Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't the Bengals sign a DC?
(02-14-2019, 03:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Grantham got more money and years to remain in Florida. Not much Taylor or the Bengals could do about that.

Capers will be 69 when the seasons starts, and may not have been interested in interviewing for a full-time DC job.

And as I said before, I don't think the Del Rio thing was ever very serious, which is likely why they only spoke on the phone.

Yeah, Grantham used the Bengals as leverage, and Capers & Del Rio were able to quickly decide they'd rather not coach this year than coach for the Bengals. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I don't get why people are so quick to make excuses for the Bengals not being about to attract a DC. It was widely reported that the Bengals were the least attractive head coaching position this offseason. It's only logical that the DC position would be seen the same way. 
Reply/Quote
The problem is not the city or the players. If that was the case then these guys would not even interview or have discussions.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 03:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Grantham got more money and years to remain in Florida. Not much Taylor or the Bengals could do about that.

Capers will be 69 when the seasons starts, and may not have been interested in interviewing for a full-time DC job.

And as I said before, I don't think the Del Rio thing was ever very serious, which is likely why they only spoke on the phone.

Even if that stuff is the case, shame on the Bengals for letting this DC thing stretch out so long.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:19 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Yeah, Grantham used the Bengals as leverage, and Capers & Del Rio were able to quickly decide they'd rather not coach this year than coach for the Bengals. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I don't get why people are so quick to make excuses for the Bengals not being about to attract a DC. It was widely reported that the Bengals were the least attractive head coaching position this offseason. It's only logical that the DC position would be seen the same way. 

All kinds of wild speculation here. I have heard a lot of the complete opposite and believe it more than what you say here. Del Rio i heard was interested but Taylor and him didn't see eye to eye, we have lots of players on Defense that would interest all kinds of Defensive minds and you are just a hater to say otherwise.

To say Geno, Dunlap, WJ3, Bates, Lawson, Hubbard wouldn't draw interest is stupid.

Most thought the Bengals were around the 3rd most attractive HC position from most reports i saw.

We have a solid NFL QB and superstars in AJ Green and Geno Atkins on both sides of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:19 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Yeah, Grantham used the Bengals as leverage, and Capers & Del Rio were able to quickly decide they'd rather not coach this year than coach for the Bengals. This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I don't get why people are so quick to make excuses for the Bengals not being about to attract a DC. It was widely reported that the Bengals were the least attractive head coaching position this offseason. It's only logical that the DC position would be seen the same way. 

According to cincinnati.com Grantham didnt like some of our personnel and used us as leverage.  Zac said no to Del Rio and Capers wasnt really ever on the radar.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem is not the city or the players. If that was the case then these guys would not even interview or have discussions.

Todd Grantham thought otherwise.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:16 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: According to cincinnati.com Grantham didnt like some of our personnel and used us as leverage.  Zac said no to Del Rio and Capers wasnt really ever on the radar.

That's the first thought I had when he said no.  He never really wanted the job to begin with.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:22 PM)McC Wrote: That's the first thought I had when he said no.  He never really wanted the job to begin with.

When we didnt hear anything by 6 PM last night I was pretty sure that Florida was hustling to make sure he didnt leave.  I think Grantham actually was interested but knew he could squeeze Florida.  I assume the Bengals matched his current deal and Florida just made sure he didnt leave by sweetening the pot a little.

Uprooting his family a 3rd time in 3 years and no income tax in Florida could have played a part in his decision too. But i dont think he woulda spent 2 days with us if he flat out wasnt interested. He got Florida to make him a better offer.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:28 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: When we didnt hear anything by 6 PM last night I was pretty sure that Florida was hustling to make sure he didnt leave.  I think Grantham actually was interested but knew he could squeeze Florida.  I assume the Bengals matched his current deal and Florida just made sure he didnt leave by sweetening the pot a little.

My thoughts exactly.....about all of it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:28 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: When we didnt hear anything by 6 PM last night I was pretty sure that Florida was hustling to make sure he didnt leave.  I think Grantham actually was interested but knew he could squeeze Florida.  I assume the Bengals matched his current deal and Florida just made sure he didnt leave by sweetening the pot a little.

Uprooting his family a 3rd time in 3 years and no income tax in Florida could have played a part in his decision too.  But i dont think he woulda spent 2 days with us if he flat out wasnt interested.  He got Florida to make him a better offer.

You're probably 100% right.

I propose two things from now on--

No one in the building says shit about any of it until the deal is struck.

Ask first, will you take the damn job if it's offered.

On second thought, make that three things--third, find and choke out whoever this "source" is.  This whole thing is being greatly compounded by the publicness of it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
If I were Taylor, I would make a run at my long time favorite from the beginning, Evero from the Rams.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:16 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: According to cincinnati.com Grantham didnt like some of our personnel and used us as leverage.  Zac said no to Del Rio and Capers wasnt really ever on the radar.

Uprooting his family a 3rd time in 3 years and no income tax in Florida could have played a part in his decision too. But i dont think he woulda spent 2 days with us if he flat out wasnt interested. He got Florida to make him a better offer.

Mikey knows whats up.
Reply/Quote
Bengals have the 12th best record this decade. Of the teams ahead of them, only 5 have changed coaches this decade (Packers, Broncos, Falcons, Chiefs, and Eagles).
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All kinds of wild speculation here. I have heard a lot of the complete opposite and believe it more than what you say here. Del Rio i heard was interested but Taylor and him didn't see eye to eye, we have lots of players on Defense that would interest all kinds of Defensive minds and you are just a hater to say otherwise.

To say Geno, Dunlap, WJ3, Bates, Lawson, Hubbard wouldn't draw interest is stupid.

Most thought the Bengals were around the 3rd most attractive HC position from most reports i saw.

We have a solid NFL QB and superstars in AJ Green and Geno Atkins on both sides of the ball.

Meh, go ahead and call names. We had a bottom 3 defense last year. To pretend the job is way more than that and the defense is oozing with talent when the team is on DC plan E/F/G (that we know about) is being unrealistic and a homer. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:29 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Meh, go ahead and call names. We had a bottom 3 defense last year. To pretend the job is way more than that and the defense is oozing with talent when the team is on DC plan E/F/G (that we know about) is being unrealistic and a homer. 

You'll see a lot of that on these boards in general.

Going into the last 2 offseasons there was talk about how great the offense was going to be and how it almost had too many weapons.

I do think the defense being bad this year was a bit of a surprise...but it was kind of easy to see the offense struggling with that bad offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Look at the bright side. Each and every one of these coaches turning down the DC job ought to put a bigger and bigger chip on the shoulders of our defense, if they have any pride at all.....
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You'll see a lot of that on these boards in general.

Going into the last 2 offseasons there was talk about how great the offense was going to be and how it almost had too many weapons.

I do think the defense being bad this year was a bit of a surprise...but it was kind of easy to see the offense struggling with that bad offensive line.

I will admit it is difficult to take a "relax...we will get a DC" attitude when our defense was bottom-tier last year because of our DC hire (or so we hope).  So basically, our defense is loaded with talent that should attract any DC here, but if we get the wrong DC all that attractive talent will plummet into the basement of NFL defenses.

Not exactly the best situation to be in if we are looking at getting our 17th choice of DC going in to 2019.

(02-15-2019, 10:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Look at the bright side. Each and every one of these coaches turning down the DC job ought to put a bigger and bigger chip on the shoulders of our defense, if they have any pride at all.....

And maybe David Klingler will send a Polaroid of our 1993 SB trophy to NY to really stick it to that quitter, Esiason!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:38 PM)McC Wrote: You're probably 100% right.

I propose two things from now on--

No one in the building says shit about any of it until the deal is struck.

Ask first, will you take the damn job if it's offered.

On second thought, make that three things--third, find and choke out whoever this "source" is.  This whole thing is being greatly compounded by the publicness of it.

I don't think the leaks are coming from the Bengals. All teams would much rather conduct searches in private.  Most often they are linked with the prospect's agents who are obviously in the loop and have a vested interest in promoting their client's desirability in the market.  

Winning makes believers of us all

Reply/Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/want-cincinnati-bengals-defensive-coordinator-cant-seem-land-one-225259151.html
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:27 AM)pally Wrote:  
I don't think the leaks are coming from the Bengals. All teams would much rather conduct searches in private.  Most often they are linked with the prospect's agents who are obviously in the loop and have a vested interest in promoting their client's desirability in the market.  

Well, agents are the scum of the earth so it makes sense.  Seems like they didn't used to do this level of blabbing, though.

Reply/Quote