Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teven Jenkins to have Back Surgery (Relevant to Bengals draft strategy)
(08-20-2021, 09:53 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: The point I was trying to make is that they got a recovering player Carmen PLUS 2 x 4ths. So in a sense they took out an insurance policy on the pick. I much prefer that method of drafting. It's actually very rare that turning down deaft volume works long term.

Don't think that's true at all.

Just in 2019, the Bengals traded down and picked up 2 extra picks (Renell Wren and Trayveon Williams) and took Drew Sample. Elgton Jenkins and AJ Brown (both positions of need at the time) were both taken in the gap between their original pick and the Sample pick. Also a better TE (Irv Smith Jr) was also taken in between those picks.

In 2017, the Bengals traded down and picked up 1 extra pick (Josh Malone) and took Joe Mixon. The team that traded up got Dalvin Cook.

In 2012, the Bengals traded down and picked up 1 extra pick (Brandon Thompson) and took Kevin Zeitler. The team that traded up got Chandler Jones and David DeCastro got picked in between the original pick and the new pick.

Of course everyone remembers trading down with the Rams so they could take Steven Jackson and the Bengals got Chris Perry. The Bengals got Stacy Andrews out of that trade.

....It's actually pretty much never worked out well for the Bengals trading down at the top couple rounds of the draft. Hopefully this one proves to not be the norm for the Bengals. You'd almost think they're due for getting the nice end of a deal just by sheer odds and that'd be great to see... The two guys seem promising, but I guess we won't know for sure until a year or two from now.

(The only one I can think that wasn't a massive negative for the Bengals was when they traded down and still got Bates, but they added Malik Jefferson with their upgraded pick... so that part of the trade was basically worthless. Lol... so their only non-failure was a push.)

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teven Jenkins to have Back Surgery (Relevant to Bengals draft strategy) - TheLeonardLeap - 08-20-2021, 01:10 PM