Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe B. becoming national NFL icon??
(04-10-2022, 01:32 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Again...the NBA has been much more liberal with what constitutes an assist in the modern era. You can pass to a guy, have him make moves to beat a defender, and the assist is still rewarded. This wasn't the case in previous eras.

2. It's not an apples to apples comparison. The Celtics had point guards, while LeBron has almost always ran the LeBron system and brought the ball up. Hence more assists. That said, your folly is blindly associating passing skill with assist totals.

My eyes see better court vision and a far more impressive highlight reel with Bird. Both in passing and general court vision. So we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Which is fine. Imo, Bird likely would've been a point forward in this era, and his assists would've gone way up as a result.

3. I provided a good link from ESPN which gave 10 years worth of data. Bron sucks on clutch shots. If you can't even admit that Bird is more clutch than Bron, that tells me all I need to know. LOL

I also strongly disagree with you on what constitutes a clutch shot. You want to include entire 4th quarters? Or something close? Nothing is more clutch than the game being on the line with 5 seconds left. Nothing. So that's what I look at, and most people who aren't trying to defend their guy.

Be honest, are you a Cavs or LeBron fan?

I'll be honest, I didn't even see the link. For some reason, the orange link blended in with your sig for me at first glance and I didn't register it. I think that "clutch" is at least more encompassing than the final five seconds. If a player goes off for the final three minutes of a game but misses a shot in the final five seconds, does that mean he is not clutch? I don't think so. That's really what I am getting at. I also think to suck, you have to have an idea of what you're comparing to. I don't know how Bird, or anyone else has performed in the same situations. The statline looks absolutely awful, but it would help to at least have context to see how other guys performed. I would assume that Lebron was easily worse, but I don't know. I would also be curious to see how that stat has changed since 2016. 

In the end, agree to disagree, that's fine with me. And no, I am not a fan of either the Cavs or Lebron. I live in Oklahoma and I am a staunch Thunder fan. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread