Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SP trade targets you like
(07-03-2023, 08:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No matter how you cut it they need to add 2 decent starters at a minimum. They don't need to be all stars, but they need to at least be guys who can give you 6 innings of 3 run ball. 

LOL, OK. So far, we've both suggested the same amount of Starting Pitcher Trade Targets in the "SP trade targets you like" thread. All I was saying is that teams may not want to deal until later and the Reds have re-enforcements coming back near that time. It cost Minnesota Spencer Steer to get Tyler Mahle . . . which is close to a 6 inning, 3 run pitcher(4.50 ERA). I'm not sure that they want to break up team chemistry for a rental.

Mahle's career 4.35 ERA in Cincinnati includes half of his starts at GABP. Getting a 4.50 ERA pitcher outside of Cincinnati will probably get you a 5.something ERA after pitching some time in GABP. If you're wanting a 6 inning, 3 run pitcher IN Cincinnati, he's going to have to have a 4.00 ERA or less because that ERA is going to take a hit at GABP, especially in the summer heat. 

Castillo
3.54 Cincinnati
3.15 Seattle

Gray
3.49 Cincinnati
2.83 Minnesota

Mahle
4.35 Cincinnati
3.64 Minnesota - only 9 games

DeSclafani
4.19 Cincinnati
3.83 San Francisco

Iglesias
3.15 Cincinnati
2.76 LA/Atlanta combined
3.07 LA Angels
2.12 Atlanta

Quote:All these bad starters are also going to burn out the bullpen before we reach the postseason. I think we're already seeing it a bit with Diaz having a 4.00 ERA over his last 9 appearances, and on pace to appear in almost half of the games this year, Farmer with a 10.50 ERA over his last 7 appearances, Gibault 6.43 ERA over his last 7 appearances, Sims 9.00 ERA over his last 5 appearances.
So it's the starters fault that the Closer pitches a lot? That's a new one. 

And as for the ERAs the last few appearances, welcome to Summer baseball at GABP. The Reds are 18-4 in their last 22 games during these stretches with the inflated ERAs. The "Rally Reds" are also taking advantage of this heat. The team that couldn't hit a HR early on now has the second longest active streak of games with a HR.

I've stated many time before over the years, that Bell overuses the bullpen by making too many changes. Not enough pitchers are used for 2 innings. If Bell makes a pitching change to finish off the 5th inning, there's a good chance you're seeing 4 or 5 relievers tonight. This year, they made a conscious effort in Spring Training to put pressure on the base paths. At the end of this year, I would tell every reliever in the system to "stretch out" to be able to pitch two innings per outing and use that approach when building next years bullpen.
Quote:One thing that will come into play later?

Greene has never thrown 130 innings in a season.
Lodolo has never thrown 120 innings in a season.
Abbott has never thrown 120 innings in a season.

Greene has 73 1/3 innings and is scheduled to come back with less than two months left in the season. If he gets to 140, no need to shut him down.
Lodolo has 34 1/3 innings and is near the same time frame to return as Greene
Abbott has 91 1/3 innings in AA, AAA and in Cincinnati. He'll set a career high this month

Here's also what I said June 29th.
Quote:And don't forget that Connor Phillips just got promoted to AAA. It didn't take Andrew Abbott long in AAA, hopefully Phillips rises to the occasion.

Not saying that I don't want them to make a move . . . I'm just saying that I won't lose my mind if they stay within the organization.
There is still one more start needed from either a AAA starter or a bullpen day before the break. Since that start is due Sunday in Milwaukee, I'm guessing that it will be a bullpen game because everybody but Diaz has 4 days off after that game. Personally, I'd give it to a minor leaguer like Stoudt or another guy that pops up out of nowhere like Kennedy to help eat some innings.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 06-29-2023, 12:53 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 06-29-2023, 08:11 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 07-04-2023, 01:02 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 07-04-2023, 05:13 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - samhain - 07-01-2023, 11:03 AM
RE: SP trade targets you like - SladeX - 07-01-2023, 10:57 AM
RE: SP trade targets you like - SladeX - 07-04-2023, 03:19 AM
RE: SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 07-11-2023, 12:04 PM