Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D’Ante Smith a surprise or too small to play in the NFL?
(07-01-2021, 03:37 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: If anything, Zac’s drafting has centered around pure utility  (i.e. tailor play call to position strengths rather than fitting player into offense). It is a very money-ball strategy: Sample, Carmen, and others are not well rounded players but parts of their skill set are elite. D’Ante Smith might fit into that group - when I watch his film I see an undersized but mobile player. My question is how will he be used in this offense and can he play?

Not so sure about the statement that Carmen isn't a well-rounded player, but the story on Smith is a simple one:  measurables.  He has extreme length that simply can't be taught. Things happened in college that stunted his development.  Imagine him as a TE that shows up at Wisconsin his redshirt freshman year, and they add size and strength to him over the years and he earns a starting job his junior season.  By the time he is a senior, he is a starter at Offensive Line University.  

Smith is in the middle of that development.  He was a fourth round pick, so he isn't an injured lottery ticket like the LB Bailey out of Purdue taken in the 7th round a year ago.  They see real potential.  He will need at least a year to develop, but could end up being a steal.  

His ceiling is a quality starting RT in the NFL. His floor is a swing tackle that can fill an injured spot when needed.  Not bad for a fourth round pick.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D’Ante Smith a surprise or too small to play in the NFL? - SHRacerX - 07-02-2021, 10:49 AM