Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Can We Make A Run With This O-Line
(11-21-2021, 09:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I completely get what you are saying, but the problem is the opposing defenses don't have to respect the run and they are keying on the passing game, and that is getting Burrow hit way too much.  How B A D is Cincinnati without Burrow?

I am not saying they need to be a run-first team, with a higher % on the run, but even 2-3 yard runs early in a game have a way of opening things up and they also pay dividends in the fourth quarter.  

Ask any offensive linemen what he would rather be doing:  run block or pass block.  They will tell you run block every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  It motivates them to DRIVE someone rather than retreat and catch someone.  

Mixon has been one of the highest rated PFF players on the team, especially his running scores.  He is averaging 4.2 yards per carry.  Derrick Henry is averaging 4.3.  The difference is the Titans keep pounding Henry and he eventually breaks one.  It also, as previously mentioned, really wears down opposing defenders.  I know there is about a 20 lb difference between Henry and Mixon, but trust me, if you are a 185 lb DB, and you have to tackle Mixon and then sprint after Higgins or Chase the next play, you are happier when Mixon isn't getting carries.

Burrow has also been lethal out of play-action.  He may love empty, but I think if they want to keep him healthy, running and more play-action is the key.

Two things I hope to see out of this offense this week:   A few more carries for Mixon and more high % targets for Boyd. Grind them down, keep their offense off the field.  

5 of Burrow's 11 interceptions have come on play action.  He's also been sacked on 8 of 73 play action Dropbacks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can We Make A Run With This O-Line - Whatever - 11-22-2021, 11:14 AM