Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(05-19-2022, 02:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: right a second tag would not give him any increase if he never played the first one..

Are you sure about that?  I was just looking through franchise tag prices, and one of the things I read about the LeVeon Bell situation was that the Steelers didn't want to pay the or strangle their CAP with the 3rd TAG number which is 40% about the top 5 average.  If Bell didn't play under the 20% second tag bump, then why would they be concerned about the 40% bump on tag 3?  What am I missing?

In regard to safety, the numbers going through my head were as follows - 1st Tag - 12m/yr; 2nd Tag - 14.4m/yr; 3rd Tag - 17.2 m/yr:  Yes these numbers would obviously go up as the avg. increases per year, so the 2nd and 3rd tags would be worth more than these numbers.

So the 3rd Tag barely gets him to where he'd be by signing for (some have speculated this number) 17m.yr or even 15m/yr because if he sits out two years that's 26.5 mil lost.

And another thing to consider....if Bates sits out two tags, that two of his prime years gone.  He would have walked about from 27 mil guranteed, while likely turning down at least 15m/yr from the Bengals (a reasonable number).  He'll never get that money back.  It's money lost, due to age and years played.  He could sit two years and come out and sign a 5yr 100mil contract, but he'll never get a 3rd contract, and after not playing for two years, he'll find his market VERY thin.  More reasons why players do not have the leverage that some think they do.  Their clocks are ticking, constantly, and teams know it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - IcoHolic - 04-29-2022, 04:16 PM