeta is a strictly-between-the-tackles kinda LB.

I'd almost rather try ADG or Battle first because they have more range and twitch and then only pivot to Njongmeta if things don't seem to be working.

When the Bengals go 3 LBs normally, isn't Wilson normally in the middle with ADG and Pratt outside?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
4-3 isn't some all proof run defense it's good in some situations and bad in others. The Ravens just manhandled the Bills heavy even front defense taking advantage of it in fact.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 12:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not saying that he's old at 30, but he's not 24 anymore and the cumulative effect from such a high workload will take it's toll.

age 30 in RB years in the NFL is like being age 45.  RB last an average of 3-4 years because of feeling like they were in automobile accidents each game they play for the year.  

Bengals have been solid years past against Henry, save maybe one game.  But then again, the Bengals D-Line is a turnstile this year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
With who they have healthy at the moment, I sure hope Lou has something cooked up that involves all hands on deck. Throw some pre snap looks at them we rarely have on tape, mix and match along the interior (Jenkins should see an increased role this week almost certainly) with personnel, use Battle on defense and disguise safety / NCB blitzes, allllllllll that good stuff! And regardless of what Lou may cook up, stopping the run is as much about attitude and effort as it is scheme and play calling. Some of these guys just need to get their heads outta their asses and GO MAKE THE PLAY!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 03:29 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: With who they have healthy at the moment, I sure hope Lou has something cooked up that involves all hands on deck. Throw some pre snap looks at them we rarely have on tape, mix and match along the interior (Jenkins should see an increased role this week almost certainly) with personnel, use Battle on defense and disguise safety / NCB blitzes, allllllllll that good stuff! And regardless of what Lou may cook up, stopping the run is as much about attitude and effort as it is scheme and play calling. Some of these guys just need to get their heads outta their asses and GO MAKE THE PLAY!

Nice post D.O.Z.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 12:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And Henry, who is incredibly fast for a man his size. 

Not just his size, but anyone semi-regularly carrying a football.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/derrick-henry-has-hit-20-mph-more-than-any-ball-carrier-other-than-tyreek-hill

(10-02-2024, 01:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Once he gets going. Not initially. Even Hilton brought him down behind the line a number of times in the past. Like many times. 

Now he has a 300lb FB and the added risk you have to account for of Lamar keeping it to run himself.

A slow as hell LB rookie UDFA linebacker would get eaten up against the Ravens.

[Image: joe-burrow.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2024, 11:46 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I sure hope the Bengals have a better wrinkle than playing a sub-par athlete, undrafted linebacker to slow down two former MVP candidates running the ball.

The Bengals need to score first and stay up...the Ravens play SO WELL with the lead!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 03:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: age 30 in RB years in the NFL is like being age 45.  RB last an average of 3-4 years because of feeling like they were in automobile accidents each game they play for the year.  

Bengals have been solid years past against Henry, save maybe one game.  But then again, the Bengals D-Line is a turnstile this year.  

Henry last year against the Bengals - 22 attempts for 122 yards and a TD.
He was contained pretty well the two years prior to that though.

Henry is already at 480 rushing yards and 5 TDs. He's on pace for right around 2000 yards if he can keep it up.
I doubt he will get close to that by season's end, but 1500+ is definitely feasible given what he's already done.

Henry might end up having his best year since his 2000+ yard season in 2020.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What did Burfict run again? Rey M? You don't have to be fast to do what we need a LB to do this game. You need to be physical and have no regards for your body. Charge downhill and blowup a full back, guard etc making sure the D don't get beat up the gut. Let them bounce outside. Leave the run stopping defensive ends and Wilson, Pratt, and the Safeties to defend the edge.

Pratt and Wilson while we praise them, can not and have not been able to stop the run. At all.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 05:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: What did Burfict run again? Rey M? You don't have to be fast to do what we need a LB to do this game. You need to be physical and have no regards for your body. Charge downhill and blowup a full back, guard etc making sure the D don't get beat up the gut. Let them bounce outside. Leave the run stopping defensive ends and Wilson, Pratt, and the Safeties to defend the edge.

Pratt and Wilson while we praise them, can not and have not been able to stop the run. At all.

Neither were great in coverage to begin with, and neither would be able to be trusted with Lamar Jackson on the field. (Also Burfict ran his high and out of shape.)

Burfict was only around for 1 Lamar game and Lamar ran the ball 26 of the Ravens 53 times that game. As soon as running QBs commonly became a thing and the proliferation of fast RBs and TEs catching the ball became a thing, slow 250-260lb LBs stopped being a thing.

I still remember the Texans throwing to a RB that was running across the field on like 7 straight plays with Maualuga distantly trailing in coverage trying to keep up. They both would have been great LBs a decade before they entered the NFL.

Njongmeta isn't even a big slow 250-260lb bruising LB, he's just a slow 229lb LB. Would love to be wrong about him, but not holding my breath on him being some secret weapon/answer.

[Image: joe-burrow.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 05:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  
Burfict was only around for 1 Lamar game and Lamar ran the ball 26 of the Ravens 53 times that game.  

That's an interesting nugget. I didn't realize they overlapped. Either Lamar has been around longer than I realized, or Burfict hasn't been gone as long as I thought. 

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2024, 05:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Neither were great in coverage to begin with, and neither would be able to be trusted with Lamar Jackson on the field. (Also Burfict ran his high and out of shape.)

Burfict was only around for 1 Lamar game and Lamar ran the ball 26 of the Ravens 53 times that game. As soon as running QBs commonly became a thing and the proliferation of fast RBs and TEs catching the ball became a thing, slow 250-260lb LBs stopped being a thing.

I still remember the Texans throwing to a RB that was running across the field on like 7 straight plays with Maualuga distantly trailing in coverage trying to keep up. They both would have been great RBs a decade before they entered the NFL.

Njongmeta isn't even a big slow 250-260lb bruising LB, he's just a slow 229lb LB. Would love to be wrong about him, but not holding my breath on him being some secret weapon/answer.

Njongmeta showed some promise in the preseason, which is why he made the roster.
If he really does have or can build good enough instincts, that can help compensate for his lack of athleticism.

I'm willing to try him out there for certain situations or a handful of snaps, but I'm pulling the plug quickly if he clearly gets beat with speed/agility, ends up in bad positioning, or gets trucked over by Henry due to his lack of size compared to Henry coming at full steam. Henry embarrasses most LBs and DBs nowadays.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote