Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's discuss the 4th WR on the depth chart- upcoming season
I'm all for BPA, and I understand the intrigue of adding to a strength, but I'd rather upgrade a more pressing need early on. With Chase, Higgins, and Boyd as your 1-3, the WR4 is the 4th option at best (really, 6th, with Mixon and Hurst in the mix), and when you have that may good weapons demanding coverage it's easier for the guys lower on the depth chart to produce.

Of the guys we have, I like Morgan for his blocking (in addition to special teams). He can certainly carve out a role, and I hope we can get him more involved on offense. I also like Taylor as a second slot in 4 wide sets, and also as a substitute for Boyd when he needs rest. He has really good, reliable hands, which also play well on punt returns. I'm perfectly fine sticking with him as our primary punt returner, I cannot overstate how nice it is to not have to worry about a muff. I hope we see him a little more on offense too. Mike Thomas is a solid role player but I can see him being a camp cut, who possibly becomes a veteran PS stash. Ditto with Trenton Irwin, who I think has a future coaching.

On to possible hidden gems, Makai Polk in the 7th is someone who I'd like. Could be our Auden Tate successor, not quite as big but still has good size. Polk didn't do much in college until breaking out in 2021 with over 1000 yards and 9 TD. Those are impressive numbers in the SEC. Projected as a 7th rounder or UDFA.
Plus how can you not like his confidence?
https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/football/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-wide-receiver-makai-polk-mississippi-state-football
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's discuss the 4th WR on the depth chart- upcoming season - BuildTheWall - 03-23-2022, 02:36 AM