Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF pass block comparison - Bengals OL vs Bucs OL
(04-24-2021, 06:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Speaking of OL grades...

It’s interesting to me that despite the Dolphins having an even worse OL than us (and a very injury prone QB) that there is no narrative from the national media about “kicking them out of the league” if they take a playmaker at #6.

[Image: EzvZE0iXsAA9WH_?format=jpg&name=900x900]

[Image: EzvVgg4XEAA_tkC?format=jpg&name=medium]

This is where PFF really gets exposed. O-Line is all about the whole being far more important than the sum of the parts. I have no problem with metrics judging individual performances. They mostly pass the eye test. Not so for team rankings. Tampa’s line was much, much better than the Bengals. PFF be damned.

As an old coach, I greatly prefer the team-oriented concept of Football Outsiders to the weaker PFF (even more so with o-line). In that regard, Miami clearly had a better year than the hapless Bengals o-line. It wasn’t great mind you, but it was clearly better (and since they went the 3 rookie starters even more so in my mind). We are talking mid-20’s rankings vs. late 20’s-30’s rankings but again, the 3 rookies.

Still, I believe with a full/nearly full seasons of Jonah, Spain, XSF and Reiff, plus a double dip in the draft, plus post-draft-training camp additions, and the development of the young o-lineman already on the roster and with my preferred wide zone scheme, the Bengals should expect significant improvement.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PFF pass block comparison - Bengals OL vs Bucs OL - CoachGeorge - 04-24-2021, 08:18 PM