Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Geno Stone think Free safety means you don’t get involved in any plays unless…
It’s to miss tackles?

When do you EVER see Geno Stone near a play? Like close enough to where he could’ve made a play?

NEVER
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Safety play has been, uhhh, really, really, really bad. Stone always seems to be in the wrong place and Bell looks really slow. Battle not getting much PT is not encouraging.
Reply/Quote
I've ALWAYS asserted CTB should be a FS. Not sure how bad Dax injury is, Dax and DJ on the boundry and let the ballhawk who's suspect on man to man coverage play Centerfield
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2024, 06:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've ALWAYS asserted CTB should be a FS. Not sure how bad Dax injury is, Dax and DJ on the boundry and let the ballhawk who's suspect on man to man coverage play Centerfield

Not seeing good things on the DAX injury.  Probably likely he's out for awhile, if not the season.  Sucks
Reply/Quote
I'm not a PFF grades fan but this fits. Geno Stone has been terrible I didn't expect him to be a great run defender but his pattern recognition in coverage has been slow as shit. Intelligence and Instincts were what he was signed for and we are seeing neither.

Its been two years since Jessie Bates left and the Bengals have had 3 of the worst post safeties in the NFL over that span.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Who evaluates and brings these guys in? Did we watch any tape on these guys last year? Vonn Bell, Nick Scott, Geno Stone...like just complete swings and misses.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 08:56 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm not a PFF grades fan but this fits. Geno Stone has been terrible I didn't expect him to be a great run defender but his pattern recognition in coverage has been slow as shit. Intelligence and Instincts were what he was signed for and we are seeing neither.

Its been two years since Jessie Bates left and the Bengals have had 3 of the worst post safeties in the NFL over that span.

Seems that Stone's INT numbers from Baltimore were a product of their pass rush forcing errant throws moreso than of his own impetus.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 09:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems that Stone's INT numbers from Baltimore were a product of their pass rush forcing errant throws moreso than of his own impetus.

He played on a defense with awesome corners, other awesome safties, and a good defensive line. He wasn't asked to do much. Same thing with Nick Scott. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2024, 06:28 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Not seeing good things on the DAX injury.  Probably likely he's out for awhile, if not the season.  Sucks

I think it's been said he's definitely out for the season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 09:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Who evaluates and brings these guys in? Did we watch any tape on these guys last year? Vonn Bell, Nick Scott, Geno Stone...like just complete swings and misses.

I was talking about Daxton Hill, Nick Scott, and Geno Stone. Terrible post safety play.

Vonn Bell has definitely been up and down especially as a run defender which used to be really good at. Jordan Battle might improve in the run defense part (Battle run stops as a box safety with a small area of responsibility was why his PFF grade was so high) but he is still a slow coverage safety.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The Bates curse. They are going to waste so much money trying to replace him they might as well have paid him.

I expect the room to be made over again this offseason.

Reply/Quote
I'm being overtly petty with this post, but in the last game there was a moment where Stone did this diving tackle at Lamar and missed. As he got up, Stone had this look of either astonishment or amusement at what happened. It appeared he was giving a nod of respect to his buddy Lamar for the juke. I acknowledge, this is just my interpretation so nobody needs to reply telling me the obvious that I have no idea what Stone was thinking or feeling. Anyhow, my perception that Stone was the amused Bengal at getting owned by Lamar the Raven gave me 1990s Bungles vibes.

To be fair to the organization, didn't the national media respect the Stone signing? Of course, who cares what the national media thinks. We should want scouts and a GM making good decisions, but we mostly just have Duke with input from coaches.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 09:33 AM)Synric Wrote: I was talking about Daxton Hill, Nick Scott, and Geno Stone. Terrible post safety play.

Vonn Bell has definitely been up and down especially as a run defender which used to be really good at. Jordan Battle might improve in the run defense part (Battle run stops as a box safety with a small area of responsibility was why his PFF grade was so high) but he is still a slow coverage safety.

Battle isn't the answer or they would have played him by now. 

This team is asking the safties to do a TON with all the single high they are running. I just don't think Battle is ready and I think Stone is having a really hard time with it himself. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 08:56 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm not a PFF grades fan but this fits. Geno Stone has been terrible I didn't expect him to be a great run defender but his pattern recognition in coverage has been slow as shit. Intelligence and Instincts were what he was signed for and we are seeing neither.

Looks like I'm not the only one who thought Hill to Stone was actually a downgrade (so far).
Anarumo needs a true center fielder rangy safety for his defense.
Unfortunately, there are few of those, and Bates was one of them.
Stone ain't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 09:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Battle isn't the answer or they would have played him by now. 

This team is asking the safties to do a TON with all the single high they are running. I just don't think Battle is ready and I think Stone is having a really hard time with it himself. 

Battle looked worse than Stone in his snaps Sunday.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 09:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: Battle looked worse than Stone in his snaps Sunday.

Yeah, again he'd be playing if the coaches (who watch these guys in practice every day and who actually know ball) thought as highly of him as some of us fans do. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals clearly made a mistake with Bates.
The drop off of the defense after he left is obvious.

Kinda sucks but it is what it is.
I keep saying this but they need to learn from their mistakes.
We don’t see the ravens, chiefs, or Steelers making these kinds of personnel mistakes.

Bengals will have to win with offense and try to find a pass rush somehow to make up for the issues on the back end.
If they get healthy at DT maybe they improve.
I think the secondary can improve as there are a lot of young players back there, learning.
Bates would have been a good glue to hold it all together but maybe Stone can improve as he’s young.
They do have Vonn bell and Hilton and CTB.
It’s possible they improve late in the year.

It is what it is.
They screwed up, again.
No point crying about it.

On the plus side I have burrow, chase, chase brown, Higgins, and Zach moss in fantasy.
I’m excited for the challenge the offense has of carrying the team.
Maybe they can finally become an unstoppable force and lead the team.
Reply/Quote
You guys are blaming everything on Bates, but i'd argue the loss of Reader and the decline of Hubbard are contributing to it just as much. When you can't stop the run with a light box and have to continually play single high safety, you are going to have issues.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 10:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You guys are blaming everything on Bates, but i'd argue the loss of Reader and the decline of Hubbard are contributing to it just as much. When you can't stop the run with a light box and have to continually play single high safety, you are going to have issues.

Bengals ran heavy cover 1 and cover 3 even with DJ Reader. They have been top 5 in cover 1 over the last 4 or 5 years now. Which made letting Jessie Bates walk such a weird move. 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 09:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He played on a defense with awesome corners, other awesome safties, and a good defensive line. He wasn't asked to do much. Same thing with Nick Scott. 

This excactly how I was thinking when they signed him and Balt let him go no problem
Reply/Quote