Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The starting pitchers, ddo we have a playoff staff?
I've said this a thousand times and feel like a broken record, however. Winning in MLB is directly tied to having a great pitching staff.

And I strongly feel if the Reds are serious about making a run with this core they HAVE TO go out and get a real top shelf starting pitcher.

I was worried back early last season that Hunter Greene was gonna be a bust. But he came on very strong and I now believe he's a good un. But after him there's a lot of question marks???

Can Nick Lodolo pitch effectively for an entire season? The stamina just doesn't seem to be there. I feel Graham Ashcraft needs to be put in the bullpen. And I've all but gave up hope for Brandon Williamson.

On the other hand it seems Andrew Abbott and Nick Martinez would be good 3/4 type starters. Rhett Lowder flashed some good things but is still unproven.

In summary I just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about pitching an entire season + playoffs with the pieces we have.

Please Reds give us a chance and get a real ACE. And BTW a closer wouldn't hurt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No, because they're too fragile. Hunter Greene pitching 150.1 innings was the first time a Red had reached 150 innings in 3 years. He might be the only guy you could count on to be a playoff starter and that's scary because he's had a pretty extensive injury history.

Abbott threw about 103 innings (3.06 ERA) before he fell apart over his final 35 innings (5.66 ERA). That's very similar to 2023 where Abbott was great through his first 62 innings (1.90 ERA) before falling apart over his final 48-ish innings (6.42 ERA).

Lodolo was on the IL something like 3-4 times. He had a 2.76 ERA over his first 65 innings and then a 7.38 ERA over his final 50 innings before being done.

Nick Martinez (if they retain him) had a 3.84 ERA as a starter (89 innings) and a 1.86 ERA as a relief pitcher (53 innings).

- - - - - - -

Lowder seems promising, but way too small of a sample to be sure of anything yet.

They need to add 1 legit #2 type starter and 1 reliable inning eater.

[Image: image.gif.f0c2fdfbee928741dbfa5ce1eccafe9a.gif]
Reply/Quote
(7 hours ago)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No, because they're too fragile. Hunter Greene pitching 150.1 innings was the first time a Red had reached 150 innings in 3 years. He might be the only guy you could count on to be a playoff starter and that's scary because he's had a pretty extensive injury history.

Abbott threw about 103 innings (3.06 ERA) before he fell apart over his final 35 innings (5.66 ERA). That's very similar to 2023 where Abbott was great through his first 62 innings (1.90 ERA) before falling apart over his final 48-ish innings (6.42 ERA).

Lodolo was on the IL something like 3-4 times. He had a 2.76 ERA over his first 65 innings and then a 7.38 ERA over his final 50 innings before being done.

Nick Martinez (if they retain him) had a 3.84 ERA as a starter (89 innings) and a 1.86 ERA as a relief pitcher (53 innings).

- - - - - - -

Lowder seems promising, but way too small of a sample to be sure of anything yet.

They need to add 1 legit #2 type starter and 1 reliable inning eater.

Yes, and that's what worries me. I just don't think many of them have a full season + playoffs in them. We need pitching help, real pitching help to have a chance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote