Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds hiring Francona
Terry Francona will be the next Reds Manager. No details on the deal yet.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/41597289/cincinnati-reds-hiring-terry-francona-manager-sources-say
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Francona's contract is a three-year deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Awesome !! Lets hope he can straighten this mess up.
Reply/Quote
I like the hire since he's a proven manager. Let's hope they continue to provide him with talented ball players.
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 08:18 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Francona's contract is a three-year deal.

With an option for a 4th year.

Reply/Quote
Out
F***ing
Standing.

Great comment by a viewer on Locked On Reds . . . "We went from Jar Jar Binks to Qui Gon Jin".

After suffering through 11 seasons of Brian Price and then Dumb Bell, we deserve a real manager. Nick Krall out here tryna save his job 'n shit.

My current lasting memory of Dumb Bell is his legacy of runners on second and third with no outs and still winding up with no runs scored.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 11:51 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Out
F***ing
Standing.

Great comment by a viewer on Locked On Reds . . . "We went from Jar Jar Binks to Qui Gon Jin".

After suffering through 11 seasons of Brian Price and then Dumb Bell, we deserve a real manager. Nick Krall out here tryna save his job 'n shit.

My current lasting memory of Dumb Bell is his legacy of runners on second and third with no outs and still winding up with no runs scored.

For sure

I'm remember this being discussed a few years back and I don't remember the exact stats but something like - runner on 3rd no outs the run scores like 85% of the time. Runner on 3rd 1 out score like 70% of the time, on and on. 

And I'm quite sure we're way under that.
Reply/Quote
Let's hope his tenure as a Reds manager goes better than his playing career with the Reds.  Hilarious

[Image: francona-baseball.gif]
Reply/Quote
Press conference is Monday at 10 AM
Reply/Quote
I was shocked when I heard the news last night. Tito wasn't even on my radar because I didn't think he was a realistic option.

India said they needed to get someone that will bring accountability...and they certainly did. Props to Krall and the Reds.
Reply/Quote
I thought he was the best possible option. I also thought it was an extreme long shot.

Absolutely outstanding hire. I dreaded another first time manager or nepotism hire.

Hopefully this hire indicates that the team will be a bit more aggressive in filling the remaining holes they have in trades and free agency. I doubt Francona was going to risk tanking his HOF resume to take a job with an organization that wouldn't provide him with the parts he needs.
Reply/Quote
Funny it's still a former-Red, but honestly I like this hiring a lot more than a lot of the other possibilities I saw.

Now we need to actually get a FO to put together a decent team for him to manage.

[Image: joe-burrow.gif]
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 12:04 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Terry Francona will be the next Reds Manager. No details on the deal yet.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/41597289/cincinnati-reds-hiring-terry-francona-manager-sources-say

I know I said Barry Larkin, but Terry Francona is a GREAT manager.  He won with Boston Red Sox for first time in 100 years.  Then he had Cleveland playing good ball.  That he's won a Word Series, this is like when Detroit got our Sparky Anderson.  

I'm very EXCITED that Reds are bringing in Terry Francona, because he is one of the best managers ever in baseball.  It makes more sense dumping Bell.  If you can bring in a Terry Francona, you don't pass that up.  What he did with Boston and Cleveland was amazing, and he will WIN with Cincinnati.  People thought Dusty was good, wait until they see Francona.  This will be the best Reds manager since Sparky or Lou. 

I will say playing organized baseball as a teenager.   Out of my 3 years, my 2nd year was my only good year.  In my old age, I know why now.  The manager my 1st and 3rd years weren't very good, they goofed off a lot.  My manager my second year had us practice twice as much.  He showed me how to step into the ball.  He took one kid who had never pitched, and made him a great pitcher.  That the manager put so much work into the team made me and others better.  Now the star players were good regardless of the manager, but the manager my 2nd year got the most out of everybody. He got me stepping into the ball and a better hitter.   So I know the difference a good manager can make, and so I'm VERY EXCITED the World Series Winner Manager Terry Francona is coming.  He will be on these players showing them things in Arizona, but the Reds will be a better team for it.  Even these Pros can be better, certainly the losing Reds need to learn things to be better. 

I'm sure everybody's had a gym coach or coach or drill instructor that you look back on and say that coach got you in the best shape of your life.  Terry Francona is THAT GUY....Boston loses for 100  years until Francona.  Heck Yes, get him on The Reds. 

GO REDS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Stoked on this hire. I hope it took promises to aggressively fill the holes we have and the ability to fill out his own staff, to get him to come out of retirement. If any current coaches are retained, I hope it’s Tito making those choices.
Reply/Quote
I am dumb founded and thrilled.

The manager selection itself is great, but not the thing I'm most excited about.

Terry Francona is a 2 time world series winning coach who is likely a hall of famer who retired from a very successful team due to a medical issue just last year.

This is not a man who would come to Cincinnati to just pray the young players, many with less than 1 full season under their belts, will magically develop into an all star laden playoff team.

This hiring is an indication that this off season is going to be a good one. They likely told him they were planning on spending X million more dollars this season which they expect to fill these voids with this quality player and he obviously liked their proposal enough to sign on.

I personally hope we can go out and get a power bat for the outfield, a good 5th starter (to go along with Greene, Lodolo, Lowder and Abbott) and a good bullpen arm at the least.

My targets would be Anthony Santander (Soon to be 30 year old switch hitting outfielder who has hit 44 home runs this season and has an OPS+ of 134 this year and 120 or more every year since 2021) for the outfield.

For a starting pitcher, they'll likely need to re-sign Martinez, as he will likely opt out of his 12M player option. So if they could re-sign him, that would be a way of hitting both the bullpen and the starting rotation.

If the Reds really want to blow my socks off, they could sign Corbin Burnes as well Tongue.

And then they could sift through the market and sign either another quality bullpen arm or another 4/5 starter, depending on what the market looks like.

I'm not sure if Jakub Junis will opt out of his option, but if he does I'd like to sign him back too.
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 11:15 PM)CJD Wrote: I am dumb founded and thrilled.

The manager selection itself is great, but not the thing I'm most excited about.

Terry Francona is a 2 time world series winning coach who is likely a hall of famer who retired from a very successful team due to a medical issue just last year.

This is not a man who would come to Cincinnati to just pray the young players, many with less than 1 full season under their belts, will magically develop into an all star laden playoff team.

This hiring is an indication that this off season is going to be a good one. They likely told him they were planning on spending X million more dollars this season which they expect to fill these voids with this quality player and he obviously liked their proposal enough to sign on.

I personally hope we can go out and get a power bat for the outfield, a good 5th starter (to go along with Greene, Lodolo, Lowder and Abbott) and a good bullpen arm at the least.

My targets would be Anthony Santander (Soon to be 30 year old switch hitting outfielder who has hit 44 home runs this season and has an OPS+ of 134 this year and 120 or more every year since 2021) for the outfield.

For a starting pitcher, they'll likely need to re-sign Martinez, as he will likely opt out of his 12M player option. So if they could re-sign him, that would be a way of hitting both the bullpen and the starting rotation.

If the Reds really want to blow my socks off, they could sign Corbin Burnes as well Tongue.

And then they could sift through the market and sign either another quality bullpen arm or another 4/5 starter, depending on what the market looks like.

I'm not sure if Jakub Junis will opt out of his option, but if he does I'd like to sign him back too.

That's what I'm thinking, hoping, praying as well.

Perhaps they've realized our window for opportunity is very small. Before all the guys that do develop are off the LA and NY.

IMHO, they have to have a top notch starting pitcher. Relying on "our gang" just doesn't fill me with hope. They need a top notch RH bat and a real closer, Diaz is just to inconsistent.

They better strike while the iron is hot!
Reply/Quote