Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 DL Draft Prospects Group Assessment
III. Analysis: DE/Edge & NT/DT

More than any other position group, reserve DL play regularly, absent injury. TE2 & RB2 play a lot, but not much beyond that. In the DL, 8 of these guys play even when we are healthy.

All 10 rostered guys are signed for 2023, as are the 2 PS guys. 3 of 4 starters are signed theu 2024 (or longer), and the exception (Reader) is a guy you re-sign, not replace. In my view, Reader & Hendrickson are to the D what Burrow & Chase are to the O: foundational cornerstones you build around. They are going nowhere.

While some national analysts will look at the meager sack to we had last year and conclude that we need a pass rusher, this overlooks the fact that our pressure rate is VERY good. Reader (87.3) and Hendrickson (85.0) are otherwordly according to PFF & their pressure rates. While Hubbard (72.4) and BJ Hill (65.8) are more than solid. There are no "holes" to fill here in terms of starters. And the starters are a significant upgrade from the reserves. And we don't really save a ton of $$ by waiving Sam or BJ. They are going nowhere, too

In terms of backups, Ossai was coming off a lost rookie year due to injury and really picked it up late. He was our best pass rusher vs KC, especially late. Sample is more of a hybrid DE/DT whi is stout on the edge vs the run. More like Hubbard. He played more snaps and rated out higher than Ossai via pff (58.0 to 55.3). Neither guy was gangbusters, but both are young and improving and cheap. I'd be stunned if both are not back.

After that, it is a little more dubious. Gunter hardly played, and if a good edge prospect is available, and it is a pretty deep class (Van Ness, Foskey) I could see an upgrade at DE. But there are other areas in MYCH mire yegent need of attention at the moment (TE, CB, S, OT, WR/IOL depth). We have good starters and decent depth at DE.

The story at NT/DT is similar. Though I am not quite as convinced on the depth. Tupou is a decent backup ( 57.0 & 56.4 the last two years), but he was 73.8 in 2019 before sitting out 2020. Tufele was signed off the street this year when Reader & Tupou got hurt and played admirably (49.8) as the #3 NT. Carter started off horribly but improved enough at the end that I do not think we give up on him yet despite the poor PFF score as Hill's backup (32.1).

The guys most oikely to get replaced are Gunter and Tufele. I doubt we give up on Carter yet, which means there is not really room for a DT type (Kancey) unless we carry 11 DL (possible) or decide to carry 3 DTs and 2 NTs in the 53 rather than the other way around. I also doubt that happens, since we use DE's inside on throwing downs a lot for inside pass rush.

A hybrid DE/DT who takes Gunter's spot on the roster would be my best bet for a draft pick at this position group early (Van Ness, Keion White, Tuli Tuipulotu, etc). I could also see at NT type to upgrade from Tufele (Ika, Benton, Dexter). Mazi Smith had some off firld stuff I don't like but is also a decent prospect. And again, I like Kancey but I just don't see it unless we carry 11 or change roster philosophies or pull the plug on Carter.

Overall, it is gonna need to be really good value to use an early pick on the DL, and there are other needs that seem MUCH more pressing. Once you get to round 4 & beyond, is the guy really gonna be better than what we have?

Next to QB, LS, and PK, I'd rate the need here as least urgent. Tupou is a FA in 2024. So is Reader, who is must keep in my book. Everyone else inked until 2025 or longer.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023 DL Draft Prospects Group Assessment - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 02-24-2023, 02:24 PM