Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An argument that the Bengals are the better football team on the field tomorrow
(01-30-2022, 02:26 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Are you a strength of schedule person? The Chiefs wins this regular season came against: Browns, Eagles, WFT, [Giants, Packers, Raiders x2, Cowboys, Broncos x2, Chargers, Steelers]
--- The teams contained in brackets reflect the second half "surge" the Chiefs enjoyed, winning 8 of 9.
--- Absolutely none of those wins is impressive. Even the Packers win was a 6-point squeaker against Jordan Love.
--- This means the Chiefs have won one game all year that I think qualifies as a "great win" -- last week's divisional playoff win over the Bills. And they were 13 seconds and maybe a squib kick short of losing that game.
The Bengals' wins are comparable in the regular season, with what I'd call two "great wins" overall -- over the Chiefs themselves and in the divisional playoffs over the Titans.

Are you a person that prefers to compare position groups? I think all of the following are reasonable takes:
Quarterback -- Chiefs ≥ Bengals
Running back -- Bengals > Chiefs
Offensive line -- Chiefs > Bengals
Wide receivers and tight ends -- Bengals > Chiefs
Defensive line -- Bengals = Chiefs
Linebackers -- Chiefs ≥ Bengals
Secondary -- Bengals > Chiefs
Special teams -- Chiefs ≥ Bengals
I place these inequality symbols with only a mind for objective production and past trends. Do you think Joe Burrow can hang with Patrick Mahomes in a postseason game? Do you think Evan McPherson can hang with Harrison Butker? I do. If you believe in things like that, then the Bengals are at least Kansas City's equal in summation. I don't personally care for this kind of comparison, but it's not entirely invalid.

Are you a matchups-oriented person?

If you're a SoS person, rather than doing all that typing... 
Bengals SoS: -1.86
Chiefs SoS: +0.56

Bengals SRS: 3.08 (12th)
Chiefs SRS: 7.28 (5th)

- - - - - - -

As soon as you grouped WRs and TEs together, it's got to be a =....  3,919 yards/29 TD vs 3,889 yards/28 TD for each teams top 4 WRs + top TE. That's about as identical as you can get.

Not sure how the Chiefs get a _ on their LBs.... According to PFF, Chiefs have a guy ranked 14th and a guy ranked 28th. Bengals highest ranked guy is Logan Wilson at 41st.

- - - - - - - -

This is silly because the Bengals gave up 511 yards to the Jets.

- - - - - - -

.......I realize that the board is just being flooded by unbounded optimism and giant Who Dey rant threads right now, but come on... don't lose touch with reality.

That's not to say the Bengals can't beat the Chiefs, they absolutely can (and did earlier). Just take a breath and put down the kool aid is all I am saying.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: An argument that the Bengals are the better football team on the field tomorrow - TheLeonardLeap - 01-30-2022, 06:17 AM