Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reggie Freaking Nelson Watch
From what Hobspin said earlier, Nelson and the Bengals are mutually interested. They may have even come to an agreement on a figure. However, the Nelson camp is still holding out for a longer deal (that he likely won't get) and the Bengals are allowing him that time to shop. If it comes and goes without movement, he's back in Cincy.

The same might be said with LaFell, who at this point, can't really ask for a better situation to be a #2 WR in a good offense, with a good QB and on a good team. Again, he might be waiting for more money and the Bengals are confident it won't be coming.

Obviously...there is incentive for the team to not really be too public if this is the case...which might explain the lack of updates.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 05:10 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: From what Hobspin said earlier, Nelson and the Bengals are mutually interested.  They may have even come to an agreement on a figure.  However, the Nelson camp is still holding out for a longer deal (that he likely won't get) and the Bengals are allowing him that time to shop.  If it comes and goes without movement, he's back in Cincy.

The same might be said with LaFell, who at this point, can't really ask for a better situation to be a #2 WR in a good offense, with a good QB and on a good team.  Again, he might be waiting for more money and the Bengals are confident it won't be coming.

Obviously...there is incentive for the team to not really be too public if this is the case...which might explain the lack of updates.

Shawn Williams is a free agent in 2017.  

Re-signing Reggie Nelson to a 1 year deal would probably shelf Shawn Williams another year and create a huge problem in 2017.

No one knows how Shawn Williams will play as a starter.  
No one knows how long Reggie Nelson will beat out Father Time.

In addition, signing Reggie Nelson really restricts the Bengals in drafting a safety should a guy they like fall (Killebrew in the 2nd).  

I think Reggie Nelson has become a much better version of Chris Crocker who will get a call if the Bengals have an injury at safety.  

But, oddly, very, very oddly, I don't see Reggie fitting into the defense in 2016.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:32 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: Shawn Williams is a free agent in 2017.  

Re-signing Reggie Nelson to a 1 year deal would probably shelf Shawn Williams another year and create a huge problem in 2017.

In addition, signing Reggie Nelson really restricts the Bengals in drafting a safety should a guy they like fall (Killebrew in the 2nd).  

I think Reggie Nelson has become a much better version of Chris Crocker who will get a call if the Bengals have an injury at safety.  

But, oddly, very, very oddly, I don't see Reggie fitting into the defense in 2016.  
I tried to explain the Williams situation in a earlier post and a lot of people took it as Reggie bashing, some get attached to players and don't always want to see what's best for the organization. Anyway, I said I would like for Reggie to return but on our terms. He would be nice to have as insurance.... We have to find Williams a more valued role and make him want to stay a Bengal. He was a 3rd round pick and I'm sure he would be starting somewhere.
Also, I don't think we spend a 2nd round pick on a safety, they will pick one up in the later rounds like they did with Derron Smith last year. He was projected to be gone by the 3rd round but slid to the sixth because of a sports hernia. Hes another player that isn't mentioned, A lot of fans do not know about him because he came from a west Coast Mid major but because of the Nelson situation I started looking at our roster and possibilities and did a little research on Smith. This kid can play! I had remembered last fall camp when there was a lot of talk about Smith and his acrobatic INT'S. This guy has major ball skills, he was the Mountain west pick for Defensive player of the year twice... 3 time 1st team All Mountain west. He tied Troy Polamalu Las Vegas bowl record for tackles with 18 against USC. He may be another reason the Bengals are playing hard ball with Reggie.
With Iloka, Williams and Smith we are set with a young trio of good safeties. If we can draft another gem late and then bring Reggie back on our terms (Max 2 years) it would be a perfect world. Nobody is bashing Nelson it is just a business....   
Reply/Quote
I hope I am not too mature to rub the failed theory that Williams should equal Nelson in the face of those espousing it when it comes home to haunt them.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:06 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I hope I am not too mature to rub the failed theory that Williams should equal Nelson in the face of those espousing it when it comes home to haunt them.

You may have your day...who knows? But it doesn't seem the Bengals staff or the rest of the league feel the same way as you. I would tend to follow the actions of the people that I trust know best, that being the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Well, one of them barely saw the field, and one of them made the Pro Bowl.....
Reply/Quote
Well, Obviously you guys know more than the 32 NFL GM's do.... SMH
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:32 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: Shawn Williams is a free agent in 2017.  

A lot of good points here.

(03-30-2016, 11:07 AM)Brodude3 Wrote: I tried to explain the Williams situation in a earlier post and a lot of people took it as Reggie bashing, some get attached to players and don't always want to see what's best for the organization. Anyway, I said I would like for Reggie to return but on our terms. He would be nice to have as insurance.... We have to find Williams a more valued role and make him want to stay a Bengal. He was a 3rd round pick and I'm sure he would be starting somewhere.
Also, I don't think we spend a 2nd round pick on a safety, they will pick one up in the later rounds like they did with Derron Smith last year. He was projected to be gone by the 3rd round but slid to the sixth because of a sports hernia. Hes another player that isn't mentioned, A lot of fans do not know about him because he came from a west Coast Mid major but because of the Nelson situation I started looking at our roster and possibilities and did a little research on Smith. This kid can play! I had remembered last fall camp when there was a lot of talk about Smith and his acrobatic INT'S. This guy has major ball skills, he was the Mountain west pick for Defensive player of the year twice... 3 time 1st team All Mountain west. He tied Troy Polamalu Las Vegas bowl record for tackles with 18 against USC. He may be another reason the Bengals are playing hard ball with Reggie.
With Iloka, Williams and Smith we are set with a young trio of good safeties. If we can draft another gem late and then bring Reggie back on our terms (Max 2 years) it would be a perfect world. Nobody is bashing Nelson it is just a business....   

Derron Smith is a ballhawk from hell no question.

Shawn played very good in a limited role last season and he should start some time down the road. Shawn can cover,
tackle and make interceptions. It is not unlikely that he plays extremely well next season, i actually predict it.

Not saying we won't miss Reggie if he is gone, but it is not like we don't have players with high ceilings filling in.
Reply/Quote
Nelson will take over the role that Chris Crocker used to play; signed sometime during the year and play well but not get re-signed at the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 04:40 PM)Brodude3 Wrote: Well, Obviously you guys know more than the 32 NFL GM's do....   SMH

Yes. Why does that surprise you? 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:32 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: No one knows how long Reggie Nelson will beat out Father Time.

Is everyone aware that Nelson is 9 days older than Adam Jones, who we just re-signed for 3 years at a position that isn't as forgiving to older legs?

Meanwhile, Charles Woodson just retired as a safety at age 39.  Rod Woodson and Ed Reed also played safety on the other side of 35 years old.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Is everyone aware that Nelson is 9 days older than Adam Jones, who we just re-signed for 3 years at a position that isn't as forgiving to older legs?

Meanwhile, Charles Woodson just retired as a safety at age 39.  Rod Woodson and Ed Reed also played safety on the other side of 35 years old.

who cares? he's a good player but he turned down their original offer which supposedly was what they paid iloka with.  Now their offer is half that and he doesn't want to take it.  I know you guys think the bengal's should spread their cheeks for guys, but its a business and eventually he will take what they offer or he won't.  I want reggie back next year, but we have a couple of swing guys who can play corner or safety and Williams waiting to step up.  That means the bengals don't have to over pay and can let the market establish his price.

As far as apples to apples comparison with Pacman because of age is just crazy.  Pacman is a return man, one of the best corners in the nfl, and plays a more difficult position.  I am sure the bengals wanted him back which is why they offered him fair money.  He just wants more.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: who cares? he's a good player but he turned down their original offer which supposedly was what they paid iloka with.  Now their offer is half that and he doesn't want to take it. 

Link?
Reply/Quote
From reading between the lines on the Bengals website, it sounds like nothing will get done until after the draft. Sounds like the team is content heading into the draft as is.

So if we get Reggie back, it will at least be after the draft... probably even further.
Reply/Quote
I'd be okay with a 1 year deal. Maybe a 2 year deal if the price is right.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Is everyone aware that Nelson is 9 days older than Adam Jones, who we just re-signed for 3 years at a position that isn't as forgiving to older legs?

True, but Jones also has about 2 less years of wear and tear, from his suspension, and a year off from the neck injury. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 12:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: From reading between the lines on the Bengals website, it sounds like nothing will get done until after the draft. Sounds like the team is content heading into the draft as is.

So if we get Reggie back, it will at least be after the draft... probably even further.

Yep this is what I've been saying for a while. I think they bengals are still open to bringing him back but  I wouldn't expect that kind of move for at least another month until the draft rolls around.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: who cares? he's a good player but he turned down their original offer which supposedly was what they paid iloka with.  Now their offer is half that and he doesn't want to take it.  

If this is true, then Reggie Nelson is an idiot. 
Did he really think NFL teams would be breaking the bank for an aging safety with a multi-year contract?
He should have just stayed in Cincinnati, we treat our veterans right when they want to play here and finish out there careers.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 10:44 PM)magikod Wrote: If this is true, then Reggie Nelson is an idiot. 

It isn't true.
Reply/Quote
I'm feeling more confident at this point that Reggie will be back. He won't get the multi year deal he wants, but it is pretty apparent now he won't get that anywhere. If the Bengals offer a 1 or 2 year deal, I think he'll sign.
Reply/Quote