Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Would you trade Mixon for a McCaffrey-like deal?
(10-21-2022, 12:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I do understand your position, and agree with parts of it. I will still contend that if Mixon were cut today, pushing Perine into the starting spot, the overall production would largely be the same. Now, part of what I prefer is that Perine not be a feature back but part of a committee. I don't want a feature back - run Perine, Evans and ??? out there. Or, remove Perine and run another ??? out there. I don't care. The Bengals do not have elite talent in their RB room currently and can get this production elsewhere. 

Grabbing a day three guy often, like you suggested, would be fine. Every few years, grab another late round guy and plug & play. You won't get elite play, but you don't need elite play at RB. Serviceable is just as good from a team success standpoint. 

I agree with you and Perrine is not strictly a 3rd down back. He caught a pass last week on 2nd and 5 down and ran the ball on 1st down another time.He's certainly not a 3 down back.

Perrine ran the ball for 400 yards in a major college game and averaged almost 13 ypc. in that game and had over 4100 yards in his college career. Lots of reasons (and talent is one of them obviously) why guys come into the league and aren't featured and some players accept that and strictly work on what they're told that they are good at. I'd say the one issue I have with ZT is him NOT using more RB's and throwing the D a curve ball.

Perrine runs much lower than Mixon and is so much harder to find in the pile and always keeps the legs churning. Problem is he fumbled once last year and wasn't spectacular on a play in the SB and half the board wants him cut. I'm not even a big Perrine guy so when he ran great against the Jets earlier this year I said that alot of those yards were because the Jet defenders were strictly trying to strip the ball. I would have no issue in the right type of game for Perrine to get 7-8 carries.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you trade Mixon for a McCaffrey-like deal? - higgy100 - 10-21-2022, 03:09 PM