Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I think its officially time we declare Ossai a bust.
I had such high hopes for this guy early in his career here but man last season and so far this season he has been invisible.  Its very puzzling because year 2 (which was his defacto rookie season due to injury) he looked good.  I hope he proves me wrong but so far this season his PFF grade is 51.3  Sick

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Reverse jinx. I like it. Worked with my Dax thread. Ninja

Ossai did actually have a good game against Carolina.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 12:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Reverse jinx. I like it. Worked with my Dax thread. Ninja

Ossai did actually have a good game against Carolina.

I would love nothing more then for this thread to age terribly.  God knows we could use another disruptor poor Trey is putting the entire defense on his back every Sunday. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Dude was taken for his athleticism but was not overly proven as a sack artist in college.
Plus, he was converting from LB to DE when joining the Bengals. And when I say LB, I mean originally ILB who then moved to OLB later in college.

There was definitely stuff to like to be worth taking in the middle rounds, but there were known things he needed to adapt and grow in.

Unfortunately, we're in his 4th year and he's still just a rotational piece who can't put together 4+ sacks in a season.

It's time to get another DE next offseason to replace him, as they'll need another DE eventually anyway to take over Hendrickson and Hubbard in a couple years who can play opposite Murphy.
If the Bengals get a pass rushing DT early, I'm cool with waiting on a DE into the middle rounds.
But if the team prefers to have their edge guys be more of the edge rushers (which it seems they do), it might be worthwhile to take one in 1st or 2nd round and wait until Rds 3-4 for a DT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 12:12 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I would love nothing more then for this thread to age terribly.  God knows we could use another disruptor poor Trey is putting the entire defense on his back every Sunday. 

Or on his neck even
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It was a decent mid round gamble....it didn't pay out. Time to move on.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
There are alot of questions that need to be answered about the Defensive Line by the end of the year. BJ Hill, Cam Sample, Joseph Ossai, Jay Tufele are all free agents. Zach Carter and Sheldon Rankins are easy cuts money wise. The starting DEs are both aging and still need to see snaps from Murphy, Jackson, and yes even Jenkins.

Defensive Line rebuild coming soon.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
He looked like a complete fool against the Commanders.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I don't know if you can call a 3rd round pick a bust. But Ossai seems destined to go down in Bengals history along with Jeremy Hill and Lewis Billups.
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 10:48 AM)Synric Wrote: There are alot of questions that need to be answered about the Defensive Line by the end of the year. BJ Hill, Cam Sample, Joseph Ossai, Jay Tufele are all free agents. Zach Carter and Sheldon Rankins are easy cuts money wise. The starting DEs are both aging and still need to see snaps from Murphy, Jackson, and yes even Jenkins.

Defensive Line rebuild coming soon.

May also have to evaluate if Marion Hobby is the guy to coach up DL.
He's only seemed to have been able to get something out of dudes either already proven (Hendrickson, Reader, Ogunjobi) or guys who were already here before he came in (Hubbard). Hill showed quality play as a rotational guy in 2021 but he's not taken that next leap after becoming the starter.

He's been the DL coach since 2021, so he's been somewhat involved and responsible for the selection and (lack of) development of:
Ossai
Shelvin
Hubert
Sample
Carter
Murphy
Jenkins
Jackson
Johnson

That's quite a lot invested in 4 drafts at one area, especially with very little to show for it through 4 games into 2024.
Only Murphy and Jenkins have shown sparks, Sample is just ok, and the rest are bad or unknown.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: May also have to evaluate if Marion Hobby is the guy to coach up DL.
He's only seemed to have been able to get something out of dudes either already proven (Hendrickson, Reader, Ogunjobi) or guys who were already here before he came in (Hubbard). Hill showed quality play as a rotational guy in 2021 but he's not taken that next leap after becoming the starter.

He's been the DL coach since 2021, so he's been somewhat involved and responsible for the selection and (lack of) development of:
Ossai
Shelvin
Hubert
Sample
Carter
Murphy
Jenkins
Jackson
Johnson

That's quite a lot invested in 4 drafts at one area, especially with very little to show for it through 4 games into 2024.
Only Murphy and Jenkins have shown sparks, Sample is just ok, and the rest are bad or unknown.

While I agree that Hobby should have his coaching style/technique called into question, I also look at the DL the same as I view the OL when it comes to softer practices, training camps and preseason game reps: They need that contact to temper the body, they need those reps to get used to playing as a unit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 11:40 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Yeah I don't know if you can call a 3rd round pick a bust.  But Ossai seems destined to go down in Bengals history along with Jeremy Hill and Lewis Billups.

Jeremy Hill was the ultimate example of a guy coming into a season and exiting a season with polar opposite perceptions.  Going into 2015 the idea was that this offense needed to be built around him to the point where people suggested we turn Gio into a WR of sorts so Marvin wouldn't be tempted to do anything crazy like run the ball with him.

After a few games of "If he's doing great, call more runs...if he's not doing great, call more runs and he'll start doing great" we eventually ended the year with the conclusion that handing Hill the ball was begging for disaster.  Chef's kiss on that season from a hyperbolic insanity perspective.  
Reply/Quote
I remember telling people it was time to move on from Hill after he cost us that Steeler game and being openly mocked.

Don't try to blame the defense. They played their ass off and has no business being on the field that last drive.
Reply/Quote
If they wanted to move on from Ossai they would have kept KJ Henry on the roster.  They chose a player on an expiring contract who has had multiple opportunities over a younger player who plays for the league minimum and would be an ERFA after this season.
Reply/Quote
they cant draft d-line for crap. They also have a problem with drafting o-line. They need to fix the way they scout the trenches

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 02:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: they cant draft d-line for crap. They also have a problem with drafting o-line. They need to fix the way they scout the trenches

Starting with hiring.... Checks notes.... Scouts.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Should have been gone the second he got off the plane from KC a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 02:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: they cant draft d-line for crap. They also have a problem with drafting o-line. They need to fix the way they scout the trenches

With Jenkins, Bengals reverted to the only formula they know of drafting D-Line prospects which has worked - blood lines. Lets see if he follows Geathers and Atkins. 
Reply/Quote
To me for him not to be a bust he’d need 5-7 sacks a year and he’d have to be plus as a run defender because that was supposed to be his main thing

Seeing as he’s invisible most games rushing the passer and only average defending the run, I’d have to agree he’s a bust
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Sadly his disappearance kinda matches up with that hit on Mahommes that cost us the playoff game

I haven’t really seen him make a super great play since then
-Housh
Reply/Quote