Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Of course we chose Jonah
This was all Tobin. This draft felt rushed given the coaching staff was late getting in and hadn’t been familiar with the roster. And you know how they need they coaches to scout. 

The draft a crapshoot but you hate to miss out on a run like this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Roster plans, player acquisition and draft are multi-year approach. Taylor was brought in to develop a QB and the target was Daniel Jones in 2019. When that didn't work out, then target was Tua in 2020, possibly Herbert.

Haskins was there at 11, but Bengals passed on him. So LT to protect the 2020 QB was the choice, and Jonah was viewed as the best in a weak class for OL (Jonah, Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Dalton Risner, Max Scharping, etc.).

Then we tanked 2019 for Tua - which Burrow ruined. 

We could have had Tua-to-Tee show in Cincy. That sounds catchy - pun intended of course.
Reply/Quote
This is all so "hindsightism" Jonah was one of if not the #1 draft prospects, and we were sorely in need of an OT. It was a no brainer. To sit back now and criticize the pick with hindsight is just lame.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is all so "hindsightism" Jonah was one of if not the #1 draft prospects, and we were sorely in need of an OT. It was a no brainer. To sit back now and criticize the pick with hindsight is just lame.

Webster's Dictionary defines hindsightism as NOT a word. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is all so "hindsightism" Jonah was one of if not the #1 draft prospects, and we were sorely in need of an OT. It was a no brainer. To sit back now and criticize the pick with hindsight is just lame.

I'd agree with your point if applied to most NFL organizations, but this is the Mike Brown Bengals we are discussing. Things were so bad with the team that they could land both Burrow and Chase in the draft. Both those players contributed to the successful AFC Championship and Super Bowl run. Remove those two guys from the equation and the Duke/Zac era has had more failures than success when drafting.

The pick didn't work out so the criticism is fair.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 11:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd agree with your point if applied to most NFL organizations, but this is the Mike Brown Bengals we are discussing. Things were so bad with the team that they could land both Burrow and Chase in the draft. Both those players contributed to the successful AFC Championship and Super Bowl run. Remove those two guys from the equation and the Duke/Zac era has had more failures than success when drafting.

Look at the defense in 2021. That defense was mainly built on free agency. Trey, BJ Hill, Ogunjobi, Reader, Awuzie, Apple, Bell, Hilton..

Duke and his staff are below average at drafting. Now that all these free agents are gone, you’re left with the Duke draft picks. None of them are game changers. I like wilson and pratt like everyone else, but they aren’t game changers

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
well at least he hasnt been run over on a Miami freeway, right? that's positive!!!

I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 04:57 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: There was a documentary that came out with Belichik and Saban talking during, I think a Bama pro day and one or the other said they thought Jonah was the best prospect in the entire draft. That was cool for a minute.

I hated the Jonah pick. His #1 trait was "cerebral" & "studies film". That's trash.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 10:20 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Roster plans, player acquisition and draft are multi-year approach. Taylor was brought in to develop a QB and the target was Daniel Jones in 2019. When that didn't work out, then target was Tua in 2020, possibly Herbert.

Haskins was there at 11, but Bengals passed on him. So LT to protect the 2020 QB was the choice, and Jonah was viewed as the best in a weak class for OL (Jonah, Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Dalton Risner, Max Scharping, etc.).

Then we tanked 2019 for Tua - which Burrow ruined. 

We could have had Tua-to-Tee show in Cincy. That sounds catchy - pun intended of course.

I have to disagree with this. The Bengals didn't bring Jones, Lock, or Haskins in for a visit during the pre-draft process. Most of their draft prospects that year came from thr Senior Bowl and I remember Daniel Jones having mostly a rough week.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 12:10 PM)Synric Wrote: I have to disagree with this. The Bengals didn't bring Jones, Lock, or Haskins in for a visit during the pre-draft process. Most of their draft prospects that year came from thr Senior Bowl and I remember Daniel Jones having mostly a rough week.

I understand your argument for pre-draft visits. However; if Jones was there at 11, I feel he would have been the pick. 

All 5 Team with whom he had combine visits lined up, drafted a QB in 2019 or 2020. Not listed here are the Broncos, who were also interested in Jones, but settled for Lock in round 2. 

Giants knew this and wouldn't let him fall to Cincy, Miami or Washington, who were picking before them again at 18.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/1/18246704/duke-qb-daniel-jones-plans-to-meet-with-bengals
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 05:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chase is amazing, but honestly since we already had Burrow (and thus weren't looking at QBs) as long as we didn't draft Jaycee Horn no matter who else we picked in the top-13 we were getting a really good-to-great player. Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Sewell, Surtain, D Smith, Parsons, Slater... talk about a stacked top of the 1st. It was nearly impossible to mess up that pick so long as you weren't desperate for a QB.

We still putting Pitts in that category?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 02:22 PM)jason Wrote: We still putting Pitts in that category?

Ehh... I don't know. I would like to think if he had a real QB all along the answer would be an easy yes, but it's certainly less clear now. He put up 1k with Matt Ryan, but then struggled with a trio of scrub QBs (Mariota/Ridder/Heinicke). We'll see what happens with Cousins as he finally started targeting him a decent amount (with passes a bit further down the field no less) and immediately put up 88 yards in a win.

Seeing Burrow make Gesicki and Hurst look decent makes me think the answer here at least would be yes.

[Image: Sugar-daddy-2.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 10:34 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Webster's Dictionary defines hindsightism as NOT a word. 

Fursurely it is, cuz I just uzed it.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 11:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd agree with your point if applied to most NFL organizations, but this is the Mike Brown Bengals we are discussing. Things were so bad with the team that they could land both Burrow and Chase in the draft. Both those players contributed to the successful AFC Championship and Super Bowl run. Remove those two guys from the equation and the Duke/Zac era has had more failures than success when drafting.

None of that changes the fact we were in desperate need of a Left Tackle and Jonah was high on the board. You can look at any organization and say the same things with picks that don't work out. That's why the draft is a crap shoot. How many teams passed on Geno Atkins before he went in the 4th round? No one knows the future. Had the Bengals been the only team grading Jonah that high, that would be one thing. They weren't. I'm not a JW fan, but hindsight is 20/20 amd lame.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 04:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: None of that changes the fact we were in desperate need of a Left Tackle and Jonah was high on the board. You can look at any organization and say the same things with picks that don't work out. That's why the draft is a crap shoot. How many teams passed on Geno Atkins before he went in the 4th round? No one knows the future. Had the Bengals been the only team grading Jonah that high, that would be one thing. They weren't. I'm not a JW fan, but hindsight is 20/20 amd lame.

Would you then say it is hindsight and lame to praise the Bengals for drafting Atkins in round 4? According to your way too simple of logic you have to say "yes" to my question since you suggest it is lame to have an opinion about a past pick knowing the outcome. Hell, it's a common talking point among NFL fans that drafts shouldn't be graded on draft day, but rather seasons later. Thus it's fine to be critical of the pick and isn't lame at all.

Yes, one can look a organizations and say many things with picks that don't work out. Doing so isn't lame.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2024, 04:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: And we have played Simmons enough and fans really wanted Wilkins this past FA.

I wanted Wilkins myself and was pushing for a trade for Simmons this Offseason. Missed on a lot of good players for Jonah that is for sure.

Wish we would of kept Whit, not drafted Ogbuehi or Jonah and added other players looking back.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 05:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wish we would of kept Whit,

Retaining him, not drafting Jonah, and then, if still possible, getting Burrow and Chase might have netted the first Bengals Super Bowl victory.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 04:48 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Would you then say it is hindsight and lame to praise the Bengals for drafting Atkins in round 4? According to your way too simple of logic you have to say "yes" to my question since you suggest it is lame to have an opinion about a past pick knowing the outcome. Hell, it's a common talking point among NFL fans that drafts shouldn't be graded on draft day, but rather seasons later. Thus it's fine to be critical of the pick and isn't lame at all.

Yes, one can look a organizations and say many things with picks that don't work out. Doing so isn't lame.

No, it's what I said it was, the draft is a crap shoot. Sometines a highly rated player fails, and lower rated players excel. It's fine to criticize the player, but acting like drafting him was some boneheaded move because he was a meh tackle amd criticizing the front office and saying they are idiots for drafting him is what is lame. He had high grades, we needed a LT. It was a sound decision that just didn't pan out
Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t have made a difference… not like they would have resigned them anyways.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2024, 04:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Fursurely it is, cuz I just uzed it.

Sir, you should be behind bars for murdering our language.
Reply/Quote