Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Run Blocking and Runners Looked Weak To Me
I thought the starting unit had trouble opening any running lanes for sure. Perine didn't do anything. Evans had a couple nice runs, but they were more due to him making a nice move than the run blocking. Patrick played well when our second string line was going against the 3rd string defense.

Our one TD drive was heavily aided by the refs. We had two gamechanging plays reversed (INT and big sack) due to questionable calls. We gave up those plays to begin with which is not very good to see. Yes the calls reversed the outcome, but it doesn't change the fact that we gave up some big momentum killing plays. Perine fumble was a huge play as well. The blocking was bad on that play. Play call wasn't great as the defense saw it coming as well. Then of course Perine can't hold onto the ball. Turnover turns into 6 points the other way on the next drive.

I liked what I saw from Evans. But I still think Bernard would be better right now. I get that Evans is younger though, and they want to move to younger players. However, Bernard was amazing at pass blocking (one of our biggest weaknesses); he was great in open space in both the run and pass game. Bottom line is Bernard is smart. It will take Evans a long time to get to were Bernard is in understanding how to block, and do all of the little things.

I didn't see much from our offensive line to tell me they were better than last year. I saw Hobson pointed out that we didn't give up any sacks. Well they had a clear runner with a huge sack that could have been a forced fumble, but it was called back on a questionable roughing the passer call when it didn't look like his helmet hit the QB. We also had the defense break free on Allen and he made a bonehead throw into coverage that was picked (then fumbled back to our offense). I saw a lot of pressure, even though we didn't technically give up a sack.

I saw too many turnovers by our backup QBs and fumbles by our skill players. One interception was called back on a questionable holding call (another bonehead throw).

Yes, there were bright spots. But overall it was a sloppy game and I didn't see enough from the oline that proved anything to me. Hopefully we see that improve. The oline and turnovers have been the worst part of our game the past few years. I didn't see anything in this game to prove that we turned a corner there.

On defense our pass rush, run defense, and coverage have been our worst part of our game. I am hopeful about our pass rush and run D. The starters looked decent in pass coverage. The second string looked terrible though. We need to develop more depth there.

Overall I think our pass game will have to set up our run game. We've got a lot of talent at wideout and Burrow is very good. I think we can make some noise. Our starters on D are good as well. Depth is a question mark but I think we will definitely be better than last year if we can stay healthy. Still a ways to go with the oline and developing our depth.

Gotta fix the turnovers as well.. One momentum killing fumble that turned into 6 on the next drive. One pick six when we were up 10 to open the door back up for the opponent (I understand this QB won't make the team, but still). Our backup skill players need to take care of the ball. Brandon Allen needs to make better decisions as well (he could see playing time this year).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Run Blocking and Runners Looked Weak To Me - Bengalstripes9 - 08-15-2021, 01:35 PM