Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Sample take snaps at DT last year?
(04-30-2022, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know when we drafted him they talked about him being versatile and maybe playing inside on passing downs.

But I don't remember him doing this much. To be honest I never payed that much attention to exactly where he was lining up.
You don’t remember because he was ineffective inside. Just didn’t have the body for it. For him to get on the field this season he may wanna put on weight. I have a hunch Ogunjobi will be back at some point and with Ossai healthy this pushes Hubbard inside a lot more so there just won’t be the available snaps if there isn’t major injury. I also feel like we’re gonna make BJ Hill earn that contract and up his snaps.

(04-30-2022, 02:58 PM)kalibengal Wrote: he was average IMO and maybe had 1 sack?? ....the Carter pick reminds me of Sample, I just hope hes better
He was a rookie but even then you want a guy to do a little more with that many snaps.
(04-30-2022, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cam Sample actually played pretty well for a 4th round rookie.

He played about 30% of the defensive snaps (310).  He had 14 tackles, 11 Pressures (Hurries+Knockdowns+Sacks), and 5 QB Hits.

Not big numbers at all, but that is good production from a 4th round rookie.  Most rookies get better.  Don't know if he will ever be a starter, but defensive line plays more rotation than any other position group.  Sample could grow into a very good back up that plays 40+ percent of the snaps.  Those type of guys are key to a good defense.
His only hope of PT is putting on weight and being a utility guy that backs up every d line position
(05-01-2022, 11:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: According to PFF, of Sample's snaps last season, he only lined up on the interior 18 times the entire season, with 8 of those coming in the first week of the season.  

I found it interesting that Sample started trending in the right direction from an overall rating standpoint (run and pass rush defense grades) and then, he would get injured, and he would come back with a low score again....Low, low/med, med, med/good...injured.  Happened two times during the season as he missed a total of six games.

He was just 21 last season, and if he worked really hard this offseason, he should  have no problem being about 290 lbs and perhaps earning more snaps inside.  The loss of Ossai clearly impacted his positional usage, as did the injuries to Kareem.  
Hopefully he breaks the rotation. His only chance is to have a great preseason, then make some noise before Ogunjobi gets healthy
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Sample take snaps at DT last year? - Housh - 05-01-2022, 12:16 PM