Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
An unconventional off-season strategy we should employ
(01-08-2022, 06:24 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Thinking about the way our cap situation is going to play out over the next few years presents us with a unique opportunity to trade draft picks for in their prime talent.  Since in 2-4 years we will have to pay big deals on Burrow, Chase, Tee and Wilsons 2nd contracts, 2022 draft picks are less valuable.  They are less valuable because if they ball out it is very unlikely we will even have the cap space for their 2nd contracts after unloading on the above mentions current young studs.  

Our current cap space is wide open however, 200million or so and that's before we cut Waynes bad deal.  Give or take 40 million to re-sign Spain, Ogunjobi and BJH and we still have a lot of money to work with.  I would be looking for teams with top talent especially along the OL and offering up draft picks in trades.  A team like New Orleans for example may be willing to part ways with a premier but 28 year old tackle like Ryan Ramczyk for a 2nd round pick.  A team like Philly may let us snag Jason Kelce for a 3rd or 4th since he is older.  These players would be invaluable to us over the next 3-4 years while our SB window is open.  Just a thought.

Yeah I've thought about this and we may need to get creative this off-season. But depending what happens with Bates and Waynes may add more needs for the team. I also think we may need to try and add a linebacker in the 2nd round if we like a guy there. Also this draft seems to be deep at DT so if we can't sign both Hill and Ogunjobi we might be able to get a DT in the 3rd that is a contributor. This off-season will be interesting and hopefully we can find a way to add key pieces while also keeping the majority of our own as I think we're very close.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: An unconventional off-season strategy we should employ - NUGDUKWE - 01-08-2022, 10:09 AM