Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bring Back Robbins
I cant seem to find the post in which JJ called for replacing Huber when he couldn't put down a high snap which resulted in a missed a short kick in OT vs the Steelers, which would have won the game...?  Im sure it exists, right?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So far this year in 5 games.

11 kickers have missed an XP.
1 kicker has missed 2 XP. 
14 kickers have missed at least 2 FG. 
4 kickers have missed 3 or more FG. 
19 kickers have missed at least once from 50+.

Money's percentage is due to the low number of attempts. 
9 out of 11 is 81.8%
15 out of 17 is 88.2%. 

Big difference. It's not a problem yet. He's missed exactly 5 FG in every year of his career so far. 

Stop it.

I don't care about other kickers just like I don't care about the worst QB's in the league stats when talking about Bengals QB. 

And in 2023 a lot of his misses were from 55+ out. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Missed kicks happen, and for a variety of reasons. Mac is just under 84% on FGs thus far in his career, and 95% on XPs, that's pretty damn good. Even Justin Tucker, likely to go down as the greatest kicker in NFL history is still under 90% on FGs throughout his career, and my hat is off to him for being nearly 99% on XPs in his lifetime. So banging on McPherson for a miss or two is just blowing wind.

Hopefully you aren't talking about me banging on McPherson for the misses which I haven't. But I know how my words get twisted around here so I'm sure by the end of this threat folks will be saying I'm slamming McPherson (who I am defending). 

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals have had some pretty good punters over the years, but I haven't seen anyone booming them like Rehkow does since the days of the great Ray Guy for the Raiders.

Leads the league by 3.2yds in gross and 3.5yds in net. That's huge. Difference between #2 and #3 in gross is .5yds and net is .6yds

That's a difference of 3+ yds in both when the typical lead above the next guy is .2 to .6 yards.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals have had some pretty good punters over the years, but I haven't seen anyone booming them like Rehkow does since the days of the great Ray Guy for the Raiders.

Rehkow confirmed for 2nd greatest punter to ever play according to sunset

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:45 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I cant seem to find the post in which JJ called for replacing Huber when he couldn't put down a high snap which resulted in a missed a short kick in OT vs the Steelers, which would have won the game...?  Im sure it exists, right?

Huber was an excellent holder. Well established by then. 

Now if he was an Undrafted rookie and our star kicker had missed kicks we needed in games we could have won in the midst of a 1-4 start. Then I sure would have brought the issue up for discussion. You are right about that.

Reply/Quote
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b95261gl3vkmvphlbassky8...w.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't care about other kickers just like I don't care about the worst QB's in the league stats when talking about Bengals QB. 

And in 2023 a lot of his misses were from 55+ out. 

You don't care about how your kicker is doing in relation to the rest of the league. 

That makes a lot of sense. Wait, no it doesn't. If those stats don't show you that there is no need for worry right now--especially enough to make a change--you have some real issues somewhere and i'm not a clinical psychologist that could diagnose it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The question is why are you guys so into punts? Punt discussions are for struggling, pitiful team fans who want and need the top punter in the league because well.... they'll be punting and needing the field to be flipped all game. 

Kicking snap/hold operations that lead to actual points that make difference in 1 score games are far more important for us.

Robbins was never drafted for his leg. He was drafted because they thought they had the offense they have now. And with their ability to score or get into FG range every drive, yall holding dear to a big leg punter is a wasted resource if it means a shaky kicking operation, career lows from our star kicker, and holding your breath in game winning FG attempts.

If we punt we should be punting from around the 45 at worst. and those kicks will fall where they need to with Robbins. Now can he flip the field no. But you don't build a team around a punter. You build an offense that makes punting a moot point. Which we have.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Rehkow confirmed for 2nd greatest punter to ever play according to sunset

Eh, let's just hope that he can get this holding for place kicks down. The guy is a fantastic punter, though.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: The question is why are you guys so into punts?

Field position matters in the NFL game. Punting controls field position. Even simple minded fans like me who didn't play football, coach, or have meaningful involvement with the game at any level can understanding why the punting game matters.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: The question is why are you guys so into punts? Punt discussions are for struggling, pitiful team fans who want and need the top punter in the league because well.... they'll be punting and needing the field to be flipped all game. 

Kicking snap/hold operations that lead to actual points that make difference in 1 score games are far more important for us.

Robbins was never drafted for his leg. He was drafted because they thought they had the offense they have now. And with their ability to score or get into FG range every drive, yall holding dear to a big leg punter is a wasted resource if it means a shaky kicking operation, career lows from our star kicker, and holding your breath in game winning FG attempts.

If we punt we should be punting from around the 45 at worst. and those kicks will fall where they need to with Robbins. Now can he flip the field no. But you don't build a team around a punter. You build an offense that makes punting a moot point. Which we have.

Because sometimes the punter is a weapon, as evidenced by killing the ball at the 2 yard line ended up in the Bengals scoring a Safety and getting the ball back, just a few plays later.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ok so if I'm wrong and punting is a key piece to teams with offensive powerhouses. I'll accept that. Curious to see what the punters from the top offensive teams in the SB era was ranked.

I know they had top kickers. 

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:58 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Field position matters in the NFL game. Punting controls field position. Even simple minded fans like me who didn't play football, coach, or have meaningful involvement with the game at any level can understanding why the punting game matters.

It does for poor offenses. Yes. I've already acknowledged their need to flip the field so taking a shot at me for I guess not understanding that when I never said it didn't matter is par the course, but equally lame nevertheless. 

Bengals are scoring on damn near every drive. We have a legitimate shot of punting once per game. Once. 

Just because something is great, doesn't mean you actually need it. Especially at the expense of a more important need. 

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: The question is why are you guys so into punts?

[Image: Screenshot-2024-10-10-at-12-37-49-PM.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 01:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: [Image: Screenshot-2024-10-10-at-12-37-49-PM.png]

I can assure you KC, Baltimore or any other high flying offenses in the past or present don't have fans feeling so attached to a punter. Is that in the book? Cause just a quick glance at the cliff notes and punting, and field flipping is under the defense tactics for poor offenses chapter. Under the how to win a defensive struggle paragraph. 

Which we aren't trying to win defensive stuggles. We are trying to win shootouts. But maybe you Burrow haters don't have the faith in him as I do. I recognize his ability to at least get to mid field every drive. 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2024, 11:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re having quite a day.

Yes sir lol

Rehkow is like the best Punter we have had since Huber, cannot punish him forever for one terrible mistake on a hold.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 12:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: The question is why are you guys so into punts? Punt discussions are for struggling, pitiful team fans who want and need the top punter in the league because well.... they'll be punting and needing the field to be flipped all game. 

Probably the same reason the 2x defending champs went out and signed Matt Araiza. Because being able to flip field position is a real weapon. And it’s ridiculous to suggest it’s not important just because the offense is good. There are going to be times when you need it. Hope this helps.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 01:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Probably the same reason the 2x defending champs went out and signed Matt Araiza. Because being able to flip field position is a real weapon. And it’s ridiculous to suggest it’s not important just because the offense is good. There are going to be times when you need it. Hope this helps.

Your lack of faith in a Burrow led offense is telling. 

And where does Araiza rank (that is a true questions cause I was a fan of his)?

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 01:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: Your lack of faith in a Burrow led offense is telling. 

You have really gone off the deep end the last couple days. Even The Greatest Show on Turf had to punt 60x the year they won the Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote