Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENGALS NEED THE EXTRA DAYS OF PRACTICE.
The Bengals were not ready for the start of regular season. The Baltimore game shows that. Then the Bengals had to play a few days later on Thursday, and that wasn't enough time to work on their many problems. I know all NFL teams have been forced to cut way back on training camp and preseason by the players union and NFL headquarters. Instead of Vince Lombardi standing on the blocking sled yelling at the players, or Paul Brown yelling at players up and down the field, Training Camp is now a touch football autograph session with the fans. Much like Rocky 3 having a soft training camp and Mr T knocks his block off, there are teams like the Bengals suffering from weak training camps. I hope the NFL allows them to have regular season practices, because the Bengals need some good, hard practices.

OK, the Bengals are 0-2. There will be other 0-2 teams and don't be surprised if Seattle and New England aren't in that group. Seattle has no offense and New England has no defense. The Bengals defense has played 2 good games. The offense has been awful. I will say if Eifert doesn't go out of bounds and back in, Dalton's throw is the touchdown needed to beat Houston. The O line stinks, but there have been big plays open and Dalton or the receivers are missing them. The team looks very preseason mode after regular season game 2. Hopefully they can work on some things with the extra days before game 3.

Mike Brown cast the die as he let both Zeitler and Whitworth go. He let Marvin Jones and Sanu and Andre Smith and Nelson and Hall go the year before. So Mike Brown has ripped apart at the team that started 8-0 the season before last. Carson Palmer, Jonathan Joseph, Gresham, Zeitler, there are many Bengals first round picks on other teams. We even have a kicker drafted too high in 2017 who is already on another team and will never play one game for Bengals, another wasted draft pick. Mike Brown refused to pay Max Montoya, Steinbach and now Zeitler. Mike Brown will NEVER pay for a top guard or center and he has madet that a public statement on TV, Radio and Newspapers for decades including 2017. Mike Brown is cheap to a fault. I have nothing against owners trying to make money and be under the salary cap, but Mike Brown is CHEAP to a fault. Amazingly he has sucked some fans into this as they post threads on how to cut more players to save Mikey Boy more money. I'm amazed these fans are more worried about Mike Browns bank account than winning football games.

So I still have hope for 2017. I thought the team played better in the second loss. If Seattle or New England start 0-2 people won't give up on them, and so I won't give up on Bengals yet. Hopefully the NFL allows them to use the extra days to practice because they sure need it. Still hopeful. If they can improve on blocking and hit weapons like Eifert, this offense has no place to go but up since they are at rock bottom. We do have a good defense and the kicking and special teams look improved.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Nah. What they need to do is go home for the weekend, and get their minds right. Outside if the O line, their problems are play calling (been addressed), and mental issues. Go home. Get right. See you Monday.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 07:17 PM)jason Wrote: Nah. What they need to do is go home for the weekend, and get their minds right. Outside if the O line, their problems are play calling (been addressed), and mental issues. Go home. Get right. See you Monday.

Sadly, Babying them too much is probably exactly what front office and coaches will do.  A team in dire need of extra practice time will probably be treated like fragile babies and not treated like men.  Sadly, you are probably right that they will go home and take the extra days off, and why not, they are so great already at 0-2. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They need a new LT and C to start
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 07:17 PM)jason Wrote: Nah. What they need to do is go home for the weekend, and get their minds right. Outside if the O line, their problems are play calling (been addressed), and mental issues. Go home. Get right. See you Monday.

I kinda get what your saying here and don't disagree.
(09-15-2017, 07:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Sadly, Babying them too much is probably exactly what front office and coaches will do.  A team in dire need of extra practice time will probably be treated like fragile babies and not treated like men.  Sadly, you are probably right that they will go home and take the extra days off, and why not, they are so great already at 0-2. 

Not babying them at all. With the firing of Zampese today, gives the players (who many have worked very hard in the offseason) a day off and a chance for the new OC to grasp his duties. He won't make a plan in a day. However, it will at least give everyone a chance to breathe and resume.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I fail to see how Dalton working on his timing to receivers would hurt. Here we have Tampa and Miami who have to play 16 games in a row. Excuse me if I don't feel sorry if our poor little Bengals would put in some practice time for the next 14 games left to play. Yes, the new OC could baby them also, but I think these players are better than that. What they need is to prepare to beat Green Bay and restore some pride and dignity in themselves. Stop worrying that practices may cause injuries. Accept injuries as a part of the game. Practice and put the the focus on becoming a TEAM. THE TEAM, THE TEAM, this must be their focus.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 07:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Sadly, Babying them too much is probably exactly what front office and coaches will do.  A team in dire need of extra practice time will probably be treated like fragile babies and not treated like men.  Sadly, you are probably right that they will go home and take the extra days off, and why not, they are so great already at 0-2. 

It isn't about babying them. Many of us complain about lack of accountability with the Bengals. Someone was held accountable today. The players need to go home, and think about that. The coaches need to get their shit together on these "off days" this weekend. Make some changes, and figure out how to implement them. Plenty of time to practice next week.

As bad as it's looked, the season is far from over.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 08:10 PM)jason Wrote: It isn't about babying them. Many of us complain about lack of accountability with the Bengals. Someone was held accountable today. The players need to go home, and think about that. 

Not just the players.  The coaches too (not named Paul Alexander).

I don't think Marvin would have made this move unless he knew that this is a sink-or-swim season.  This move, more than anything else, truly leads me to believe that this may be it for him - barring a miraculous turnaround.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 07:38 PM)kevin Wrote: I fail to see how Dalton working on his timing to receivers would hurt.  Here we have Tampa and Miami who have to play 16 games in a row.  Excuse me if I don't feel sorry if our poor little Bengals would put in some practice time for the next 14 games left to play. Yes, the new OC could baby them also, but I think these players are better than that. What they need is to prepare to beat Green Bay and restore some pride and dignity in themselves. Stop worrying that practices may cause injuries. Accept injuries as a part of the game.  Practice and put the the focus on becoming a TEAM.  THE TEAM, THE TEAM, this must be their focus.

You'd be surprised how restrictive the CBA is in regards to practice time.  You can't just throw an extra practice or two in there.  These are pros and it is their (coaches as well) job to make the most of their preparation throughout the week to be ready to play well and win on Sunday.  Obviously they have failed miserably so far at that.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 08:10 PM)jason Wrote: It isn't about babying them. Many of us complain about lack of accountability with the Bengals. Someone was held accountable today. The players need to go home, and think about that. The coaches need to get their shit together on these "off days" this weekend. Make some changes, and figure out how to implement them. Plenty of time to practice next week.

As bad as it's looked, the season is far from over.

Agree,

They need a couple days to clear it all out, wash it off, get rid of everything that's happened over the last several weeks. There's been absolutely no form, no function, no chemistry, period !

They need to come back and basically start over. Zampese didn't have a plan so it's not about learning a new plan. It's about starting one.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

They need a couple days to clear it all out, wash it off, get rid of everything that's happened over the last several weeks. There's been absolutely no form, no function, no chemistry, period !

They need to come back and basically start over. Zampese didn't have a plan so it's not about learning a new plan. It's about starting one.

I'm actually encouraged by what happened today. Eight quarters without a touchdown... Heads had to roll. Today was a breathe of fresh air... Finally there's some accountability.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Get the "clear the mechanism" theory but agree with OP.

They already have today off probably and should have already contemplated the ramifications of this move.

But hard work is required now to gel with this new OC and trudge forward.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile, on the other side of the ball, the secondary needs some work -- and possibly a better scheme -- with respect to downfield coverage. Opposing offenses are passing at will and converting on third and long.
Reply/Quote
The OC cut comes at the right time. Besides bye week, this is when they'll have the most time to make adjustments. I don't see much changing in the terms of the plays, but what plays are called, and what personnel is used. I can tell you for starters, expect more touches for Green/Eifert and less of this three headed monster running back system.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 12:23 AM)jason Wrote: I'm actually encouraged by what happened today. Eight quarters without a touchdown... Heads had to roll. Today was a breathe of fresh air... Finally there's some accountability.

First time in a long time that the organization has pointed a finger, and said, "No, we need to change this."

Definitely refreshing. I just hope the mental/emotional damage hasn't taken its toll. Still 14 games left in the season.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I looked at the calendar yesterday and September 14th and Bengals don't play until September 24th. That's a lot of time to get ready for Green Bay. Still, a lot of you are probably right. Instead of being on the practice field many Bengals will spend the weekend at the night strip bar clubs to clear their minds as you say. They will exhibit more energy in the clubs and strip joints than they did the first 2 games. I can see them wasting all this extra time to get ready for Green Bay. Oh well, they don't need to practice. They are so GREAT sitting there at 0-2 on the season and announcers calling them THE BUNGLES again. By all means, the should be practicing bending their elbows with drinks at the all night strip clubs. Extra practices, what was I thinking ? I just thought this offense looks like they haven't had one good day of practice all year, but hey, maybe they are so great they don't need to practice. No touchdowns tying the 1937 Eagles record, that's pretty good without practices.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

I remember hearing some of the 82 Bengals saying something to the effect of "you didn't want to get called out in the film room" and how guys would be sweating buckets during the film session.  That, and they were afraid of practices after a loss.  That is probably quite a difference from the gold clapper saying "let's go".

I am ready for a hammer.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 06:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember hearing some of the 82 Bengals saying something to the effect of "you didn't want to get called out in the film room" and how guys would be sweating buckets during the film session.  That, and they were afraid of practices after a loss.  That is probably quite a difference from the gold clapper saying "let's go".

I am ready for a hammer.  

The 81 and 82 Bengals had probably the best coach ever because we had Paul Brown still, but Forrest Gregg brought his Vince Lombardi approach to the Bengals and combining Vince Lombardi with Paul Brown took them to Super Bowl.  Now according to Bengals players Forrest Gregg had the hardest Bengals practices ever as they did grass drills until they puked. Funny though, the only era Bengals totally dominated Steelers was under Forrest Gregg and his hard practices. 

Maybe the players union and NFL headquarters may have rules about extra practices. I have heard of team leader players on other winning teams practicing in spite of the union and Commish.  Players, coaches, Owners better get ready for one small fact.  Many fans that went through the Bungles of 1990's and most of 2000 to 2010 aren't going to go through it again.    This team won 6 games last year and is 0-2 this year.  Many people work hard for their money and they just aren't going to spend their money on this garbage yet again. If this team flounders back into BUNGLES FOOTBALL, that stadium is going to be pretty empty. So will Great American Ball Park.  People are not going to spend their hard earned money on this garbage Cincinnati is putting on the fields.  I see many empty seats in their futures if these Cincy teams don't get it together. Owners, coaches, players may want to consider that. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 06:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am ready for a hammer.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 06:53 AM)kevin Wrote: The 81 and 82 Bengals had probably the best coach ever because we had Paul Brown still, but Forrest Gregg brought his Vince Lombardi approach to the Bengals and combining Vince Lombardi with Paul Brown took them to Super Bowl.  Now according to Bengals players Forrest Gregg had the hardest Bengals practices ever as they did grass drills until they puked. Funny though, the only era Bengals totally dominated Steelers was under Forrest Gregg and his hard practices. 

I don't mean to say that they just simply need tougher practices, but more accountability.  I don't give a damn about hurting a guys feelings, but being openly critical of a guy and riding his ass for poor technique that causes a bad play if fair game.  Stop coddling them.  Praise the good plays but ride their asses when they suck...and they would have plenty to be riding them on right now.  
Reply/Quote